Slowroll Update Error

I was away from the system for a few minutes. Once logged back in, there was a notification of an Update Error:

updateerror

When I ran zypper dup, it also displayed the error below, it wanted to upgrade eight and downgrade 148 packages - including the kernel, so I selected ‘n’ and exited. Did it attempt to check for updates when it shouldn’t have, or was something on the other end updating at the same time?

Repository 'update' is invalid.
[update|http://cdn.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/ALP:/Experimental:/Slowroll/standard/] Valid metadata n
ot found at specified URL
History:
- File './repodata/d3519ca9fd32c004d5c3aea5be9a419e4367b2427540c7f8675cf43f502b2e2f83b37d2874a0049d31fd7eb877
265cfeb37cd858b0fe68e80b68069feb1650d8-primary.xml.gz' not found on medium 'http://cdn.opensuse.org/repositori
es/openSUSE:/ALP:/Experimental:/Slowroll/standard/'
- Can't provide ./repodata/d3519ca9fd32c004d5c3aea5be9a419e4367b2427540c7f8675cf43f502b2e2f83b37d2874a0049d31
fd7eb877265cfeb37cd858b0fe68e80b68069feb1650d8-primary.xml.gz
sudo zypper clean --all
sudo zypper ref
sudo zypper dup

Still comes up invalid:

All repositories have been cleaned up.
:~> sudo zypper ref
Retrieving repository 'base-non-oss' metadata ..........................................................[done]
Building repository 'base-non-oss' cache ...............................................................[done]
Retrieving repository 'base-oss' metadata ..............................................................[done]
Building repository 'base-oss' cache ...................................................................[done]
Retrieving repository 'h264' metadata ..................................................................[done]
Building repository 'h264' cache .......................................................................[done]
Retrieving repository 'packman' metadata ...............................................................[done]
Building repository 'packman' cache ....................................................................[done]
Retrieving repository 'update' metadata ...............................................................[error]
[update|http://cdn.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/ALP:/Experimental:/Slowroll/standard/] Valid metadata n
ot found at specified URL
History:
- File './repodata/dbe492603a61006d0719ea402d718f5e4b123180f5d532b1dff763c7d4c0c0a08c3e5a94deed47d263a35f3ec3
65916b4acbfa0777072297495f84a0224aaf11-filelists-ext.xml.gz' not found on medium 'http://cdn.opensuse.org/repo
sitories/openSUSE:/ALP:/Experimental:/Slowroll/standard/'
- Can't provide ./repodata/dbe492603a61006d0719ea402d718f5e4b123180f5d532b1dff763c7d4c0c0a08c3e5a94deed47d263
a35f3ec365916b4acbfa0777072297495f84a0224aaf11-filelists-ext.xml.gz

Please check if the URIs defined for this repository are pointing to a valid repository.
Skipping repository 'update' because of the above error.

First it was the primary.xml.gz and now the filelists-ext.xml.gz
It seems that your mirror is synchronizing atm and not finished yet. That means wait some time (hours), repeat the steps and retry.

Thanks. I will wait and try it again.

I don’t manually run updates, I let Tumbleweed and Slowroll prompt when there are any. It prompts using both versions, usually every other day.

The updater ran again, this time the notification displayed there are 156 new updates, no error.

Ran the three zypper commands, they went through fine, no errors. 156 to be upgraded, plus one new.

I ran into that problem yesterday.

So I tried “zypper refresh” at a root command line. Same problem.

I waited a while, then tried another refresh and all was well.

It seems to be okay today.

1 Like

i think u can disable the packagekit,just use sudo zypper dup
type this: sudo systemctl stop packagekit
and then: sudo zypper dup

This is completeley unrelated and not relevant for the topic.

1 Like

I changed the Slowroll repos yesterday to the new URLs and an upgrade went through fine. But today, KDE is displaying an ‘Update Error - Signature verification for Reposutory update failed’.

slowrollupdateerror

sudo zypper dup is displaying the following, but I went no further. As was the case with my original post above, zypper wants to downgrade numerous packages.

Is this the same (mirror updating), or a different, issue?

