Standby and Hibernate problems

Hi
Not sure if this the right forum ? Anyhow, after more than 9 months of trouble free use of standby and hibernation, my HP laptop using Opensuse 11.1 has suddenly stopped doing this. Most of the time, the system closes the GUI and goes to a text screen and then the GUI starts right up again. There are no obvious error messages - it just doesn’t work anymore.

I restored my system from a January 2010 backup. All was fine for a week and then it all started again. Just wondering if it could be an update causing the problem. I’ve also read comments regarding the size of the hibernation file - but doesn’t this auto extend as required ?
Any help gratefully received

Thanks

David

I am not an expert on Hibernate, but it really does work properly in openSUSE 11.2. However, Video drivers, some binary loaded files and surely an update could kill your system from being able to shutdown. I can say that on one of my computers, Hibernate works fine and I have the very latest openSUSE and KDE 4 files loaded. On another machine a driver used for a UPS, keeps it from shutting down. In your case, I wonder if a HP specific update might be the culprit as it sounds like you were doing fine until some update came down the pike. I might suggest either doing some manual downgrades, which is hard to do, or reload again, but put very few update sources into openSUSE, maybe staying with just the original four. Or you might add more, just only one at a time so you might determine what the problem might be.

Thank You,

billingd wrote:
> I restored my system from a January 2010 backup. All was fine for a
> week and then it all started again. Just wondering if it could be an
> update causing the problem.

you could try: again restore from the Jan 2010 backup and once done
turn off the YaST Online Updater (YOU) and do not manually update via
YaST…if it continues working (forever?) then you know it was an
update killing it…

i’d guess when YOU installed the new kernel (or two/three? released
since January) something changed which probably needs a bug logged on
it…but, i’d have no idea how to figure out what was broken…you
might have a look though bugzilla
<http://en.opensuse.org/Submitting_Bug_Reports#Searching_for_bugs> to
see if someone else had the same problem…then when that bug is
cleared you might be able to allow YOU to work again…

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

Guys I also have the same problem…

I did a manual software update [also choose to update the kernel too] a few weeks back and now my 11.1 system suspends 4/10 times (successfully).

Weird thing is if i hit FN-F3, sometimes it works fine and sometimes it doesn’t.

When FN-F3 does not work, i have to manually goto Shutdown, and choose Suspend - which also works sometimes. When both options are not working, i have to hibernate my system, as opposed to Suspend :frowning: Confused yet?

This is defo a bug with a recent update i applied. Not sure if its HP specific tho… cause i don’t remember choosing a HP update to come down. Oh BTW, i too have a HP laptop :stuck_out_tongue:

I shall also try to submit a bug report, but not sure what to submit…???

Updating to 11.2 is not really an option, as i’m still kinda testing it.

Thanks fellas

Hi all - good news, Opensuse 11.1 - fully patched/updated via software update - above issue for me was resolved by updating all un-conditionally to Packman. Blue/Red packages were updated to Packman from OSS etc… and now my trouble with Suspend is no more :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Its working properly…!

Not sure what the culprit was, but doing above fixed my problem. The update did take a while, as it was pulling over 500Mb worth of updates/changes.

Let us know if anyone wants us to pull a few details off my machine for reference, cheers - vj

Sorry chaps - i spoke too soon. My laptop did seem to suspend by pressing Fn F3 for about 7-8 days, then yesterday i made a change via Yast/Software Management and i have broken suspend again. All i did was remove pulse and a few dependents.:\

Or maybe it was not fixed in the first place>:( and just worked for a good few days.

I have been testing 11.2, so will prolly be migrating to that in a few weeks…

Pathetic attempt by yours truly, once again :shame:

vmohan wrote:

> All i did was remove pulse and a few dependents.:\

i wonder what you hoped to gain by that remove to “fix” scheme?

more importantly i wonder if you ever read that old:
If it works, don’t fix it!

(but if you MUST, then plan a foolproof way to get back to “it
works”…note: foolproof way = restore from backup)

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

Hi DenverD - Sorry to sound silly. i had installed Pulse for a game i was playing - for sound to work, Pulse had to be installed. I removed Pulse, as it was not needed anymore, plus it was conflicting with Audacity. Audacity would hang when trying to switch my recording settings from pulse to ALSA/OSS. Audacity worked fine, prior to Pulse and required dependencies were installed.

The adage “if it works, don’t fix it” makes perfect sense. I follow that, however i did not intentionally remove pulse to break my system(?). I removed pulse, as I did not need it anymore, and wanted Audacity to work as it used too.

I guess I was not clear, as always - lol, it does take me a few goes to get it right.

vj

On 2010-06-16 07:56 GMT vmohan wrote:

>
> Sorry chaps - i spoke too soon. My laptop did seem to suspend by
> pressing Fn F3 for about 7-8 days, then yesterday i made a change via
> Yast/Software Management and i have broken suspend again. All i did
> was remove pulse and a few dependents.:\

If you are still having problems I can try to help. Say so and I’ll
write a few things to try or look at.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Minas Tirith))