sound does not work after reboot

Hi,

I am trying to configure a friend’s HP laptop with OS11.2

After reading several forums and so on I figured out that sound must be configured with the option module=hp-dv5 or module=hp-m4. The laptop is a pavilion dv5, and the sound driver is hda-intel.

So far so good, all done via yast2, it restarts the sound server, can play a test sound, everything works.

But then, if I restart the computer, I do not have any sound at all. Under yast the added parameters are still there, but it does not work.
trying to run rcalsasound restart does not solve the problem either.

Any clues where to look at in order to solve this problem? Thanks

I don’t understand the problem. From your description of the problem, I can not tell if sound still works anywhere now.

… anyway, could you describe the current problem better (ie how it works now, NOT how it worked before) and also provide the information from the second half of our multimedia stickie, Welcome to multimedia sub-area - openSUSE Forums … ie specifically:

please post … providing in your post the following information:

• provide the URLs (of a summary webpage) that are created by running the diagnostic script noted here:
    SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE - Script to run to obtain detailed information. On openSUSE-11.1 and newer that will ask you to run the script /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh and after the script finishes it will give you a URL to pass to the support personnel. Please post here the output URL. Just the URL. You may need to run that script twice (the first time with root permissions to update in the /usr/sbin directory, and the second time to get the URL).
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘alsa#and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘pulse#and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -q libasound2 #and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: uname -a #and post output here
  • for openSUSE-11.1 or earlier, in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound #and post output here
  • for openSUSE-11.2 or later, in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf #and post output here

Note - work is incredibly busy for me now, and my time as a volunteer over the next 3 days will be severely limited. Hence my reply may be very slow in coming.

The problem is that I can hear no sound.

I figured out the cause : speaker volume goes down to 0. I will dig further and eventually file a bug, but my impression is :
speaker volume cannot be set to 100%, otherwise it will be reset to 0 at/after reboot.
If set to 98%, this volume value remains after reboot.

Thanks anyways for your answer!