Software Update looking for Qt 5.6

Frameworks5 has plasma5-addons ver 5.6.0-86.1 at the moment.
So I guess the Show Desktop widget is not fixed yet.

Kcalc is kcalc-15.12.3-1.4.x86_64.rpm in KDE Applications, before your fix.

I had one other ‘nuisance’ on boot up today, my displays started up in ‘clone’ mode rather than side-by-side.
Easily switched with AMDCCCLE.
I’ll report if that persists

Can confirm kcalc and the Show Desktop bug is still there. plasma5-addons is at 5.6.0

I can report that after a forced reboot (form KDE desktop - Launch- Power-Restart) my monitors came up in my usual side by side mode, not cloned.

I now think that the anomaly on first boot today was triggered by a change I made yesterday - I selected to change the Rendering Backend
from OpenGL 2.0 to OpenGL 3.1 in System Settings - Display and Monitor - Compositor Settings.
I changed for no particular reason, aside from “newer is better” knowing full well that “newer is sometimes buggy” as well.
That change likely triggered a reconfiguration of the monitors on first reboot (perhaps).

Another nuisance that I believe has been around for a while in Plasme5.6 betas -
I have System Settings-Workspace-StartupandShutdown-Desktop Session-On Login set to "Restore Previous Session’,
But some applications I normally have open (Firefox, Chrome and Thunderbird) do not automatically restore, but dolphin, konsole and ksysguard do.

All in all, Leap 42.1 is maturing nicely, IMHO.

Yes, a similar problem with the pager widget was fixed, not this one. I mixed them up.

The “Show Desktop” widget seems to work fine when put on the desktop though, so you could use it that way for now.

Kcalc is kcalc-15.12.3-1.4.x86_64.rpm in KDE Applications, before your fix.

The fix is not in yet.
I want to wait for other repo maintainers to respond.

If you need a working kcalc now, you can install it from here:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/wolfi323:/branches:/KDE:/Applications/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/
This will disappear once it will be accepted to KDE:Applications though.

I don’t think that’s related to the Plasma5 update though, and it’s definitely not related to the Qt5 update.
Rather a problem in those applications, they get updated very frequently too.
Maybe those applications crash when told to save their state on logout, or they disable session management, or they crash when started on login…

Firefox is restored correctly here though on my 13.2 system (with the latest packages from KDE:Frameworks5 and KDE:Qt5), the others I don’t have installed.

Actually it is exactly the same problem, and the very same modification fixes it for the “Show Desktop” widget as well.

Open the file /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.showdesktop/contents/ui/main.qml in a text editor (as root), and change lines 36 and 37:

Layout.minimumWidth: Layout.maximumWidth
    Layout.minimumHeight: Layout.maximumHeight

to

Layout.minimumWidth: !root.vertical ? pager.preferredSize.width : 1
    Layout.minimumHeight: root.vertical ? pager.preferredSize.height : 1

I will take care that this will be fixed in Plasma 5.6.1 (and earlier in our packages)…

That fix works. Back to normal now. Thanks.

Interesting - I made those changes, but still cannot drag the plasmoid onto the panel - panel heads off somewhere off screen.

Do I have to remove all installed instances of "Show Desktop first?

What is the best way to remove all panels and start over?
I get the feeling these panels that appear to have disappeared are actually still running, but outside my display area.

Hm, it should work.
But of course you have to restart Plasma (e.g. logout and login again) for the changes to take effect.

Do I have to remove all installed instances of "Show Desktop first?

Not in my experience.
After the change, they should be visible and usable again.

What is the best way to remove all panels and start over?
I get the feeling these panels that appear to have disappeared are actually still running, but outside my display area.

The panels are a different story of course.

You can delete/rename ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc to start completely fresh though.

oops, no, i did not restart plasma, yet…

And, as advertised, works after restart Plasma, a.k.a. logout-login.

Interestingly, that same log-out-login resulted in the Cloned Monitors, once again easily switched by amdcccle to side by side.

So it seems that my setup reverts to “cloned” monitors when Plasma5.6.0 is restarted (log out, login) and from reboot.

