Sound disappeared after upgrading KDE 4.0.4 to 4.1.3

I had the weirdest experience right now. In KDE v.4.0.4, my sound worked perfectly, but I’m a sucker for visual stuff so I decided to upgrade to 4.1.3 instead, which was also recommended on the opensuse page about KDE.

When I login, I hear the login-sound loud and clear, but after that there’s no sound. When I check KMix, it’s muted. Can’t unmute it either. When I logout, I get the logout music as well.

I went in to the mixer to see if the setting for Analog/Digital output jack had been muted, but no. It’s still there and it’s still unmuted. I can’t find any setting anywhere that is muted. And KMix won’t let me unmute.

I’m running opensuse 11.0 with KDE4.1.3, and the active soundcard is an Audigy2 ZS Platinum. I’m not using pulse-audio because it has only cost me wasted, very silent, time before.

Anyone have a hint or clue or solution?

What happens when you type:
su -c ‘rcalsasound restart’ enter root password … and then
kmix

Did you remove all the pulse apps? If so, it is possible this is related (although in truth I do not know).

Shutting down sound driverERROR: Module snd_emu10k1 is in use
ERROR: Module snd_ac97_codec is in use by snd_emu10k1
ERROR: Module ac97_bus is in use by snd_ac97_codec
ERROR: Module snd_pcm is in use by snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec
ERROR: Module snd_timer is in use by snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
ERROR: Module snd_page_alloc is in use by snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
ERROR: Module snd_rawmidi is in use by snd_emu10k1
ERROR: Module snd_seq_device is in use by snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi
ERROR: Module snd_util_mem is in use by snd_emu10k1
ERROR: Module snd_hwdep is in use by snd_emu10k1
ERROR: Module snd is in use by snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_util_mem,snd_hwdep
                                                                      failed
Starting sound driver:  emu10k1                                       done

I get the same, muted kmix that won’t let me unmute.

I didn’t remove them, no. I just never installed them when I installed 11.0. I had 11.1 installed before, and the sound didn’t work at all with pulse. In 11.0 pulse wasn’t installed and the sound worked fine, until I upgraded KDE4.

I also just noticed that the sound works in some applications, like aMSN, and in a bunch of games.

A good test to determine sound functions is to copy and paste the following into a gnome terminal or a kde konsole: speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twav

Using aMSN, games, amarok, xine, etc as a basic sound test is a bad. The reason being those are not basic sound tests, … for they involve codecs and other aspects.

So you are saying sound works in aMSN and games, even though kmix has your sound muted?

I had a similar problem with KDE 4.1.3/openSUSE 11.1.

kmix/KDE3 was installed by default. Try to replace it by kde4-kmix package.
I’ve replaced PulseAudio/Gstreamer by Xine backend too. Worked fine for me.

I get sound from speaker-test as well. KMix shows “muted” in the right-click menu, but no channels are muted in the mixer-window. It won’t unmute in the rc-menu no matter what i do.

And yes, sound works in aMSN and some games.

KDE4-kmix was installed by default.

nudge bump

Your sound works … what are you looking to fix now?

wrt the mixer, check your permissions. What happens if you add a regular user to group audio, and then reboot? There is guidance here for that: SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

Or, alternatively, is it possible to use a KDE3 mixer instead of a KDE4 mixer?

I don’t mean to sound ungrateful or arrogant, but no, i don’t consider no sound meaning working sound.

It’s great that speaker-test show that my hardware is working, but if I don’t get sound in applications in which I want sound (such as media-players etc.), I would stretch myself to claim it isn’t working. My regular user no longer gets login and logout-sounds, when logged in as root the issue is the same (not even root can unmute), and when creating a new user and add said user to audio - the issue remains.

My regular user is already a member of group audio, that was done when I used 4.0.4. But I’ll try removing and re-adding if you think it will make a difference.

I would if I knew how. I’ll uninstall the kde4 one and see if I can locate one for kde3.

I confess to being completely confused as to what sound works and what sound does not work on your PC.

Does the speaker test give you sound as a regular user? To me, that is the bottom line. Everything else is a different issue (albeit related).

Typically media players, as delivered by Novell/SuSE-GmbH are crippled for sound and video playback of proprietary codecs (which are the VAST MAJORITY of codecs). Hence AFTER ONE’s SOUND is FUNCTIONAL, one must then install 3rd party products to get openSUSE functioning with proprietary codecs.

Fortunately, this is easy to do.

Simply add OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman to your Software Package Manager repositories. Just those 4. No others. None. You can add others only after you understand the risks, and how to work around problems that can occur with other repositories added. There is guidance how to add those 4 repositories here for 11.1: Repositories/11.1 - openSUSE-Community
… again, just add OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman. If you added others, remove them now. Especially remove videolan as its multimedia apps are not compatible with Packman. If you installed any codecs or media players from videolan, change them to Packman versions.

Anyway, once your 4 repos are setup, go to YaST > Hardware > Sound and add: amarok, smplayer, kaffeine, vlc, libxine1, libbfmpeg0 (all from Packman) to replace any Novell/SuSE GmbH versions. libffmpeg0 in particular will bring in (as part of its dependencies) a bunch of codecs that you need. You can also install flash-player and mplayerplug-in. That should get you started, ASSUMING your basic sound functions.

This is a desktop system issue, and IMHO is relatively minor in the relative scheme of things. I find the login and logout sounds quite irritating, and if anyone else is around me, they find it annoying as well.

Also, please stop, NOW logging in as root. Its really to your benefit. I for one, am very reluctant to help users who log in as root, as they invariably mess up something as root, and then they waste my time and theirs on a wild goose chase, when in fact they caused the entire problem initially as root, when they were chasing another problem. Its best to JUST DON’T LOG IN AS ROOT !

As a test, create a brand new user “billg” or something like that, and see if that user has sound. You can have fun deleting “billg” later. :slight_smile:

Good luck.