Sound stopped working

Experiencing the same issues as the original poster I definitely would try to switch servers until the issue gets fixed.

Note: “In April 2021, Fedora became the first Linux distribution to ship PipeWire for audio by default through its release 34.”

Well, yes that is an option, if it is indeed pipewire that is the issue here. I’m interested in Lee’s (oldcpu’s) comments re the multiple sound devices present, and whether the appropriate sound card profile just needs to be set.

Note: “In April 2021, Fedora became the first Linux distribution to ship PipeWire for audio by default through its release 34.”

Yep, that is well known :wink:

…and I switched to using it on my openSUSE Leap 15.3 system a couple of months ago. It just works for me.

Different behavior here. Experienced some issues, found pipewire running, turned it off and pulseaudio was great again.

Yep, I get that. (That’s what bug reports are for). For most users though, pipewire just works (and brings some nice features).

I will stay with pulseaudio until it breaks. Then I will try pipewire, which will have matured in the meantime.:wink:

Fair enough. Each to their own. :wink:

I’ll drink to that;) Sorry out of topic. I switch back to pulseaudio after trying pipewire because I can’t find a simple way to output
the audio simultaneously to HDMI and analog. In pulseaudio it is only one click of a mouse. I am using tumbleweed.

Many updates have come and gone with no working sound. Is this a known problem or can I do something?

Have you tested your device at alsa level, to acertain if this is a kernel/alsa driver problem? or if it is a pulse or pipewire issue?

Previous I noted by default openSUSE sends audio to sound-card-0, and nothing I have read in this thread tells me you did anything to send sound to sound-card-1. My apologies if you stated that and I missed that.

Note your PC has sound devices that result in two instances of the snd_hda_intel kernel module (alsa driver) running, with one instance associated with each device. This means sound card-0 and sound card-1 can only occasion switch around, giving the appearance of broken sound, when in fact that is not the case.

I noted this from the diagnostic script (and I am assuming that has not changed since you posted it, and I could be wrong given you probably have done updates and maybe fiddled with your settings):

!!Aplay/Arecord output
!!--------------------

APLAY

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 11: HDMI 5 [HDMI 5]
**card 1**: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], **device 0:** ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD [b]Analog]
**card 1**: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], **device 1**: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD [b]Digital]

That tells me analog audio is hw:1,0, and digital audio is hw:1,1.

If we assume the devices card-0 and card-1 have not reversed, then sound is going by default to the HDMI and not to the analog audio.

If I assume you want sound in analog audio, then what tests/things have you done to have sound go to analog audio?

To test if the issue is at the alsa level, send this as a regular user (and also with sudo) in a konsole or xterm, to test analog audio (hw:1,0):

aplay -D hw:1,0 -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav

To test if the issue is at the alsa level, send this as a regular user (and also with sudo) in a konsole or xterm, to test digital audio (hw:1,1):

aplay -D hw:1,1 -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav

also, in the off chance you have the alsa output configured to go directly via pulse, instead of going direct to aplay, try this temporary pulse audio suspension:

Suspending pulse, to test if the issue is at the alsa level, send this as a regular user (and also with sudo) in a konsole or xterm, to test analog audio (hw:1,0):

pasuspender -- aplay -D hw:1,0 -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav

and
Suspending pulse, to test if the issue is at the alsa level, send this as a regular user (and also with sudo) in a konsole or xterm, to test digital audio (hw:1,1):

pasuspender -- aplay -D hw:1,1 -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav

If you are trying to get sound via HDMI, then those are the wrong commands.

Also, did you try plugging in a headset to see if audio works there?

I interpreted your discussion of 2 outputs to imply it could be going to the HDMI, which is not connected. I tried deleting the second entry with YAST. It didn’t fix anything.

aplay -D hw:1,0 -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav

works, both as user and as root.

aplay -D hw:1,1 -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav

does not work. i.e.; No sound is output

jc@bopper:~> pasuspender -- aplay -D hw:1,0 -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav
Failure to suspend: No such entity

No sound come out. The same result happened for hw:1,1.

