Some glitches that i met using opensuse.

now, it is almost a year since i have installed opensuse for the first time in my linux experience. i am using linux since october 2010 (ubuntu and fedora). since i have wanted to try KDE i said to myself: go for opensuse.
but along the way, i noticed some glitches and i want to make a list of them, i hope my memory will help me.

first of all, i put a conly on my desktop, i just copied the .conkyrc from ubuntu and notice that, on KDE, the background is not transparent.

apper gave me about 30 MB of update almost everyday, some xine, gstreamer, vlc, etc. rebuilds.

i remember once, the power management failed to work just out of the blue and the CPU got lock to a max freq, about 1.9 Ghz. the situation was solved by logout-login

i have noticed that after the screen turns off, the screens flickers twice, after one minute and after another one minute.

two or three times, the screen have staid on. the problem was also solved by login-logout

i am using the laptop as a hotspot to share the CDMA connection to my tablet. i have used hostapd and dnsmasq. but oneday, just as that, the hotspot just refuses to work and it refuses to work from that time. luckly for me, i found a workaround by setting up a sharing internet connection from the network manager.

i tried to setup apper to “never” check for updates but i found out that there is a bug that prevent me to do that, what a shame! as a workaroud i just did “zypper remove PackageKit” as i have red on opensuse docs.

just today, when i inserted the SDcard from my camera to the laptop, to my surprise, it did not recognized it anymore. the solved was also logout-login.

other time, the mouse cursor on the screen consisted not of a arrow but a vertical 3 cm dashed line. of course, the logout-login solved the issue.

that is all i can recall for the moment but i promise to come back if i will remember something else or encounter other small issues.

PS. i am using a 2008 dell inspiron laptop, full AMD. but to my surprise, it works as in the first day.

let’s continue the adventure and add some of the “features” that i met:

due to a usb-modeswitch bug i was forced to reinstall my opensuse 13.2 (i tried to install mobile partner and in the and, i destroyed my previous install)

of course, i have installed the grub2 in MBR (to handle my windows and ubuntu installs)
after few reboots, the grub somehow got corrupted, lucky for me, the problem was easy solved by a rescatux CD. but i could not get the grub to be handled by opensuse, it is handled by ubuntu. so, if i want a kernel update, i must go to upgrade grub2 from ubuntu.

the apper bug is up and running.

i have noticed that, when i plug the usb modem, the connection does not appear in the pop-up window, it only shows the icon that shows that i mobile broadband is present and i can connect via connection editor window. the connection does appear in the pop-up windows after few good minutes.

it also happens to have that arrow cursor turned into a vertical dashed line for a half a minutes.

On 2014-12-07 19:06, rich1974 wrote:

> of course, i have installed the grub2 in MBR (to handle my windows and
> ubuntu installs)
> after few reboots, the grub somehow got corrupted, lucky for me, the
> problem was easy solved by a rescatux CD. but i could not get the grub
> to be handled by opensuse, it is handled by ubuntu. so, if i want a
> kernel update, i must go to upgrade grub2 from ubuntu.

You can not have both systems thinking that they can handle grub in mbr.
Only one of them.

So, if ubuntu is configured to handle grub2 in the mbr, leave it; but
then install openSUSE’s grub2 in the root or /boot partition, where it
has full control of it.

This way you first get the grub prompt from ubuntu, which may or may not
boot directly openSUSE’s kernel, but may have an entry to boot instead
openSUSE’s grub, which knows already how to boot its own kernel.

Not the only way.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

as i told before, i know that the grub can’t be handled by both systems. the grub worked okay for few reboots.

another thing: i have noticed that in a moment, the “sshd” process eats about 4% of cpu when idle. but after a reboot, the problem has solved and it did not reappear again.