Here is the thing:
- After booting, the sound doesn’t work properly and makes the same noise than old TVs without a program
- I found a temporary fix that always work: open YaST > Sound > Uninstall all sound cards, then use Edit and quick install for each of them to get the sound back (+ Apply which will save the changes).
Hereafter is the diff of lsmod (diff lsmod_file_after lsmod_file_before):
2,14d1< snd_hda_codec_ca0132 18062 1 < snd_hda_codec_hdmi 40844 1 < snd_hda_intel 42034 9 < snd_hda_codec 147417 3 snd_hda_codec_ca0132,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel < snd_hwdep 13603 1 snd_hda_codec < snd_pcm 110154 6 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec < snd_seq 69780 0 < snd_timer 29371 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq < snd_seq_device 14498 1 snd_seq < snd 91489 24 snd_hda_codec_ca0132,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device < soundcore 15048 1 snd < snd_page_alloc 18711 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm < joydev 17378 0 47a35 > snd_hda_codec_ca0132 18062 1 53a42 > snd_hda_codec_hdmi 40844 1 60a50,52 > snd_hda_intel 42034 4 > snd_hda_codec 147417 3 snd_hda_codec_ca0132,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel > snd_hwdep 13603 1 snd_hda_codec 64a57 > snd_pcm 110154 3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec 66a60 > snd_seq 69780 0 70a65,66 > snd_timer 29371 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq > snd_seq_device 14498 1 snd_seq 73a70 > snd 91489 17 snd_hda_codec_ca0132,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device 83a81,82 > soundcore 15048 1 snd > snd_page_alloc 18711 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
As you can see there are a few differences like:
- snd_hda_intel 42034 4
- snd 91489 17 snd_hda_codec_ca0132,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
(which are the new values).
I forgot how to change the modules loaded at boot and will start investigating on that for now. In the mean time, if anyone has an idea or can create an OpenSuse ticket (because there is clearly a bug) to get this issue fixed, that’d be great.
A few more information:
- I read those topics: https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Audio_troubleshooting and https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/multimedia/468328-opensuse-12-1-sb-x-fi-xtreme-no-sound-after-first-reboot.html thinking it could help, but it didn’t.
- My user has no admin privileges at all but the sound always works after doing step 2 as described above.
- I have two sound cards described by the system as: 0:snd-hda-intel ; 1:snd-hda-intel. This is a very poor description since my speakers are actually plugged in on a SoundBlaster Recon3D (yes it works!).
Also, if anyone knows 1) how to script step 2 that I described before and 2) get it loaded before login, that would be a fine fix to me. 1) only would be already really helpful.
I’ll keep investigating on that.