some basic questions about leap (and tumbleweed)

Hi all,

I have leap installed on virtualbox right now, and am very interested in it. I am thinking of trying it out on my main machine. However, there are a couple basic questions that I have not seen the answers to in any of the documentations / announcements that I have read (please forgive me if they are out there, i looked). Anyways, here goes:

1.** What is the release cycle for leap?** The announcement says that it will no longer be a 9 month (or was it 8?) cycle, but does not actually say what it will be.

1. Leap is going to be “more stable”. Right now, it has the current version of plasma 5. **Will it still have the same version in 6 months, or will it update as plasma 5 updates? **

2. In lieu of what I think the answer probably is for number 2, I looked at tumbleweed. Tumbleweed also seems pretty cool, but it says right on the main website that if you use proprietary graphics drivers (and I do), then this is probably not for you since it will require you to constantly monkey around with that (I paraphrased). Is this actually true? OR, will the system correctly update the graphics drivers as it updates the kernel without me having to get my hands dirty? From what I gather (cant test this in virtualbox), installing proprietary drivers have been greatly simplified since the last time I used opensuse.

Thanks for the help and feedback. I have been very impressed with what I have seen so far!

It is going to be aligned to SLE’s service pack releases, which are planned to be about once a year (November probably).
So the expected “release cycle” is ~12 months.

See also: Lifetime - openSUSE Wiki

1. Leap is going to be “more stable”. Right now, it has the current version of plasma 5. **Will it still have the same version in 6 months, or will it update as plasma 5 updates? **

That’s not decided yet.
In principle, it will only get bugfix and security updates, just like previous versions.
But there can be exceptions.

Plasma 5.4.3 will definitely be released as update though.

In one year, when 42.2 will be released, everything is again rebased to the latest versions (either in Factory or SLE12, depending from where the package will be taken).
Actually exactly like in previous openSUSE releases, just that some packages do not come from Factory but SLE12.

1. In lieu of what I think the answer probably is for number 2, I looked at tumbleweed. Tumbleweed also seems pretty cool, but it says right on the main website that if you use proprietary graphics drivers (and I do), then this is probably not for you since it will require you to constantly monkey around with that (I paraphrased). Is this actually true? OR, will the system correctly update the graphics drivers as it updates the kernel without me having to get my hands dirty? From what I gather (cant test this in virtualbox), installing proprietary drivers have been greatly simplified since the last time I used opensuse.

Yes, this is true, especially for nvidia.
There are no nvidia packages for Tumbleweed, you have to install it “the hard way”, which means a recompilation of the kernel module after each kernel update (and they are frequent).
As Tumbleweed always contains the latest kernel, it is also not guaranteed that the driver will work at all times. Sometimes nvidia needs some time to catch up after a new kernel release.

For fglrx the situation is a bit different: RPM packages do exist for Tumbleweed, and reinstallation is not necessary if you use them.
But again, the driver can break at any time when a new kernel comes out. Actually AMD is much worse regarding this, their driver still only supports Kernels <= 3.19. The packages contain patches for newer kernels, but again new patches might need some time after a new major Kernel version has been released.

Okay, thanks a lot wolf. That cleared everything up for me!

This link re the lifetime explains both minor and major releases really well. I’m loving leap heaps too :slight_smile:

https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime