Starting from console and menu: different effect

I have one application which seems to work well when started from command line but cannot load documents when started from menu and also the cursor has form of the clock for some time after executing the application from menu.

I wonder why there is so different behavior and how to make it work well anyway.

When you launch it from the terminal, what output do you get there.
What is the mysterious application?

No output

What is the mysterious application?

Abs

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Ansus/openSUSE_11.2/i586/abs-0.8-46.1.i586.rpm

Starting from command line ‘abs’ works well.
Starting from menu (office->spreadsheet) does not open documents and the cursor looks like a clock.

Check your exec line in the desktop file, I suspect it is something to do with the file expansion parameter.

I tried different variants including simply abs, env LANG=C abs and starting a script which in turn starts abs - the result is the same. When started from menu, it works wrongly.

I would be then inclined to think it is something related to the env exactly what wouldn’t like to guess, something like maybe a path is wrong from the menu but not console.

Mmm it sort of works but is messy I for one would not recommend this to anyone, it looks unmaintained and very, very old. Not to mention macros :open_mouth: I want something that is maintained and at least getting updates. How Old 10 years old is approaching archaeology in pc terms.

Go to advanced and tell it to run in terminal.

But unless you can really think of more than several good reasons to host this I really wouldn’t bother I’m not sure it offers anything that OOo calc doesn’t and that is being maintained and constantly updated.

This is a matter of principle, I want to know why the same application works well when run from console but does not work when run from menu. I encountered such things multiple times already.

Yes, I expected people would say not to use this program rather than give an advice how to make it work well from menu.

Because it is <blinking>10</blinking> years old and <blinking>Unmaintained</blinking>

I told you how to fix it. It’s packages like this that give OBS a bad name.

?? May be I missed something? How to fix it?

I have just checked the environment variables in console session and when running an app from menu - the variables are exactly the same. What can cause this different behavior? It seems some people experience similar problems with other applications, such as Opera browser etc. They start from terminal but do not start from menu.

edit the menu and go to advance change to run in terminal.

As to how that effects the desktop exec I’m not sure you’ll have to do the discovering I uninstalled it. Look where the DE is putting edited menu .desktop files(I suspect ~/.local/share/applications but could be DE specific) I suspect a new var has turned up then you would edit the desktop file so it ran in terminal. At the moment it doesn’t as to why you need to hack around like so contact the software author.

Edit
In regards to other apps that is far from normal I’m pretty sure I could install opera and it’ll work fine. I’m testing your package on a pretty clean install I don’t think it even has packman as a repo.

edit the menu and go to advance change to run in terminal.

What does it mean? You English is very poor. I already tried to make a link to a script from menu, but the result is the same. Or do you mean something different?

I suspect a new var has turned up then you would edit the desktop file so it ran in terminal

I can edit the menu item by right-clicking on the menu. I do not need to search for .desktop file. and I already tried many variants.

I don’t think it even has packman as a repo.

It is in OBS, you can see it from the link.

Your comprehension is! You’re maintaining packages I shouldn’t need to give you step by step destructions, for an OS or DE I don’t use day to day.

1)Left or right click on the menu button(Not got suse or kde on cant remember)
2) Choose edit menu
3) Navigate to abs in entry in office/spreadsheet
4) On right side there is advanced tab click it, check the box run in terminal.

I don’t care for where it is, after you have done the editing, it will create a new desktop file for the user(You) in your home somewhere. You need to find this and work out what the difference is between the one at /usr/share/applications, not me I’m not maintaining it.

Or google how to get an app to run in terminal according to desktop specs.

1. On right side there is advanced tab click it, check the box run in terminal.

There is no such thing here. This is maybe because you use KDE.

OK point taken, do you not have anything like run in terminal option otherwise it is google. I’m pretty sure any way with gnome it will eventually end up where I said if I remember correctly, that is desktop specs ~/.local/…

You could perhaps test it may not even be anything more than changing the exec command to

terminal -e command_to_run

I think terminal is non DE specific but certainly can’t guarantee it.

@Ansus: IMHO you are trying to work on a level you don’t have (yet) in linux. To create packages/programs you need at least some basic understanding of linux, the desktop, directory structure etc. From previous posts and this one, I get the idea that that is where your problems relate to. And qualifying someones english as ‘poor’ doesn’t help much either.

Well, it seems the problem in the desktop file. This is because StartupNotify=true option.

IMHO you are trying to work on a level you don’t have (yet) in linux. To create packages/programs you need at least some basic understanding of linux, the desktop, directory structure etc

When I asked people to package some stuff they said that I should package myself. So trying.

@Knurpht don’t worry about me I’ve got thick skin. I also know I tend to start very concise.

@Ansus
And rightly so good find then and well done on the successful bug shooting. I still think you should really reconsider hosting this. But at the end of the day it’s your home. I just think being unmaintained for 10 years and including macros is a possible security risk I couldn’t get it off quick enough.

Remember quality not quantity.

After better looking seems the problem is still there :frowning: