Sound does not work

I’m running opensuse 12.1 on my desktop

The sound has only worked once. Since then it has never really worked.
I have a gtx 650 with hdmi
and onboard on my motherboard

When I 1st did I I upgraded the drivers when through forums and added ALSA, pulseaudio, and xine.

I upgraded the kernel and then sound worked, but never got sound in youtube

I upgraded to latest version of KDE and sound stopped working.

Ended up wiping the system and starting over.

Now I just picked up I believe it is Alsa, pulseaudio, gstreamer, and xine.

I have my onboard audio as 0 and the HDMI on my video card

I deleted settings on HDMI and have xine as preferred in phonon.

I test the analog in pulseaudio and the bars move and stuff but still don’t get any sound.

Also in phonon everytime I start the system it always defaults back to the HDMI I will make the onboard the primary sound card and then I get a bug. when I exit phonon.

I’m a little unsure how to deal with this.

I’ve read threads on it but its a little confusing.

Only other things I can think of is.

1. Wipe the system and upgrade to 12.2
  2. forget about sound (which I have done up to this point but I wondered why this had happened)

Thanks - wrt pulse audio, may I recommend you read my blog entry to learn how to use pulse audio volume control (pavucontrol) which may help: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/oldcpu/pulseaudio-basics-opensuse-pavucontrol-96/

Wrt more specific advice, could you please run a diagnostic script that will provide more very technical detail. Please with your PC connected to the Internet send the command from within a terminal:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

Select the ‘share/upload’ option when asked, and then when the script is 100% complete, read in the terminal a URL/Web address that the script will give you. This is a location where the script will upload hardware/software configuration information about your PC’s audio. Please post that URL here so we can better understand your PC’s audio problem.

Good luck.

hmmm actually I tried my headphones and those work fine in the back of the motherboard.

I had these hooked up to my monitor that had speakers on them but I don’t think those work very well so I may just go with this for now.

to make 100 percent sure I need to pick up some speakers

Glad to read the headphones are working.

If things do go bad again wrt sound, don’t forget to read up on how to use pulse audio volume control (pavucontrol) which may help: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/oldcpu/pulseaudio-basics-opensuse-pavucontrol-96/

and also if things turn bad, run the diagnostic script I noted that will provide more very technical detail (where to do so with your PC connected to the Internet send the command from within a terminal):

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

and then select the ‘share/upload’ option when asked, and then when the script is 100% complete, read in the terminal a URL/Web address that the script will give you. This is a location where the script will upload hardware/software configuration information about your PC’s audio. Please post that URL here so we can better understand your PC’s audio problem.

Good luck with any planned new speakers.