Sound not working on MB replacement

Have a Dell XPSM1330 with OpenSuse 64bit. Had a few video issues which were traced to a motherboard issue. It was replaced yesterday and now sound doesn’t work (might have been a software update behind the scenes), but on login, the splash sits on pulseaudio.

The odd thing was using Opera and on Pandora I had sound for a while, I did notice no login sound, skype sounds, etc. But then I started looking around. If I start pulseaudio from the command line I get the following; (first run as root)

W: main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
W: pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
E: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: Device or resource busy
E: module.c: Failed to load module “module-alsa-sink” (argument: “device_id=0 sink_name=alsa_output.pci_8086_284b_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0”): initialization failed.
ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0

then run as the user;
linux-u0nv:~> pulseaudio
W: core-util.c: setpriority(): Permission denied
E: pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.

I am a fedora guy newly converted, really liking the distro, just no clue where to start with this one.

tnx

I’ve been with openSUSE for a while, but I am a KDE-3.5.x user, and this new pulse audio (and kde4) that was introduced in a major way with openSUSE-11.0 really has me scratching and clawing to try and come up to speed.

Still, I will try help best I can. But I need to go back to basics to understand your setup, and I hope you don’t mind. The basis for what I will ask comes from here: SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

For a sound test, I recommend you copy and paste this into a gnome-terminal / konsole:
speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav

Could you provide info on your hardware/software sound configuration by copying and pasting the following into a gnome-terminal/konsole (with your PC connected to the internet). It will run a diagnostic script:

wget http://home.cfl.rr.com/infofiles/tsalsa && su -c 'bash ./tsalsa' 

when prompted for a password, enter your root password. Please try to accurately answer the question as to how many jacks/plugs you have (for example, I have 3 i/o jacks/plugs on my PC). That diagnostic script will give you a URL when it is done. Please post the URL that it provides here.

Also, please copy and paste the following one line at a time into a gnome-terminal / konsole and post the output here:
rpm -qa | grep alsa
rpm -qa | grep pulse
rpm -q libasound2
uname -a
cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

Hopefully with information from that, myself or someone else monitoring this thread might be able to provide a recommendation …

Timing was good as I am leaving for home soon, so I will read the URL post when I get home, but here is the info requested;

Speaker test results;
tsalsa.txt - nopaste.com (beta)

alsa-1.0.16-39.1
alsa-plugins-1.0.16-57.1
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.16-57.1
alsa-firmware-1.0.16-24.1
alsa-utils-1.0.16-35.1
alsa-oss-1.0.15-48.1
alsa-devel-1.0.16-39.1
alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.15-48.1

pulseaudio-utils-0.9.10-26.3
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.16-57.1
pulseaudio-esound-compat-0.9.10-26.3
libpulse0-0.9.10-26.3
pulseaudio-module-gconf-0.9.10-26.3
gstreamer-0_10-pulse-0.9.7-42.pm.1
libpulsecore4-0.9.10-26.3
pulseaudio-0.9.10-26.3
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-0.9.10-26.3
pulseaudio-module-x11-0.9.10-26.3
libpulse0-32bit-0.9.10-26.3
libpulse-browse0-0.9.10-26.3
libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.10-26.3
pulseaudio-module-lirc-0.9.10-26.3
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-0.9.10-26.3

libasound2-1.0.16-39.1
libasound2-32bit-1.0.16-39.1

Linux linux-u0nv 2.6.25.11-0.1-default #1 SMP 2008-07-13 20:48:28 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel

u1Nb.vD9VbU_X1r7:82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

Thanks again, will be check back in a bit to see what / if any replies.

OK, that shows me your Dell XPS M1330 is running a 64-bit openSUSE with the latest 2.6.25.11 kernel, with 1.0.16 of alsa and your new motherboard has a STAC9228 codec.

Searching the alsa web site, I note there was an update to 1.0.17 of alsa to address the STAC9228:
Search results for STAC9228 - AlsaProject
… but I am hoping that has nothing to do with your motherboard, so lets ignore that for now.

According to the ALSA-Configuration.txt file (that comes with the 1.0.16 alsa driver tarball) I note the following options for the STAC9228:

STAC9227/9228/9229/927x
	  ref		Reference board
	  3stack	D965 3stack
	  5stack	D965 5stack + SPDIF
	  dell-3stack	Dell Dimension E520 

So I recommend you try the “dell-3stack”, and if that fails, try the “3stack”. So to try the “dell-3stack”, I recommend you modify your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file to be the following:

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=dell-3stack
# u1Nb.vD9VbU_X1r7:82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel 

save that change and restart your alsa from a gnome-terminal / konsole with rcalsasound restart and test your audio with
speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav

If “dell-3stack” doesn’t work, then replace “dell-3stack” with “3stack” in the /etc/modprobe.d/sound file, restart alsa as before and test again.

I note you have your volume settings maxed out at 100%. If you get your sound back, you will need to back off to 66% or so, to minimize distortion.

Its also possible that this is a pulse audio app that is messing things up, in which case ensure your repositories are setup, and check for a pulse audio update. There are simple instructions here on how to setup your repos Repositories/11.0 - openSUSE-Community I recommend adding only OSS, NON-OSS, Update and Packman. Note more repositories is not always good. Extra repos can be easily added and removed on an as required basis.

3stack did the trick. After the dell one failed, I got a bit worried, but when I heard those lovely sounds “front left, front right” I knew we were in business.

Thanks so much for (IMOO) going above and beyond with detailed directions, font coloring for commands.

I used to use linuxquestions.org a lot, read the why no opensuse forum there, so stumbled upon this just googling, and what a great stumble it was.

Thanks for everything.

Lr

You are MOST welcome.

You could do me a favour when you get the chance (no hurry). Based on the assumption that you have openSUSE-11.0 running now on your Dell XPS M1330 (hopefully a safe assumption on my part) I added an entry here to the openSUSE Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) for your model Dell laptop:
HCL/Laptops/Dell - openSUSE

But I added no amplification for video, and posted nothing for ethernet, wireless, bluetooth, power management, nor nothing under other nor under remarks.

Could you either put a very succinct entry in that same row for your XPS M1330 (replacing the questions) , or if you hate wiki syntax, then simply post here and let me know how any of those areas (video, ethernet, wireless, bluetooth, power management) work on your laptop, and I’ll update the wiki.

Many thanks!

Done, after several minor saves to get the jist of the {} ||, etc I think it’s done (and clean!)

Thanks again, let me know if I missed anything, gladly post anything you request.

The HCL looks great for your laptop! Thanks.