sluggish and then freezes within 10" - KDE

I know this has been discussed already, but so far I have been unable to get a new install of LEAP 42.1 on a new PC in working order. I have been using openssuse since ages, at least for 20 years, the latest install was 13.1. but I am not really familiar with the inner workings of Linux, but here are my problems and the steps taken.

• PC with ASUS Z170-P motherboard, no graphics card, but the built-in graphics is (probably) nvidia; 2* identical new 2T hard disks

• First install of Windows 10 on sda on a 100G partition (GPT) on the PC I built from new components

• with SystemRescueCD sdb given a 1st partition in size equal to the total of W10 partitions (W10 created some extra partitions, including the EFI partition)

• with SystemRescueCD on both sda and sda I made a 500G GPT partion with RAID-1

• with SystemRescueCD I created a single Logical Volume group and created several logical volumes for the installation of LEAP

• Installation from DVD of LEAP, with 4 encrypted volumes (swap, var, tmp, home) and everything seemed to be working, both W10 and LEAP

• then I realised the sluggish behaviour and subsequent freezing in KDE. I tried:

• setting OpenGlIsUnsafe=true in ~/.config/kwinrc

• installing the nvidia drivers from nvidia with zypper

• using my old 13.1 .kde4 settings
    but nothing did resolve the problem.
    With freezing I mean that at the end I have to do a hard switch off, nothing else works, A running gkrellm is static.

Using iceWM there are no problems and it is actually very fast. I could probably live with iceWM, however it does not remember setting when logging off and I cannot configure a task bar as under KDE and both are show stoppers.

There are no problems in the boot.log and I cannot find /var/log/messages any more, nor any other file which would contain such messages. Where are they? So I cannot see if there are any other problems. The PC will not be used for gaming, just administration, technical drawings, etc. Would installing a separate cheap video card be an option? And if so, which one?

Any more suggestions?

You should doublecheck your system technical specs.

If you’re using integrated graphics, the Z170 chipset is an Intel product, and is likely an Intel HD Graphics processor.

This would mean that any attempts to install a custom graphics driver would be a bad move, the Intel drivers that are distributed and automatically installed by the mainline Linux kernel are likely the best available.

You’ll likely be able to identify your GPU hardware by running the following in a root console

lspci -vv | grep VGA

If the result describes an “i915” that is the designation for Intel hardware. If this is the case, uninstall everything you’ve installed that relates to nVidia and reboot.

IceWM is likely very fast because it’s running the VESA driver from your BIOS loaded by GRUB, and hasn’t tried to load a “better” video driver which in your case might be incorrect.

TSU

Intel is having a severe problem with the graphics.

Install what ever is the most recent Nvidia card and install openSUSE Prime.
You will then install an Nvidia driver. Prime has great scripts allowing you
to switch from Intel to Nvidia and vice-versa.

In the long run - if I were you I would look for a Xeon Skylake CPU without an iGPU.

This will allow you to install a newer Nvidia card that doesn’t have to switch back 'n forth with the Intel iGPU.

Way better performance!