Smbtree nonfunctional

$ smbtree --version
Version 4.15.13-git.636.53d93c5b9d6150400.3.23.1-SUSE-oS15.0-x86_64

$ smbtree
smbXcli_negprot_smb1_done: No compatible protocol selected by server.

Found out a while back that smbtree was behind on the update curve, … but
now I need it for a dev project.

Has anyone dealt with getting it working, … or an alternative?

Can you clarify further about what you’re trying to achieve here? There may be other means to obtain the samba information you’re seeking.

AFAIU smbtree relies on SMB1 network browsing and SMB1 is deprecated and disabled today (at least by default) in both Windows and Linux.

Yes, I seem to recall deprecated SMB v1 as the problem some years ago, … so, … the question then becomes how does one perform smbtree functions now??

Interestingly enough, … smbtree now seems to be returning the server name:

$ smbtree
Password for [WORKGROUP/me]:
WORKGROUP
\DC01 Samba 4.15.13-git.636.53d93c5b9d6150400.3.23.1-S
smbc_opendir: Invalid argument

Same for:

$smbtree //dc01

Are there any working notes for updated SMB enviornments?

TIA!!

Yes, you can use Avahi to discover Linux samba hosts. Windows hosts can use the WS-Discovery protocol, and there is wsdd to advertise samba hosts to Windows clients. With KDE at least, the Dolphin file manager can use both WS-Discovery and Avahi to find such hosts on a given network.

FYI, … ther e IS a solution - enable smbv1:

server min protocol = NT1

While a huge security issue, it does work when troubleshooting; just be sure to disable as soon as not needed.

That is not a solution, and there are other more secure ways as already mentioned.

Well, it IS the only solution mentioned here that WORKS. WSD is a non-starter,-it doesn’t even work well for Windows. avhi DNW either.

If you NEED smbtree for testing, enable it; if you forget to disable, your next vulnerability scan will remind you.

Nonsense. I have had it working for a couple years now. Avahi is also working in my Linux environment.