Sound Issues could be alsa related?

Hi all,

Operating System - Opensuse 11.3
Sound Card - SB Audigy 2 ZS (SBO350).

Issue: Sound card does not initialise properly and I am unable to hear sounds with all programs.

Desktop: Gnome

The following occurs when I type in the rcalsasound restart command.

rcalsasound restart
ALSA lib conf.c:3601:(snd_config_update_r) Cannot access file /etc/alsa-pulse.conf
ALSA lib control.c:902:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0
/usr/sbin/alsactl: get_controls:552: snd_ctl_open error: No such file or directory
Shutting down sound driverALSA lib conf.c:3601:(snd_config_update_r) Cannot access file /etc/alsa-pulse.conf
ALSA lib seq.c:935:(snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ default
can't open sequencer
                                                                                                                                                                         done
Starting sound driver:  emu10k1                                                                                                                                          done

Within the Sound Configuration - Yast program I have tried to delete the sound card and re-install it without success.

Within the mixer program in Gnome, in the Output tab it states Dummy Output - Stereo. Previously there were options to select such configurations as surround sound, analog stereo etc. Now there is only the Dummy OUtput there.

Also when running an MP3 through VLC media player the following error occurs

Potential ALSA version problem:
VLC failed to initialize your sound output device (if any).
Please update alsa-lib to version 1.0.23-2-g8d80d5f or higher to try to fix this issue.

It does continue playing the sound, although when I have attempted to run a linux game supertuxkart, there is no sound.

I hope that I have provided sufficient information for someone to help me.

Thank you.

I don’t get that error when I type “rcalsasound restart” as root. Having stated that, I also do not have your sound hardware nor do I use gnome. I do note on my openSUSE-11.2 and 11.3 PCs there is no /etc/alsa.conf file. Hence given there is no such file, I am not surprised it can not be found, although maybe that is needed as part of pulse audio being installed ? (I don’t have pulse audio). The question I ask is why is it looking for the file ? Is it looking for it because it is installed with Gnome pulse audio ?? Perhaps we need a gnome user here to comment.

I note there is an ‘alsasound’ file in /etc/init.d/ but it is not alsasound.conf, … it is just alsasound. Have you installed non-openSUSE packages (such as drivers from the manufacturer) ? Or maybe this is pulse audio ?

Reference /usr/sbin/alsa.ctrl, only root has access to that file. Try running ‘rcalsasound restart’ NOT with sudo, but after having first typed: “su -”.

Can you be more explicit ? What does “without success” mean ?? Does it mean when you press delete it just says “not configured” but remains there ? If so, that is nominal behavour.

As you can see, its not possible to guess what you mean.

Sorry, I’m not a gnome user. I can’t explain that.

My understanding is thats a vlc bug. The message is misleading and erroneous.

I do not use supertuxkart, so I do not know what is needed to configure its sound.

Note in general Linux is very unfriendly when it comes to multiple applications using the sound device at the same time. Its quite common for one application to use the sound device, and refuse to share it with other applications. And sometimes when an application closes, it closes improperly, and refuses to release the sound device when it closes, resulting in no other applications having access to the sound device.

A way to determine what applications (if any) are accessing the sound device, is copy and paste the following into a terminal or a konsole:

lsof /dev/dsp* /dev/audio* /dev/mixer* /dev/snd/* 

Note that is "/dev/snd/" and it is NOT /dev/snd

If one runs the above line at different times, when one’s sound is working and not working, one can learn better as to what the output means, and be better able to " point one’s finger " at the offending application that has seized the audio device. Note also running that once and posting it here is totally useless. You need to run it multiple times under different conditions to figure out what it means.

Good luck in sorting your problem.

Hi,

I ended up fixing this by inserting the Opensuse CD and performing a system update.
It appears that through the cd it was able to re-install my sound card driver.

I know that this is probably not the best way to solve all issues, although it worked.

Thanks for responding.

Glad to read its working now.

For information, the various “alsa” packages provide the sound driver for openSUSE, and the specific driver within alsa that is for your hardware will be loaded as a kernel module. Thats probably all techno-gobbly-gook now, but someday it may make more sense.