Somethinhg very wrong with xdm in 11.3

I have now 3 machines running xdm, a Thinkpad X40 (clean wipe/install_, a Thinkpad X200s (upgraded from 11.2) and a Desktop (I think Dell intel core 7; also upgraded from 11.2). All three show the same trouble.

I do not run KDE or gnome, but fvwm, emacs and xterms. If I log on correctly it is OK (usually) but if I give th ewrong password (I have a variety and i sometimes use th ewrong one) then xdm goes completely black screen. I canm alt-Ctl-F1 tp get a terminal, and log in as root, init 3; init 5; and the xdm allows me to start again. This seems rather heavy to one wrong chracter, of inadvertent caps lock!

I conclude , as I did earlier, that xdm is not right.

I should add that two of these machines are running 64bit and one 32 bit

==JOhn ff

On 2010-08-22 04:40, jpff wrote:

> I conclude , as I did earlier, that xdm is not right.

—> Bugzilla.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

Reporting via bugzilla was rather pointless. The report was closed as they know about it but are not going to release a fix. That is not the way I run software projects

So any further suggestions? They say it i sfixed in factory but no information as how to find/install

==John ff

If its fixed in Factory then submit the Factory repository

How? I tried but no information
And what else will it do?

Submit Index of /factory via yast2 or

zypper  -ar http://download.opensuse.org/factory/

then update xdm.

Sorry to live in a simpler world, but what does "Submit Index of /factory via yast2 " mean? It is not acceptable as a URL to packages.

that means that you open the program yast2. there you go to the point add repository: then you add the url. in this url there are the factory packages. one of the packages is xdm. then you can install via yast2 (its a package manager also) the new fixed xdm.

OK; I think I may have worked it out – now to fix all the other machines

On 2010-08-24 09:06, Pilgervater wrote:
>
> that means that you open the program yast2. there you go to the point
> add repository: then you add the url. in this url there are the factory
> packages. one of the packages is xdm. then you can install via yast2
> (its a package manager also) the new fixed xdm.

This is dangerous. You could break the entire system.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

Of course there is a possibility to break the system when using factory packages. In this case you can make a downgrade and your system is working again.