Start of soundserver ?

Hi.

I have forgotten how I start a soundserver.


!!Sound Servers on this system
!!----------------------------

Pulseaudio:
Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/pulseaudio)
Running - Yes

ESound Daemon:
Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/esd)
Running - No

How do I that ?

Erik Jakobsen
Opensuse 12.3 64bit
Linux linux-z96b.site 3.7.10-1.11-desktop
KDE Version 4.10.2 “release 1”

Erik, when posting between CODE tags, the last tag should begin with a “/”, not a “” is you type the tags manually.

AFAIK you can still use Yast to start services.

On 10/06/13 10:26, Knurpht wrote:
>
> Erik, when posting between CODE tags, the last tag should begin with a
> “/”, not a “” is you type the tags manually.
>
> AFAIK you can still use Yast to start services.
>
>
Thanks for the info about CODE tags.

I will look in Yast.


Erik Jakobsen
Opensuse 12.3 64bit
Linux linux-z96b.site 3.7.10-1.4-desktop
KDE Version 4.10.2 “release 1”

On 06/10/2013 08:47 AM, Erik Jakobsen wrote:
> I have forgotten how I start a soundserver.
>
> ESound Daemon:
> Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/esd)
> Running - No

i am not a sound guru, suggest you take little or no action based on
what i’m gonna write…instead read my sig caveat and think/wait:

you can learn what the command’s format and command line switches are
available by using this command:


esd --help

that is usual for all (with exceptions i guess) Linux commands

so, it might be the answer to your question is as easy as the first
below. or maybe it will require the second. or maybe you need to
specify the device, as in the third


esd
/usr/bin/esd
/usr/bin/esd -d [device name]

and, of course you know (i think) that the below commands will
usually shed more light on the subject:


man esd
info esd

(press q to quit)
it was in the first of those that i just learned (or relearned) the
name of the device might be in the form of /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp2, etc.

and if you have not yet discovered it: try looking at the man using
Konqueror. just open Konqueror, clear the URL block and type and
enter #esd

and you will instantly have a great view of the man as well as easy
search (with Ctrl+F) and all of the “SEE ALSO” at the bottom of the
man as clickable links…

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

anyway, i think the real question is: if it is needed, why is it not
already running? (that is, did you shut it down? or, did it error and
close? [do the logs say why?] should it start during boot but does
not? [why?] etc etc etc)


dd
http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat

On 10/06/13 10:42, dd wrote:
> On 06/10/2013 08:47 AM, Erik Jakobsen wrote:
>> I have forgotten how I start a soundserver.
>>
>> ESound Daemon:
>> Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/esd)
>> Running - No
>
> i am not a sound guru, suggest you take little or no action based on
> what i’m gonna write…instead read my sig caveat and think/wait:
>
> you can learn what the command’s format and command line switches are
> available by using this command:
>


> esd --help
> 

that is usual for all (with exceptions i guess) Linux commands

so, it might be the answer to your question is as easy as the first
below. or maybe it will require the second. or maybe you need to
specify the device, as in the third


> esd
> /usr/bin/esd
> /usr/bin/esd -d [device name]
> 

and, of course you know (i think) that the below commands will usually
shed more light on the subject:


> man esd
> info esd
> 

(press q to quit)
it was in the first of those that i just learned (or relearned) the name
of the device might be in the form of /dev/dsp, /dev/dsp2, etc.

and if you have not yet discovered it: try looking at the man using
Konqueror. just open Konqueror, clear the URL block and type and enter #esd

and you will instantly have a great view of the man as well as easy
search (with Ctrl+F) and all of the “SEE ALSO” at the bottom of the man
as clickable links…

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

anyway, i think the real question is: if it is needed, why is it not
already running? (that is, did you shut it down? or, did it error and
close? [do the logs say why?] should it start during boot but does not?
[why?] etc etc etc)

Thank you Mate.

I will see what you have written.

The

esd help


> !!Sound Servers on this system
> !!----------------------------
>
> Pulseaudio:
>       Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/pulseaudio)
>       Running - Yes
>
> ESound Daemon:
>       Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/esd)
>       Running - No


Since asking, I have seen in Yast, that if the soundcard is running
local, the daemon should not be started.

But I don’t see the soundcard where it should be.

It is setup with Yast, and Pavucontrol.

Ha en god dag


Erik Jakobsen
Opensuse 12.3 64bit
Linux linux-z96b.site 3.7.10-1.4-desktop
KDE Version 4.10.2 “release 1”

On 06/10/2013 10:55 AM, Erik Jakobsen wrote:
> But I don’t see the soundcard where it should be.

ah…maybe this is another one of those things where hardware is
‘named’ in the order it is found during boot…which causes all sorts
of problems if (for example) you have two hard drives where sda is a
Seagate has the boot info and sdb a Toshiba has the operating
system…and, if on some day the Toshiba comes up first and grabs
the name sda . . .

so, knowing you have TWO sound cards i wonder if that could be a
problem where /dev/dsp0 and /dev/dsp1 are changing places…

i do NOT have a clue if that is possible, or how to stop it–or maybe
typing this was a waste of my time, and yours…a guru can tell you,
probably.

i lide måde


dd

On 10/06/13 11:14, dd wrote:
> On 06/10/2013 10:55 AM, Erik Jakobsen wrote:
>> But I don’t see the soundcard where it should be.
>
> ah…maybe this is another one of those things where hardware is ‘named’
> in the order it is found during boot…which causes all sorts of
> problems if (for example) you have two hard drives where sda is a
> Seagate has the boot info and sdb a Toshiba has the operating
> system…and, if on some day the Toshiba comes up first and grabs the
> name sda . . .
>
> so, knowing you have TWO sound cards i wonder if that could be a problem
> where /dev/dsp0 and /dev/dsp1 are changing places…
>
> i do NOT have a clue if that is possible, or how to stop it–or maybe
> typing this was a waste of my time, and yours…a guru can tell you,
> probably.
>
> i lide måde
>
Maybe you are right. I had another soundcard installed, and it was
“visible”. But it dissappeared from time to time, and fast too. Got this
new soundcard installed today.

Maybe it is a mattetr of having two soundcards, that generelly is
puzzling me. I don’t know it.

Waste of my time ?. Absolutely not

Tak


Erik Jakobsen
Opensuse 12.3 64bit
Linux linux-z96b.site 3.7.10-1.11-desktop
KDE Version 4.10.2 “release 1”