Thanks in advance.

Signature verification failed for file 'repomd.xml' from repository 'update'.

Note: Signing data enables the recipient to verify that no modifications occurred after the data
    were signed. Accepting data with no, wrong or unknown signature can lead to a corrupted system
    and in extreme cases even to a system compromise.

Note: File 'repomd.xml' is the repositories master index file. It ensures the integrity of the
    whole repo.

Warning: This file was modified after it has been signed. This may have been a malicious change,
    so it might not be trustworthy anymore! You should not continue unless you know it's safe.

Note: This might be a transient issue if the server is in the midst of receiving new data. The
    data file and its signature are two files which must fit together. In case the request hit the
    server in the midst of updating them, the signature verification might fail. After a few
    minutes, when the server has updated its data, it should work again.

Signature verification failed for file 'repomd.xml' from repository 'update'. Continue? [yes/no] (no):

[update|http://cdn.opensuse.org/update/slowroll/repo/oss/] Valid metadata not found at specified URL
History:
 - Signature verification failed for repomd.xml
 - Can't provide /repodata/repomd.xml

Try running:

zypper refresh

from a root command line. When I did that, it asked me to approve a new gpg key for repo signing. And everything is working fine with that new key.

No change.

~ # zypper refresh
Repository 'base-non-oss' is up to date.                                                                      
Repository 'base-oss' is up to date.                                                                          
Repository 'h264' is up to date.                                                                              
Repository 'packman' is up to date.                                                                           
Signature verification failed for file 'repomd.xml' from repository 'update'.

Note: Signing data enables the recipient to verify that no modifications occurred after the data
    were signed. Accepting data with no, wrong or unknown signature can lead to a corrupted system
    and in extreme cases even to a system compromise.

Note: File 'repomd.xml' is the repositories master index file. It ensures the integrity of the
    whole repo.

Warning: This file was modified after it has been signed. This may have been a malicious change,
    so it might not be trustworthy anymore! You should not continue unless you know it's safe.

Note: This might be a transient issue if the server is in the midst of receiving new data. The
    data file and its signature are two files which must fit together. In case the request hit the
    server in the midst of updating them, the signature verification might fail. After a few
    minutes, when the server has updated its data, it should work again.

Signature verification failed for file 'repomd.xml' from repository 'update'. Continue? [yes/no] (no): y
Retrieving repository 'update' metadata ...............................................................[error]
[update|http://cdn.opensuse.org/update/slowroll/repo/oss/] Valid metadata not found at specified URL
History:
 - File './repodata/102cb102fce812e398abe993f1668457f4d29233387c8f533a4df389523ba2e07be553dbcf944355dc95f894462fb7144706bc18ea319eca07f348cda1bcacdd-filelists-ext.xml.gz' not found on medium 'http://cdn.opensuse.org/update/slowroll/repo/oss/'
 - Can't provide ./repodata/102cb102fce812e398abe993f1668457f4d29233387c8f533a4df389523ba2e07be553dbcf944355dc95f894462fb7144706bc18ea319eca07f348cda1bcacdd-filelists-ext.xml.gz

Please check if the URIs defined for this repository are pointing to a valid repository.
Skipping repository 'update' because of the above error.

You may have been redirected to a mirror that is not yet fully up-to-date. Wait a while, and then try again.

I dup’d a Slowroll about 3 hours ago and allowed the downgrades. I got no error messages, and it still boots and works as expected. :slight_smile:

It wanted to downgrade ~300 packages.

I booted it just now and the updater reported no errors. 18 packages to upgrade and 5 to downgrade. I think @nrickert was correct that the mirror I was reaching, wasn’t fully up-to-date yet, which was the issue in my original post from last month.

Thanks again for the replies.

I had slow and interrupted downloads running “zypper dup” as well. Changing the URLs in the *.repo files from the relocator cdn.opensuse.org to a mirror close to your location can be the solution.
https://mirrors.opensuse.org/ has a list sorted by geographical regions.
Arch Linux - Mirror Status is a nice tool a find a fast and reliable one.

Since the last report, I’ve had no issues updating Slowroll.