**bopper:/home/jc #** pasuspender -- aplay -D hw:1,0 -vv /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav
Connection failure: Connection refused
pa_context_connect() failed: Invalid argument

This is as root. The same result happened for hw:1,1.

Sound comes out of the headphones when I do the aplay test. There is no sound output to headphones if I am playing sound from chromium or firefox. Of course these are the majority of my sound listening. VLC also doesn’t output sound.

What is your output:

[FONT=monospace]**erlangen:~ #** systemctl status --type device '*sound*'              
**●** sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:01.0-0000:01:00.1-sound-card1-controlC1.device - /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.1/sound/card1/controlC1 
     Loaded: loaded 
     Active: **active (plugged)** since Sat 2021-11-27 11:05:04 CET; 1 day 20h ago 
     Device: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.1/sound/card1/controlC1 

**●** sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:1f.3-sound-card0-controlC0.device - /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card0/controlC0 
     Active: **active (plugged)** since Sat 2021-11-27 11:05:04 CET; 1 day 20h ago 
     Device: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card0/controlC0 
**erlangen:~ #** journalctl -b -u '*sound*' 
-- Journal begins at Mon 2021-11-22 23:45:25 CET, ends at Mon 2021-11-29 07:09:46 CET. -- 
Nov 27 11:05:04 erlangen systemd[1]: Starting Load extra kernel modules for sound stuff... 
Nov 27 11:05:04 erlangen systemd[1]: sound-extra.service: Deactivated successfully. 
Nov 27 11:05:04 erlangen systemd[1]: Finished Load extra kernel modules for sound stuff. 
Nov 27 11:05:04 erlangen systemd[1]: Reached target Sound Card. 
**erlangen:~ #**[/FONT]

That tells us that sound works at the alsa sound driver level. This makes think the issue is with pulse audio, or with pipewire (or with a remote chance audio is being sent to wrong device and nothing has been done by you to configure your PC to send sound to the correct device).

“No such entity” ? This surprised me. It suggests for your Tumbleweed you don’t have some or all of pulseaudio not installed?

I note ‘pasuspender’ nominally comes with ‘pulseaudio-utils’ so either that app is not installed, or something else in pulse audio (not being fully installed) resulted in that error.

So if I understand, the aplay test with hw:1,0 gives speaker sound, and gives headphone sound (when not trying the pasuspender command) but does not yield sound for nominal multimedia applications.

Have you tried running application ‘pavucontrol’ (pulse audio volume control) and in that direct sound to your analog sound device for each multimedia application that you nominally use?

The changes made in Tumbleweed by the openSUSE community, in regards to pulse audio and pipewire, is beyond my experience and i apologize, but I don’t know enough to help there. … Possibly you could configure vlc to get sound direct from the alsa api, but that frankly speaking is a limited work around specific only to vlc and not what is needed.

Hopefully someone who knows something about pulseaudio and pipewire can come up with advice that actually works.

Failing that, I might be able to come up with a edit to 50-sound.conf to reverse your sound cards (make HDMI sound card-1 and analog sound card-0) at the alsa level but that simply reads to be a kludge of an approach, and only something to try if all else fails. And it won’t sort the issue if the problem is at the pulseaudio or pipewire level.

jc@bopper:~> whoami
jc
jc@bopper:~> systemctl status --type device '*sound*'  
**●** sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:03.1-0000:06:00.1-sound-card0-controlC0.device - /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0>
     Active: **active (plugged)** since Sun 2021-11-28 18:48:24 EST; 20h ago
     Device: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.1/0000:06:00.1/sound/card0/controlC0

**●** sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:08.1-0000:08:00.3-sound-card1-controlC1.device - /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0>
     Active: **active (plugged)** since Sun 2021-11-28 18:48:24 EST; 20h ago
     Device: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:08:00.3/sound/card1/controlC1
jc@bopper:~> 

