Sound Problem- OpenSUSE 11.2- ICH9 Sound Card

Hello everyone:

I downloaded and installed openSUSE on my system yesterday. Today, I noticed this problem. Whenever I startup and shutdown my computer, I hear the tones just fine. But doing anything else (watching YouTube, playing music, ect.) I don’t hear anything. Through some troubleshooting, I managed to somewhat fix the problem. I went to my YaST control panel>Hardware>Sound> My card. What I did to fix the problem was delete and re-install the sound card. I clicked on my soundcard, hit “delete”, then hit “add”. Then I selected the soundcard “ICH9”. I configured it, and i could now hear sound. But an annoying thing is that my sound adjuster disappeared. So I was not able to adjust the volume on my computer. Quite annoying. So I restarted it, and again, I could hear the startup sound, my sound icon was back, but NO SOUND! So I went through the same process of deleting and adding the soundcard back on.

I would like to have my sound icon on here when I configure the sound, and not have to go to the YaST control panel every time I want sound on my computer.

Thanks,

Thejode

You need to read the following forum message and see if any of the suggestions fit the problem you are having.

Welcome to multimedia sub-area - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

In addition to reading the link and sublinks provided by jdmcdaniel3, also take a look here:
Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums

Note also if this is a simple matter of the initialization sound (which you report works) locking your sound device, then rather than go to YaST you can simply type:

su -c 'rcalsasound restart'

enter root password when prompted, and also restart your mixer and test.