Sorting updatable (blue) applications in Yast2

Hello,

in Yast 2, we all know that packages that have updates available for install are shown in blue colour.
Also, packages that were not installed from officla/usual repository, or simply from other sources (for example Adobe Reader in recent Opensuse versions, or Opera browser, or Skype etc.), or they just have now a higher version number than those in the repositories, are shown in red colour.

Can I have these coloured packages order by this criteria ?
Lets say that I want to see at the top of the list all updatable packages. How can I do this ?
Similar for those red colored packages as well.

Thanks.

Right-click on the list and select “All in this list”->“Update if a newer version is available”, then sort by package state (should be the default, but YaST won’t resort the packages immediately so you’d have to click on the 1st column header) and/or switch to the “Installation Summary” view.

Similar for those red colored packages as well.

For those that are not available in any repo:
Switch to “View”->“Repositories”, select the “@System” repo, and select “Unmaintained packages” as secondary filter.
Or switch to “View”->“Package Groups” and select “Orphaned Packages” on the left.

I am not aware of a possibility to list the packages where you have a higher version installed than available (which are also listed in red).

Thanks … I had used this method many times before, but I still wanted a method to see all of them up-front before trying any action to select update for any of them, just to see all updatable packages at front, before taking any actions on them.
This action you mentioned is, though, a useful mean of having all “blue” packages ordered , if no other method is available.

For those that are not available in any repo:
Switch to “View”->“Repositories”, select the “@System” repo, and select “Unmaintained packages” as secondary filter.
Or switch to “View”->“Package Groups” and select “Orphaned Packages” on the left.

I am not aware of a possibility to list the packages where you have a higher version installed than available (which are also listed in red).

As far as I can test, also, indeed you cannot see the packages that have a higher version than what’s in the repositories now; only those that don’t exist at all (or are not in the repos anymore + “foreign” ones also).
Good tip though; I just took down (uninstalled) a few packages that were installed through Packman and now are not there anymore - newer ones already installed … strange kind of behaviour from Packman, by the way.
Thanks again.

Well, that’s not really strange behaviour from Packman in particular.

That’s part of (open)SUSE’s packaging policy.
If libraries get upgraded, they get a new package name (e.g. libpng16 vs. libpng15). Only this makes it possible to keep older (incompatible) versions installed that might be needed by some (older) software.

Packman does remove the older versions if they are not needed any more, but the packages of course stay installed on your system.
You’d see the same with additional OBS repos.
Shouldn’t cause any problems though.