Sound card randomly not found at boot/login?

On 2013-04-14, Shadoglare <Shadoglare@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
>
> So tonight I decided to do the “10 boot test” to see what would happen.
>
> 10 boots, where all I did was boot up, log in, determine does the sound
> work yes or no, and hit reboot. No updates, no settings changes, not
> even loading an app aside from stuff that fires up on boot. Here are the
> results:
>
> 1: No. 2: No. 3: Yes. 4: No. 5: No. 6: Yes. 7: No. 8: Yes. 9: Yes. 10:
> No
<SNIP>

The plot thickens. Thanks for the pastes. As already noticed by others, the failed pulseaudio logins are associated with
repeated instances (from line 965ff) of:

2013-04-14T18:31:16.271428-05:00 PITA dbus-daemon[431]: dbus[431]: [system] Rejected send message, 2 matched rules;
type="method_call", sender=":1.18" (uid=1000 pid=1050 comm="kdeinit4: plasma-desktop [kdeinit]              ")
interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="Get" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0"
destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" (uid=0 pid=434 comm="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon ")
2013-04-14T18:31:16.271470-05:00 PITA dbus[431]: [system] Rejected send message, 2 matched rules; type="method_call",
sender=":1.18" (uid=1000 pid=1050 comm="kdeinit4: plasma-desktop [kdeinit]              ")
interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="Get" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0"
destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" (uid=0 pid=434 comm="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon ")

It’s very strange that this is intermittent. I find oldcpu’s suggestion that it may be a residual capacitance problem
frankly frightening and think it’s definitely worth checking. And of course the permissions issue is one to exclude as
oldcpu suggests too (although I do not see why this would be intermittent).

> Out of curiosity I tried manually restarting the daemon, and it gives
> me errors about not being able to start, though I deleted the settings
> file.

I would be interested to know if the same occurred if you logged in as root.

> Another reboot and I’ll probably look into just not using it as
> suggested above

I’m not 100% sure that uninstalling and removing PulseAudio will solve your problem but it would seem definitely worth a
try at least as a workaround to get sound until the dbus-daemon issue can be resolved.

I gave this a try, and over the course of the evening I’ve rebooted 11 times (it was going to be 10, but then as I was about to write this another GStreamer update came through, so I figured I’d better reboot again just to be sure)… and sound has worked every single time.

Why I would all of a sudden need special permissions for sound to work, or why it seemingly only happened on a random basis, I’m still completely lost on, but it sure seems to work now.
Thank you - hopefully this one sticks. :slight_smile: