SPEAKERS BUG in Lenovo Thinkpad 13 EDGE

Hi everybody! Recently I got a lenovo laptop and installed opensuse 11.3 from live usb distribution, well the issue is when I want to listen to some music and plug in my headphones, the laptop speakers do not turn off automatically, I know that this bug has been discussed somewhere around in the forums, but it seems to me that it’s a laptop model dependent, so I decided not to fix anything around, but to ask for some help. Any suggestions on how it could be fixed so I can listen to some nice music without disturbing anybody around? Thank you.

What makes you think it’s a bug? It may be a feature to allow independent control with two different outputs. I had a new (8 months ago) ThinkPad SL510 with the same behaviour on 11.2 and now on 11.3, so I use three speaker control buttons beside the keyboard – volume up, down, and mute. They don’t affect the headphones, and there is a different function for the headphones volume. I guess Lenovo intended it that way, but IIRC W7 does turn off speaker when headphones plug in. Does that make it a bug?

I see now, it makes sense to use hotkey to downvolume the speakers, I just thought that this is not a normal behavior by default, moreover, exactly the same thing happened with other laptops in Ubuntu, and this was marked as a bug in other forums, thats why I decided to post it here.

No worries. I’m not that sure about it either, as it has been queried before in the forums here. Anyway, it’s useful to know that the behaviour is not unique to openSUSE. :slight_smile:

this is definitely a bug, cause downvolume the sound doesn’t help, cause it influences the headphones too. How can I fix it?

Hi everybody! Recently I got a lenovo laptop and installed opensuse 11.3 from live usb distribution, well the issue is when I want to listen to some music and plug in my headphones, the laptop speakers do not turn off automatically, I know that this bug has been discussed somewhere around in the forums, but it seems to me that it’s a laptop model dependent, so I decided not to fix anything around, but to ask for some help. Any suggestions on how it could be fixed?

Same problem with hp pavilion…I mute speakers from kmix mixer and the problem is gone…

I assume you have checked the KDE or Gnome mixer applet (you didn’t mention which DE) to see if you can control mute from there. My headphones and speaker work independently, up/down/mute using lenovo’s functions. If you don’t have a mute button/key/switch that just mutes the laptop speakers, then you could try submitting a bug report. See here:

openSUSE:Submitting bug reports

no I do have it(Lenovo Thinkpad EDGE), but when I mute it, it mutes all sound, well now my headphones stopped working at all))) I tried to do something with kmixer, changing channels and stuff, but nothing seems to work, now my speakers work only, I’m puzzled. I found a topic on that issue, Sound out of BOTH headphone jack and built-in speakers on HP Pavilion dv6700 - Ubuntu Forums gonna try if it works, anyway thanks for your reply

how can I mute it? I open kmixer and get only three options “master” channel “PCM” and “beep” muting either doesn’t help.

That ubuntu link you provided is so old - five ubuntu releases since and similar for ALSA. Even kmix has significantly changed since then, and KDE has been completely rewritten from 3.5.x to 4.4.4.

BTW in Kmix, I get a separate Headphone channel.

You should realize that double posting about the same problem, even with a different title, is not allowed in these forums. The other one was only yesterday here!

Please letian,

Like consuse says, double posting will create a mess of questions and answers which will serve nobody in the end.
I will this merge this thread with the other one at SPEAKERS BUG in Lenovo Thinkpad 13 EDGE.

Ah, sorry, I messed up.
Well so far, I have no any clue, how to fix it, maybe I should report a bug

There is guidance for reporting bug reports here: openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE

Write the bug report against openSUSE-11.3 ( ? ) component “sound”. To support the bug report, also run the script with this command:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload

which will create the file /tmp/alsa-info.txt.

Add that file as an attachment to the bug report.

My experience is the SuSE-GmbH packager for sound (who is also an alsa driver developer) is very good at quickly fixing bug reports, and if you actively support the bug report you raise, you could get a fix fairly quickly.

submitted this bug today, hope it will be fixed soon

That’s good. It would be useful for other users with a similar problem if you could post a link here to your bug report (when you have it). :slight_smile:

this is my bug report
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=640338

actually the problem was fixed, I was adviced to add this line to /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file:

options snd-hda-intel model=ideapad

then just restart “rcalsasound restart” and hoooray!

and it worked so now I can plug in my headphones and speakers do turn off. thanks!

Excellent. Your reward for perseverance. :smiley: Thanks for the feedback.

My ThinkPad model apparently has a BIOS of an ideapad. However on comparing your /tmp/alsa-info.txt with mine, they couldn’t be more different.