Sound works on gnome but not on kde

Hello,

I installed opensuse 11.1 a couple of times now. I couldn’t get my sound to work under kde and somehow I messed things up so that I couldn’t open my personal folder.

The last time I installed opensuse with gnome, I changed the model of my soundcard to dell-m6 and my sound worked.

The problem is, gnome is driving me crazy. Sometimes it works perfect and other times it hangs, forcing me to go to text mode and reboot. I can’t seem to reproduce the error because it can hang on any program I start and sometimes it doesn’t even get past slab.

I really want to use kde 4.1 again as I use it on my desktop at work and I really love it. The only problem is that phonon tells me that my soundcard (ICH9, Intel 82801I) isn’t working and tries to use my other soundcard (atiradeon hd). But under gnome, there’s nothing wrong with the driver and I get perfect sound on both my headset as on my speakers.

My laptop is a dell studio 1737.

I found the solution to make my soundcard work under gnome (change the model to dell-m6) here it the forums, but I couldn’t find any solution to the phonon problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

It should work under KDE4.

I have a Dell Studio 1537 (15" instead of a 17" dell) and its audio “just works” with openSUSE-11.1 on KDE-3.5.10 and also on KDE-4.1.3. I do not have to specify dell-m6 in the /etc/modprobe.d/sound file, as the auto probe of alsa does the job nicely, after an alsa developer updated the openSUSE alsa just in time for 11.1 GM (but its a different story for 11.1 beta5 and RC1 where one needs to download a more current alsa).

One question thou, … are you using separate user accounts when switching from gnome to kde, or the same user account?

When in KDE4, I recommend you use this as a sound test (in a konsole):
speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twav

When in KDE4, can you provide some more info ? To provide more information, with your PC connected to the internet copy and paste the following into a gnome-terminal or konsole:/usr/sbin/alsa-info.shWhen the script completes it will pass you a URL. Please post that URL here.

Also, please copy and paste the following one line at a time into a gnome-terminal or konsole and post the output here.rpm -qa | grep alsa
rpm -qa | grep pulse
rpm -q libasound2
uname -a
cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

First of all, thanks for the fast reply.

Can’t do the speaker-test under KDE because I didn’t install it the last time.

ALSA link: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=7924cc5abb8e649c38c5158e85b27eebccc155ad

rpm -qa | grep alsa

alsa-1.0.18-8.9
alsa-plugins-1.0.18-6.13
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.18-6.13
alsa-oss-1.0.17-1.43
alsa-utils-1.0.18-6.4
alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.17-1.37

rpm -qa | grep pulse

libpulse0-0.9.12-9.5
libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.12-9.5
pulseaudio-esound-compat-0.9.12-9.5
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.18-6.13
pulseaudio-utils-0.9.12-9.5
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-0.9.12-9.5
libpulse-browse0-0.9.12-9.5
pulseaudio-module-gconf-0.9.12-9.5
libxine1-pulse-1.1.15-44.pm.2
pulseaudio-module-lirc-0.9.12-9.5
pulseaudio-0.9.12-9.5
pulseaudio-module-x11-0.9.12-9.5
libpulse0-32bit-0.9.12-9.6
libpulsecore4-0.9.12-9.5
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-0.9.12-9.5

rpm -q libasound2

libasound2-1.0.18-8.9
linux-il90:/home/laurent # uname -a
Linux linux-il90 2.6.27.7-9-default #1 SMP 2008-12-04 18:10:04 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6,
options snd slots=snd-hda-intel,snd-hda-intel
# u1Nb.DHYBSDpOxeA:82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
# NXNs.1ziNQm07nt7:RV635 Audio device [Radeon HD 3600 Series]
alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel

I also forgot to mention something that happened in KDE wich I thought was pretty weird. When I logged in, Phonon would tell me that my soundcard didn’t work and it was switching back to default. I wouldn’t get any sound except if I tried to edit my system sounds. These wouldn’t work outside the setup screen. The really weird thing was, that I would get sound when I logged out. Didn’t matter if I would shutdown, restart, logout or switch user.