At the moment /etc/X11/xorg.conf looks correct, but it’s time stamp indicates a change at boot time, likely when I opened amdcccle to
put system back to side by side mode.

I need to get some other stuff done today, I’ll chase this harder when the updated fglrx arrives.

hi,

Updated per A780GM-m3<2016Mär24><11:02><~>sudo zypper dup
output included

Checking for file conflicts: …
…done]

No problems with two monitors,
Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1680x1050@60.0hz, 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780 (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.7.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.0.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Desktop: 3600x1080

• Confirm no kcalc

• No spell checking in kwrite independent of font selection at 9 & 10 pts.

• Lost in System Settings - Desktop Theme, ability to customise theme,
    although (Customized) remembered from prior install, Breeze + Oxygen icons

cheers

status
Kernel: 4.4.2-8-default x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.6.0 Distro: openSUSE Leap 42.1

See above for a test package that should work, if you need it.

• No spell checking in kwrite independent of font selection at 9 & 10 pts.

Works fine here with the default font settings, Oxygen Mono at 9 points.

• Lost in System Settings - Desktop Theme, ability to customise theme,
    although (Customized) remembered from prior install, Breeze + Oxygen icons

Being able to customize specific parts of the desktop theme has been removed in 5.6, as it was deemed to be unnecessary.

Good news, radeon driver may be in my future.

My system has stopped reverting to clone on reboot, working rather well now.

Does your system enter S3 (STR) OK?
I have had an issue with this new hardware from day 1 (was 13.3/KDE at the time), have not been able to chase it down.
Could be bios, or…

Is it an Intel skylake processor? If so you need kernel greater then 4.3

Thanks for the thought, and now I know a little bit about Skylake CPUs (from quick research).

But no, mine is an
Intel(R) Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
which is a “Haswell Refresh” CPU.

One needs a large database to keep up with what Intel is doing lately…

hi,

YFI

for the last couple of days the monitors (x2) start up in cloned mode,
placing the following cmd in the autostart script (kde) has fixed this

xrandr --output ‘HDMI-0’ --auto --rotate normal --pos 1680x0 --output ‘VGA-0’ --auto --left-of ‘HDMI-0’

cheers

NB. naming of monitors taken from output of cmd

xrandr

e.g.

A780GM-m3<2016Apr01><21:51><~/bin>xrandr                                                                                 
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 3600 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192                                                    
VGA-0 connected primary 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 474mm x 296mm                           
   1680x1050      60.0*+                                                                                                 
   1280x1024      75.0     60.0                                                                                          
   1440x900       75.0     59.9                                                                                          
   1280x960       60.0                                                                                                   
   1152x864       75.0                                                                                                   
   1280x720       60.0                                                                                                                                        
   1024x768       75.1     60.0                                                                                                                               
   800x600        75.0     60.3                                                                                                                               
   640x480        75.0     60.0                                                                                                                               
   720x400        70.1                                                                                                                                        
HDMI-0 connected 1920x1080+1680+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 521mm x 293mm                                                                    
   1920x1080      60.0*+                                                                                                                                      
   1680x1050      59.9                                                                                                                                        
   1280x1024      75.0     60.0  
   1440x900       59.9  
   1280x960       60.0  
   1152x864       75.0  
   1024x768       75.1     70.1     60.0  
   832x624        74.6  
   800x600        72.2     75.0     60.3     56.2  
   640x480        75.0     72.8     66.7     60.0  
   720x400        70.1  
A780GM-m3<2016Apr01><21:53><~/bin>

pc status,
Kernel: 4.4.2-8-default x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.6.0 Distro: openSUSE Leap 42.1
Graphics Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS780 [Radeon HD 3200]
Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1680x1050@60.0hz, 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780 (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.7.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.0.8 Direct Rendering: Yes

Excellent - thanks for the info.
Mine have been very consistently coming up in cloned mode for past few days, but it is also easy to correct.
This will make it even easier.

I was sort of holding off for the next fglrx release to see if that affected behavior

This is a great solution.