Some suggestions for improvments..

Hello!

No, -not wining.

I would like to take up 2 things that I find annoying:

Last week and again during the weekend to today my server that I store the photos I publish here was down (reason bad update installed). I could see that no photos where visible where I have posted in treads. They got back when I solved the problem on the server and got online again.
-Why not store the photos/pictures published in the treads inside the forum instead of dependant of external URL’s?
-In connection to this I have read some comments in the forum that people have problem to understand how to publish pictures/photos in the treads. Sometime maybe it would help users looking for help to upload a screen shot describing the problem (does the NNTP-client support pic/photos)?

regards

Whilst I cannot help with the screenshot thing otherwise but have you considered storing them on imgur ( www.imgur.com) ?

You can set your collection so that it’s private but you can still link to the picture if you know the URI.

Maybe a generous contribution could make the Forums to run the server capacity needed rotfl!

There is http://susepaste.org/ when you have CLI/terminal/console output that is to large for a post.

And when you need to add screenshots or even real camera pictures (in the seldom case that you system is not even booting correctly) there is a choice of picture hosting sites.

For most people/problems/questions this seems to work allright.

On 2014-09-02 13:26, jonte1 wrote:

> (does the NNTP-client support
> pic/photos)?

Yes, it does. But the gateway does not forward them to the web side, and
it is frowned upon (it would eat space on the nntp server, for
instance). I just tested it once to find out if it worked, with a small
photo (Subject: How to use NNTP with the openSUSE Forums?, Newsgroups:
opensuse.org.feedback.forums.support-information).

So just upload it to susepaste.org, and post the link.

Ah, conversely, photos and formatting done on the web side is not
forwarded by the gateway to the nntp side, although they could be seen
on nntp, using html posts. But again, this is frowned upon, and not all
nntp clients support it. Thunderbird does.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

I have been wondering to get some contribution to openSUSE but have been reading boardmeetings and so on that SUSE it in on top of this.

Yes I have been testing susepaste.org before then I start to use my own server. Testing again… been meet by asking for author, title and then language, Nor Swedish, Not English, Its asking for dev language/file type…

Filled in Author, not filled in title, choose image language in the drop down list to and uploaded.

=Uploading failed!!!
Only gif|jpg|png|jpeg|svg files smaller then 512k are allowed for this time interval. Allowed file size depends on expiration time.

I also put it on my server and published it in the tread there is a beautiful Wo… Excavator and a young driver.

regards

On 2014-09-02 17:56, jonte1 wrote:

> I have been wondering to get some contribution to openSUSE but have been
> reading boardmeetings and so on that SUSE it in on top of this.

Contributions need to be in the many thousand euro range. Something like
“I can donate a blade server rack, fully populated, with a boxful of
spares”. Or better, a server room with maintenance staff, electricity
bill, and large enough Internet pipe, covered in full for x years.

For mere mortals, forget it. As openSUSE is not a legal organization
that can receive donations, it is impossible. Also there is not an
infrastructure in place to receive small donations that would have to go
to SUSE instead, I think.

> Yes I have been testing susepaste.org before then I start to use my own
> server. Testing again… been meet by asking for author, title and then
> language, Nor Swedish, Not English, Its asking for dev language/file
> type…

Of course.

> =Uploading failed!!!
> Only gif|jpg|png|jpeg|svg files smaller then 512k are allowed for this
> time interval. Allowed file size depends on expiration time.

Of course.

It is enough to post screenshots. I always compress them as much as I
can, and then limit the time.

For big files, recently I had to use google drive.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

Yes…

and I should point out that screenshots or photos can be posted on susepaste, as well. I have done so at times without any problems.

But, my own hosted servers (almost) never go down, so I prefer to post the images there. Since there is some (very minor) commercial aspect to my site, I do not have them in a page, which would possibly stretch forum rules, but instead post direct links to the images themselves with no wrap, advertising, nor links to other parts of my sites. I have set my server to accept outside image referrals from opensuse.org only, no other outside entity can have working referrals to my images (not even Google, Bing, or Duckduckgo).

However, if you bookmark them, you can get to them directly, or you can get to them from the opensuse.org site.