Sound Problems with suse 11.0

Have recently installed suse 11.0 and there’s no longer sound from the speakers. However, had speaker sound in 10.0. Also, there’s only sound in my headphones with 11.0. Sound card is an AC97 AD1886 Intel 8x0. Have looked through the forums and tried all the suggestions with no luck. One other thing, I can’t mute the headphone channel. I’m sure this is just a configuration issue, but don’t know where to look anymore.

:frowning:

This is confusing. Are you saying you have sound in the headphone (that you can not mute) but no sound in the speakers?

Did you try working your way through the openSUSE audio troubleshooting guide? SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

Note, to test if your sound is working, I recommend you try copy and pasting the following into a gnome-terminal or a kde konsole:speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twavyou should hear a lady’s voice saying “front-left”, “front-right” five times. Note Linux is case sensitive.

If that does not work, try a shorter form version:speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twavIf you hear sound (ie if you hear the lady’s voice), then please post here, let us know this fact, and explain more as to what your sound problem might be.

Don’t forget to install alsa-firmware.

If that does not work, and if you do not hear the lady’s voice, then we need more information to help solve your problem. To provide more information, with your PC connected to the internet copy and paste the following into a gnome-terminal or konsole:

wget -O alsa-info.sh http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh 

When the script completes it will pass you a URL. Please post that URL here.

Also, please copy and paste the following into a gnome-terminal or konsole and post the output here.rpm -qa | grep alsa
rpm -qa | grep pulse
rpm -q libasound2
uname -a
cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

Once I have that information, I believe I may be able to provide helpful recommendation(s).

Yes. I have sound in the headphone jack and not in the front speakers. And yes, I can’t mute the headphone jack. There’s always sound in the headphones. Also, I have tried the troubleshootuing guide, and inured the alsa firmware is installed. I’ll get the data you requested.

Dale

OK. Heres the konsole data. For some reason, after running the script, it didnt give me a link for the output file. Any ideas?

alsa-utils-1.0.16-35.1
alsa-1.0.16-39.1
alsa-plugins-1.0.16-57.1
alsa-firmware-1.0.16-24.1
alsa-oss-1.0.15-48.1

libasound2-1.0.16-39.1

Linux linux-91ko 2.6.25.5-1.1-pae #1 SMP 2008-06-07 01:55:22 +0200 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

options snd-intel8x0 enable=1 index=0

W60f.Zmi7iE4Vbq5:82801CA/CAM AC’97 Audio Controller

alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0

Couldnt find out why there wasnt an http link, but here’s the debug output file uploaded to rapidshare.

http://rapidshare.com/files/168397691/alsa-info.txt.html

Dale

Thanks for the script. I paste bin’d it as I find that easier to access.
general pastebin - alsa-info.txt from user dalehuff - post number 1269867

You could try a couple of different settings on your mixer. Try enabling/disabling your digital audio. Also try turning your external amp control ON and OFF.

I searched the alsa web site for your AD1886 and did not see any updates. However I did note there are many updates to address the Intel 8x0 Search results for Intel 8x0 - AlsaProject

My advice is to update your alsa to 1.0.18 and then reboot. There is guidance here for updating: Alsa-update - openSUSE

Note you obtain the updates to the various alsa apps you saw listed (when you typed “rpm -qa | grep alsa” ) from one repos, and you need to obtain alsa-driver-kmp-your-kernel from the other repos. Be careful to install only the alsa-driver-kmp that matches your kernel. Do not install more than one alsa-driver… at a time. Reboot after the update.

Good luck.

It was interesting to see under the AC97 codec info that the capablities is only “headphone out”. Not sure if this means anything.