software updater

Small question…
This little software update reminder that pops up down by the clock. Most often it tells me that there is one update. I don’t use that particular app to update my machine, but I will open Yast in order to download my update. All too often upon opening Yast, I will not find any update to download.

What’s the story?

Hi
It’s likely a patch to the package rather than a package…

zypper ref
zypper up -t patch

I usually disable that in tray settings.

Most often it tells me that there is one update. I don’t use that particular app to update my machine, but I will open Yast in order to download my update. All too often upon opening Yast, I will not find any update to download.

You have not indicated how you are using Yast for updates.

If you use Yast Online Updates, that will only apply patches. If software is updated in any other way, it won’t show in Yast Online Updates. For example, if you have configured packman repos, then updates to packages from packman will not show up in Yast Online Updates.

You can use:

zypper up

at a root command line to update those. Or you can use that update applet. Or you can actually use Yast, but not the way you are probably using it.

Click “Package” on the menu bar. Select “All packages / Update if a newer version is available”. That should give you the missing updates.

I dont seem to have that all packages option in my yast.

I probably explained badly.

Using Yast Software Management – or – Yast Online Update

there is a “Packages” in the Menu bar near top of the Window.

My menu bar show: “File”, “Package”, “Patch”, “Configuration”, “Dependencies”, “Options”, “Extras”, “Help”.

I rarely use most of those. But when I click “Package” there, another menu drops down. It is mostly greyed out unless I have selected a package. Right at the bottom of that drop down menu, there is “All Packages”. And when I move the mouse over the “All Packages”, I get the option to “Update if newer version is available”.

I discovered a means of identifying the needed package, and I retrieved my update.

Do like many here: throw that updater applet away. It will only make your end-users (including yourself) nervous about “again an update, must be very, very important”.

You, as system manager, declare a time slot once a week as a maintenance window. Inform your users (when that is only you, that will be very easy to do) that you can claim the system then for updating and the like.
Then do the YaST > Online Update, or zypper patch, or zypper up. or what your way of doing it is. When there is a kernel update, you can reboot, nobody else is using the system. Also e.g. a new Firefox will not interfere with end-users still having open 10 FF windows with each 5 tabs because the are no end-users active.

This more professional approach will bring you (and your end-users) a lot of peace of mind and let the users use the system for the tasks they want to use it for in the knowledge that the system manager will take care of the condition of the system.

Just my way of doing things.

More than a little bit difficult – it’s a KDE Plasma “Plasmoid” …

• One of the packages to be removed is – “PackageKit” – N.B. take care to respect the capital letters …
  • If “PackageKit” is removed the, the following packages are also removed –

discover-backend-packagekit PackageKit PackageKit-backend-zypp PackageKit-branding-openSUSE PackageKit-lang plasma5-pk-updates plasma5-pk-updates-lang

The package “plasma5-pk-updates” seems to be the one which contains the Plasmoid on the user’s Plasma Desktop …

Well, of course I have removed PackageKit (in fact I never install it). I remember that I removed the package that provided the applet separate once, but it could be that that is done now automaticaly when PackageKit is removed.

I do not use that app. A number of you moderators gave me the same information back when I ran Leap 42. I haven’t forgotten. All I use it for is a reminder.:wink:

If KDE Plasma then, it’s usually either a “Widget” or, a “Plasmoid” – and yes, sometimes it’s an “Applet” – but, never, an “App” …