Someone here wouldn't know how to mount a NFS or SMB share on a Mac?

Would someone here know how to mount ether a NFS or a Samba share on a
Mac? When I tried by hand, using sudo to do it, I got a permission error
on the client. I know both shares work because the NFS mounts cleanly on
Linux boxes and the Samba share can be accessed by Windows clients. I
just need to make one of the two shares available for Mac clients, both
protocols are sharing the same client so it doesn’t matter server side
which protocol is used.

“We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other
reason than only freedom can make security more secure.” Karl Popper

If you do a search with search terms like mount samba os/x, you will find any number of tutes on how to mount Samba or Windows shares on a Mac, for example this one:

Lifehacker - How to mount a Windows shared folder on your Mac - File Sharing

ken yap wrote:
>
> If you do a search with search terms like mount samba os/x, you will
> find any number of tutes on how to mount Samba or Windows shares on a
> Mac, for example this one:
>
> ‘Lifehacker - How to mount a Windows shared folder on your Mac - File
> Sharing’ (http://tinyurl.com/mvj5en)
>
>

I have tried that and I get a -50 error when it tries to connect and I
haven’t found a tutorial which states that error and for NFS they said
to use nfs://ipaddress:/path/to/share but that doesn’t connect

Well since you say it works fine from Windows, presumably the problem is with the Mac so you might need to ask some Mac users. I don’t have much acquaintance with Macs. But I find that their emphasis on the GUI means that it’s often hard to work out what’s happening behind the scenes.

I have always went through the finder using samba, never tried a NFS share.
Go -> Connect to Server
smb://server_address
Since it isn’t working though you might want to change it to cifs://server_address and see if that helps.

It does work. Thing is, the user has to have an account on the NFS server. If he doesn’t exist, no connect.
What Apple put under the hood is a BSD variant. BSD knows NFS and Samba as well, so it’s a matter of configuring. I know there’s lots of HOWTO’s on the Mac fora.

69 rs ss wrote:

>
> I have always went through the finder using samba, never tried a NFS
> share.
> Go -> Connect to Server
> smb://server_address
> Since it isn’t working though you might want to change it to
> cifs://server_address and see if that helps.
>
>

cifs is also giving me a -50 error code, it would be nice to if it was
more specific about what the error is. The Mac is talking to the
Linux box because when I use the Connect to Server it sees the
hostname of the box. I don’t think it would be an authentication
error because on the Samba share it is set to allow guests.


“We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other
reason than only freedom can make security more secure.” Karl Popper

I have little experience with mac computers, but I recently pulled some files from my Mum and Dad’s old windows machine to there new mac via samba without a problem.

Anyway, maybe these links ca offer some help re nfs:

MacTechNotes: Mac OS X as an NFS Client

Linux.com :: Building a heterogeneous home network for Linux and Mac OS X

deano ferrari wrote:

>
> I have little experience with mac computers, but I recently pulled
some
> files from my Mum and Dad’s old windows machine to there new mac via
> samba without a problem.
>
> Anyway, maybe these links ca offer some help re nfs:
>
> ‘MacTechNotes: Mac OS X as an NFS Client’
(http://tinyurl.com/2bpnrk)
>
> ‘Linux.com :: Building a heterogeneous home network for Linux and
Mac
> OS X’ (http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/54739)
>
>

It doesn’t like NFS ether this time the error I get is Operation not
permitted when mounting the NFS though the commandline, already tired
with NetInfo and that produced nothing. I’ll give the program
mentioned in that Linux.com article a try latter.

“We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other
reason than only freedom can make security more secure.” Karl Popper

Maybe open up a Terminal on the Mac and try to connect from the shell. OS/X is BSD based and so is a Unix-based OS. You should be able to use programs like smbclient to the server to see what happens. That might give you better error messages.

On 6/16/09 12:50 PM, Adam Jimerson wrote:
> 69 rs ss wrote:
>
>> I have always went through the finder using samba, never tried a NFS
>> share.
>> Go -> Connect to Server
>> smb://server_address
>> Since it isn’t working though you might want to change it to
>> cifs://server_address and see if that helps.
>>
>>
>
> cifs is also giving me a -50 error code, it would be nice to if it was
> more specific about what the error is. The Mac is talking to the
> Linux box because when I use the Connect to Server it sees the
> hostname of the box. I don’t think it would be an authentication
> error because on the Samba share it is set to allow guests.
>
Is there a firewall set up on the smb/nfs server? If so have the correct
ports/services been forwarded?

69_rs_ss wrote:

> On 6/16/09 12:50 PM, Adam Jimerson wrote:
>> 69 rs ss wrote:
>>
>>> I have always went through the finder using samba, never tried a
NFS
>>> share.
>>> Go -> Connect to Server
>>> smb://server_address
>>> Since it isn’t working though you might want to change it to
>>> cifs://server_address and see if that helps.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> cifs is also giving me a -50 error code, it would be nice to if it
was
>> more specific about what the error is. The Mac is talking to the
>> Linux box because when I use the Connect to Server it sees the
>> hostname of the box. I don’t think it would be an authentication
>> error because on the Samba share it is set to allow guests.
>>
> Is there a firewall set up on the smb/nfs server? If so have the
correct
> ports/services been forwarded?

Yes I made sure that the firewall ports for smb and nfs is open on my
server

“We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other
reason than only freedom can make security more secure.” Karl Popper