I believe, what you could do, if your / is large enough, is install both gnome and KDE at the same time.

Then create a new user specifically for KDE, while retaining the original different user for Gnome. That way you have a KDE install that you can test, while still using Gnome.

I’ve never done that (create separate logins) with Gnome/KDE, but I am currently doing that with KDE3 and KDE4 on the 3 PC’s in our flat that currently have openSUSE-11.1 installed.

Although having typed that, … I am wondering if the configuration of many Pulse Audio applications (that are required by Gnome) would affect KDE4 ? *

Thanks. This all looks nominal, which is to be expected given your sound works. It does establish a useful baseline, that can be used later to compare against your KDE, if you install it again.

This is a known bug. I also see this on my Dell Studio 1537 , but it does not affect the sound functionality.

That is weird, and it suggests to me that your sound did work under KDE4. Are you certain the “sound problem” in KDE4 was not a simple combination of system sounds not fully functioning, and not having the necessary 3rd part codecs for various apps? The test I use to check sound functionality is to send the following from a kde konsole (it also works from a gnome-terminal)
speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twavI will then hear a ladies voice saying ‘front left’, ‘front right’ 5 times.

I find KDE3/KDE4 do not function well with gstreamer sound engine (in various applications), and one typically has to use the xine sound engine to get reliable sound in multimedia applications.

At the risk of telling you something you already know, the very first thing I do with a new openSUSE install, AFTER obtaining Internet access, is to set up my Software Package Manager’s Repositories with OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman (just those 4, no others) [there is guidance here for that: Repositories/11.1 - openSUSE-Community ] and then I install smplayer, mplayerplug-in, libxine1, amarok, vlc, libffmpeg, and w32codec-all, with all of those coming from Packman. Many users mistakenly setup both videolan and packman repositories, and then find their sound does not work in multimedia apps (which is because many of the codecs on those two repositories are not installed in a location compatible with each other’s applications).

On my Dell Studio 15 the KDE-4.1.3 login system sound does not work all the time. The log out works all the time. I occasionally get the error message you note. And my multimedia applications/players work superbly with sound under both KDE3 and KDE4.*

Many users mistakenly setup both videolan and packman repositories, and then find their sound does not work in multimedia apps (which is because many of the codecs on those two repositories are not installed in a location compatible with each other’s applications).

This could explain alot. I both select the pacman and videolan repositories after I install suse. This works on my desktop machine with 11.0 but I’ll try it when I get back home.

I’ll install KDE 4 now (have the disk with me) and see what it does. Going to do a clean install anyway when I get back home. Sorry to say, but I’m really starting to dislike Gnome. I’m replying to your message on my windows boot … and I really hate windows.

I’ll let you know how things work out with KDE 4 installed and thanks again for the fast reply :slight_smile:

Ok. Installed KDE 4 and sounds works now.
Now for a clean install and hope it keeps on working :p.

Thanks for the help and I’ll let you know if it’s still working after the clean install

Good luck. Don’t forget to use the speaker-test (as a confidence check that sound still works) when strange behaviour results.

Re-installed everything from the ground up, followed oldcpu’s instructions (the hint with just installing everything from packman repo) and I had sound. Still had to change my soundcard model to dell-m6 tho, wouldn’t get any sound without that option.

Thanks for the help oldcpu, just need to get my touchpad working correctly now and I’m set :slight_smile:

OK, great ! Congratulations on getting the sound to work.

If you plug a headset into the side headphone jack, is your sound muted? [That was a last minute bug before the 11.1 release that an alsa dev fixed]

headset is working perfectly too.

Super. In case you are curious, this was the bug report (now resolved) that managed to get the sound chipset (that our two laptops share) functional: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=446025