Sound from Laptop Speakers and headphones - Yes another one :(

Hi, reading some posts in here seems others have same issue. I might have a different problems as I have a newer laptop, a HP dv6-2170us with intel i5 cpu. I had no wireless with the 2.6.31 kernel so I upgraded to the 2.6.34 and had to manually compile my wireless driver. Everything works great now except the sound issue. I thought it use to work out the box with the old kernel, but then again I might be wrong. I knwo it works in the “other os” dual booting and all. Its a not a huge issue, but hopeing I could resolve it.
Here is some of the info from reading some of the other posts. the model=dell-vostro I just tried to see if that works, which is doesnt, so thats why thats in my sound.conf file.

Output from /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh: www private pastebin - collaborative debugging tool

rpm -qa ‘alsa
alsa-plugins-1.0.21-3.3.x86_64
alsa-utils-1.0.21-3.1.x86_64
alsa-1.0.21-3.2.x86_64
alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.17-25.2.x86_64
alsa-oss-1.0.17-25.2.x86_64
alsa-plugins-32bit-1.0.21-3.3.x86_64

rpm -qa ‘pulse
libpulse0-0.9.21-1.2.1.x86_64
libpulse0-32bit-0.9.21-1.2.1.x86_64
libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.21-1.2.1.x86_64
libxine1-pulse-1.1.16.1-7.6.x86_64

rpm -q libasound2
libasound2-1.0.21-3.2.x86_64

uname -a
Linux linux-ux0h 2.6.34-rc5-22-default #1 SMP 2010-04-23 17:08:18 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel

u1Nb.fI9xo2dP7nB:5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=dell-vostro

Have I missed anything? I have tried the fix here:
Audio coming from both headphone and laptop speakers - Page 3 - openSUSE Forums page 3 about adding a repo and upgrading, but that upgrade wants me to revert back to the older kernel in which case I dont have wireless support or acpi working proporly, so thats not a doable thing for me.

Thanks for the help.

#Simple mixer control ‘Master’,0

Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined

Playback channels: Mono

Limits: Playback 0 - 64

Mono: Playback 46 [72%] -13.50dB] [on]

#Simple mixer control ‘Speaker’,0

Capabilities: pvolume pswitch

Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right

Limits: Playback 0 - 64

Mono:

Front Left: Playback 34 [53%] -22.50dB] [on]

Front Right: Playback 34 [53%] -22.50dB] [on]

Try moving your volume controls up as the one’s I’ve highlighted are low.

Also, what are you using for a speaker test?

If sound does not work with a model option, then remove the option. Leaving the option in is almost guaranteed to cause more problems. After removing the option, then reboot.

I note this in your PC:
#!!HDA-Intel Codec information
#!!---------------------------
#Codec: IDT 92HD75B3X5
I do not know if that codec is supported … I do know know of ANY model option called “dell-vostro”. I searched the HD-Audio-Models.txt file for such an option and did not find it. You just can’t make up options (such as dell-vostro) out of the air and put them in and hope they work.

I also did not find any reference to the 92HD75B3 …

Well the issue isnt that I dont have sound. Infact the sounds works great and sounds great. The issue I have is the built in speakers in then laptop do not mute when plugging in headphones to the front jack of the laptop, like its supposed to do. I do have a volume slider “Speakers” that adjusts the speaker volume but doesnt effect the headphone volume, so I can manually mute that when using headphones (I just realized this after I posted), but I wish there was a way to auto mute when the headphones are plugged in like what happens in the “other os”. Just a minor minor issue, but something to strive for none the less.

11.2 and the 2.6.34 kernel is not standard, so you won’t get any support with that configuration from official channels.

You best bet may be to boot to an openSUSE-11.3 milestone release liveCD, test your sound under that, and write a bug report if you experience the same behaviour.

11.2 and the 2.6.34 kernel is not standard, so you won’t get any support with that configuration from official channels.

I was thinking that might be the case, but thought I would ask first. Thats why I made sure to say what kernel I was using up front. Ill give the 11.3 live cd a try and see what I get. thanks

Apologies for the shortness of my previous answer, but last night my back was killing me … the joys of old age :slight_smile:

The symptom you described typically means that alsa sound driver is not configured correctly. This, as you have attempted, can sometimes be corrected by installing a custom option upon boot in the configuration file. However I am aware of no such option for the hardware audio codec in your PC.

One option is to update to the latest 1.0.23 version of alsa. But there are no precompiled alsa rpms for that kernel version that I am aware of. Hence you could download and compile all the various tarballs from here: Main Page - AlsaProject ie alsa-driver, alsa-lib, alsa-utils, alsa-tools, alsa-firmware, and alsa-plugins. However that also may not solve the problem if someone else has not reported it.

Then the solution is to write a bug report on this so that the openSUSE sound packager (who is also an alsa driver developer) can look at this and solve the problem. They likely will not look at openSUSE-11.2 with 2.6.34 as that is non standard. But they will look at 11.3 milestone with 2.6.34, and hence my suggestion above.

There is guidance for writing bug reports here: Submitting Bug Reports - openSUSE Be certain to raise the bug report against component “sound” and NOT against the kernel.

Run the diagnostic script:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload

which will create the file /tmp/alsa-info.txt. Attach that file to the bug report.

Note the openSUSE packager/alsa-developer who addresses the bug report will NOT read a forum thread. So your bug report MUST have all salient information inside.

They may have some suggested things for you to test, so please monitor the status of the bug report.

Good luck !