space navigator openSUSE 11.2

Hi
as a newbie the answer to my question may simply be to look in the right place.

My problem is I have a three day old setup and with a little help from some kind contributors all is going very well.

In testing that all my bits of hardware work I have come to my 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator. The hardware is virtually new and works absolutely fine in XP (that is what I am trying to escape from).

When the spacenavigator is plugged in it works absolutely fine so long as I move the thing with a soft feather. It is so sensitive that it is un-useable.

My problem is that although the system has recognised it and has it in the hardware scan in YaST but nowhere can I find any way to change the sensitvity settings and button functions.

thanks in advance
Ralph

Please forgive me rft-hillview, but is a “3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator” a mouse? If so, next question is what desktop are you using? If it is KDE, there is a menu program called Personnel Settings (Configure Desktop). I would run this program and in the general tab there is an option called Mouse & Keyboard. Pick this option and then the mouse on the left. Next, pick the Advanced tab were there are mouse speed settings you can adjust.

Thank You,

Hi
the SpaceNavigator is a 3D motion controller which in 3D cad/cam applications gives multi axis movement control.
Also usefull in applications like Google Earth and some use it for gaming.
It is a usb device and is more akin to a joystick than a mouse but it is not connected via a games port.

It appears like this in a YaST hardware scan:

2: udi = ‘/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_46d_c626_noserial_if0_logicaldev_input’
linux.hotplug_type = 2 (0x2)
linux.subsystem = ‘input’
input.device = ‘/dev/input/event8’
input.product = ‘3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator’
input.x11_driver = ‘evdev’
input.originating_device = ‘/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_46d_c626_noserial_if0’
info.subsystem = ‘input’
info.product = ‘3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator’
linux.sysfs_path = ‘/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/input/input8/event8’
info.parent = ‘/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_46d_c626_noserial_if0’
info.category = ‘input’
info.capabilities = { ‘input’, ‘input.mouse’ }
info.udi = ‘/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_46d_c626_noserial_if0_logicaldev_input’
linux.device_file = ‘/dev/input/event8’

thanks for your interest
Ralph

So rft-hillview, did you attempt to make the mouse adjustments as suggested to see if this would make any difference?

Please forgive me rft-hillview, but is a “3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator” a mouse? If so, next question is what desktop are you using? If it is KDE, there is a menu program called Personnel Settings (Configure Desktop). I would run this program and in the general tab there is an option called Mouse & Keyboard. Pick this option and then the mouse on the left. Next, pick the Advanced tab were there are mouse speed settings you can adjust.
Thank You,

Hi
Yes I did indeed try and yes it does make a marginal difference to the behavoir of the spacenavigator. However it also has a much greater effect on the other usb wheel mouse which is also plugged in.

In 3D applications the normal mouse and the space navigator are used together - one in each hand , the spacenavigator controlling the model orientation and attitude and the mouse picking the geometric points, lines, planes, surfaces etc. used in design.

Also most people would ‘program’ the meaning of the two spacenavigator buttons to suit the specific application in use.

What I now realise is that opensuse does not contain a specific 3D device driver and on further web searching it appears that one is provided by 3dconnexion themselves that is clearly not integrated into opensuse.

Purely for information this link:
Linux.com :: SpaceNavigator: An affordable 3-D controller for Linux
is to an article about the device.

thanks for your interest
Ralph

rft-hillview good luck in what ever you decide to do. If we and the openSUSE community can help you in any other way, do not hesitate to come back and ask for more help.

Thank You,