**bopper:/home/jc #** journalctl -b -u '*sound*'
-- Journal begins at Thu 2021-07-15 13:57:48 EDT, ends at Mon 2021-11-29 15:40:45 EST. --
Nov 28 23:08:53 bopper systemd[1]: Starting Load extra kernel modules for sound stuff...
Nov 28 23:08:53 bopper systemd[1]: sound-extra.service: Deactivated successfully.
Nov 28 23:08:53 bopper systemd[1]: Finished Load extra kernel modules for sound stuff.
Nov 28 23:08:53 bopper systemd[1]: Reached target Sound Card.
Nov 28 18:48:14 bopper systemd[1]: Stopped target Sound Card.
Nov 28 18:48:14 bopper systemd[1]: Starting Load extra kernel modules for sound stuff...
Nov 28 18:48:14 bopper systemd[1]: sound-extra.service: Deactivated successfully.
Nov 28 18:48:14 bopper systemd[1]: Finished Load extra kernel modules for sound stuff.
Nov 28 18:48:14 bopper systemd[1]: Reached target Sound Card.
Nov 28 18:48:23 bopper systemd[1]: Stopped target Sound Card.
Nov 28 18:48:24 bopper systemd[1]: Starting Load extra kernel modules for sound stuff...
Nov 28 18:48:24 bopper systemd[1]: sound-extra.service: Deactivated successfully.
Nov 28 18:48:24 bopper systemd[1]: Finished Load extra kernel modules for sound stuff.
Nov 28 18:48:24 bopper systemd[1]: Reached target Sound Card.
**bopper:/home/jc #** 

I tried re/installing pulseaudio-utils with no change in behavior.

Mask the other device. Does the HDMI device work now?

aplay stopped working on the first device. So no sound worked with aplay.

I think the HDMI is a red herring. There is no speaker associated with an HDMI on this system, AFAIK.

Should I try to downgrade to pipewire-1.2.4?

**bopper:/home/jc #** rpm -qi alsa-ucm-conf
Name        : alsa-ucm-conf
Version     : 1.2.5.1
Release     : 1.2
Architecture: noarch
Install Date: Wed Sep 22 20:50:31 2021
Group       : Unspecified
Size        : 184186
License     : BSD-3-Clause
Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Sat Sep 18 07:23:11 2021, Key ID b88b2fd43dbdc284
Source RPM  : alsa-ucm-conf-1.2.5.1-1.2.src.rpm
Build Date  : Sat Sep 18 07:23:05 2021
Build Host  : goat05
Packager    : https://bugs.opensuse.org
Vendor      : openSUSE
URL         : https://www.alsa-project.org
Summary     : ALSA UCM Profiles
Description :
This package contains the profiles files for ALSA UCM (Use Case Manager).
Distribution: openSUSE Tumbleweed
**bopper:/home/jc #** 

The aplay command should be able to produce audible sound assuming no hardware/driver/firmware issues. Not sure why this has been hit and miss, but that may be where the crux of the problem lies.

It would be good to compare aplay devices and available sinks via pactl (assuming that you have either pulseaudio or pipewire-pulseaudio in use).

aplay -l
pactl list sinks short
pactl info

Recall what I noted before … Note your PC has sound devices that result in two instances of the snd_hda_intel kernel module (alsa driver) running, with one instance associated with each device. This means sound card-0 and sound card-1 can on occasion switch around, giving the appearance of broken sound, when in fact that is not the case, but one needs to adjust for the switched sound card.

If I were doing it, I would set the default to output to both cards and let me figure it out. Can you suggest how to move it back to the sound card with speakers?

Typically, with pulse audio, the easy way is to install the application ‘pavucontrol’ (pulse audio volume control) and use it to select the correct sound card/device. I don’t know if that approach is still viable with Tumbleweed given it is a mix of pulse audio and pipewire.

In the old days, prior to there being pulse audio, and edit to the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file, specifically assigning the appropriate audio hardware to sound card-0 would also do the trick (with this method being an implementation at the fairly basic alsa sound level). That is more complex to setup, and so the ‘pavucontrol’ approach is a more appropriate way to attempt first.