Splah Screen not installing KDE

Hi guys, I’m willing help on my problem which is that I cannot login into my KDE : splash screen appears and then fails to continue in the middle of process so my desktop is not opening. I’ve tried failsafe, rescue modes but could not solve. when i add ‘nomodeset’ to the end of line at grub screen, I later see an empty black screen with cursor movable (which might be the actual meaning of nomode set, though:) How can i fix this any idea ? Thanks. btw, my system is openSUSE 11.4.

Hi guys, I’m willing help on my problem which is that I cannot login into my KDE : splash screen appears and then fails to continue in the middle of process so my desktop is not opening. I’ve tried failsafe, rescue modes but could not solve. when i add ‘nomodeset’ to the end of line at grub screen, I later see an empty black screen with cursor movable (which might be the actual meaning of nomode set, though:) How can i fix this any idea ? Thanks. btw, my system is openSUSE 11.4.

Is this a new installation of openSUSE or did it work OK at one time? Is this a 64 or 32 bit system installation? It sounds like you are trying to use KDE. How did you install the system, from the DVD or a live KDE CD? What can you tell us about your computer and video hardware? Have you been successful before in installing and running any other version of Linux and if so, give some more details on that.

Thank You,

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 01:16:03 +0000, berkantk wrote:

> Hi guys, I’m willing help on my problem which is that I cannot login
> into my KDE : splash screen appears and then fails to continue in the
> middle of process so my desktop is not opening. I’ve tried failsafe,
> rescue modes but could not solve. when i add ‘nomodeset’ to the end of
> line at grub screen, I later see an empty black screen with cursor
> movable (which might be the actual meaning of nomode set, though:) How
> can i fix this any idea ? Thanks. btw, my system is openSUSE 11.4.

What hardware is in the system? Video, how much memory, how much disk
space, type of CPU - all could be important in diagnosing this issue.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Yeah i should have said more, sorry :smiley: It was a Network Installation, I successfully installed and used about 2 weeks without having any problem, so i think it s nto about the hardware. Last thing i did was to change the workspace appearance to gtk+ style, but it then froze so i had to restart the computer, then my error occurred…it s 32 bits, btw.

If this is a fresh install or you did update KDE recently, boot in “failsafe mode” in grub. Then it should go through to the desktop. There go to the regulations of the desktop, un select all “desktop effects” of any kind. Safe and reboot. It should work now. If this is the case and you have a Nvidia 7600 or 7200 Graphics card - these cards do not work with the desktop effects of KDE.

The problem is I cannot reach the desktop, instead, it lets me see a black screen :\ It’s same with failsafe mode too. I tried adding splash=verbose/0/no but none of them worked as well. If there is a way to login console at Grub screen by adding some code to the end of line (such as splash=verbose) , I think setting default KDE settings might solve the problem…

Yes there is. I am assuming you did not activate auto-login. So you can click one one of the symbols at login below or beside, I do not have it in front of me (called session type) and chose “access to console”. Then you might login as command line without any KDE involved. From here you login as yourself (not as root) and you have access to your directory. You look for ./KDE4. There are various ways to reset, the best IMHO is to rename the ./KDE4 to /badKDE4 and to logout and wait a few secs. KDM will come up again. You log in and see.
A remark. Before searching further you could do all of us a big big favor. You post:
Which Kernel you are using (32 bit or 64).
Which (and this is important) video driver and Graphics card you are using.
Which exact version of KDE you are using (the default for 11.4?).
This will help a lot in telling you where the problem might be.
Do you know how to rename a directory from the command line?

Who else has this problem here ??? Cuz I’ve solved it lol!Thank you all. Here’s what I did : When i reached the black screen, that computer thinks it is the KDE, I pressed Ctrl + Alt + F1 , it took me to the terminale and I then wrote there following commands :

/bin/rm -r .kde4
rm -rf /tmp/kde-my_user_name /tmp/socket-my_user_name

Then restarted and I reached the new KDE defaulted :slight_smile: thank you again.

One remark only (happy you have solved). For future posts, please try to declare as much as you can about your system. It really spares time and gives you more feedback. When you have (like here) a solution in code, please, please, put it in “code tags” through the advanced function so the readability is much higher. Looks like this:

/bin/rm -r .kde4
rm -rf /tmp/kde-my_user_name /tmp/socket-my_user_name

As you see this is much more readable (especially if you have output like “zypper repos” and similar, the formatting is spared).
Have fun.

PS: For who reads this solution: the choice to erase ./KDE4 may erase valuable data. So maybe renaming it instead is a more prudent solution on an older and well setup system. So one does not loose settings and data.

@stakanov,

ur absolutely right, sorry im newbie to the forums. I’ll do what you have suggested to me. Thanks.

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 08:56:02 +0000, berkantk wrote:

> It was a Network Installation, I successfully installed and used about 2
> weeks without having any problem, so i think it s nto about the
> hardware. Last thing i did was to change the workspace appearance to
> gtk+ style, but it then froze so i had to restart the computer, then my
> error occurred…it s 32 bits, btw.

It still would help to know what hardware you’re running on. Don’t leave
us guessing, when we ask for information about the system, it’s because
we feel it’s necessary information to help you resolve your problem.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C