Slow boot: 33s waiting for wicked interfaces to start

A few days ago I ran a system update through ‘zypper up’ and I noticed that systemd and wicked were updated.

Since then every time my system boots slowly because of this:

A start job is running for wicked managed network interfaces (33s / no limit)  OK  ]

I haven’t changed any network settings whatsoever.

Before the update my system used to boot in about 15 seconds and I never had to wait for anything like that. Now the boot is x3 slower which is quite annoying as I am using a dual boot.

What might be the problem/solution?

I’ve had the exact same problem since the last updates. Boot time has increased by a consistent 24-25 seconds:

/var/log/boot.log
A start job is running for wicked managed network interfaces (13s / no limit)
A start job is running for wicked managed network interfaces (37s / no limit)

I’ve disabled all of the following with no effect:

systemctl disable NetworkManager-dispatcher.service
systemctl disable YaST2-Second-Stage.service
systemctl disable wickedd-dhcp6.service
systemctl disable iscsi.service
systemctl disable iscsid.socket
systemctl disable avahi-daemon.service
systemctl disable avahi-daemon.socket

I also put the following in /etc/wicked/nanny-local.xml but it didn’t help:

<config>

<!-- nanny>
    <disable class="modem"/>
    <disable link-layer="wireless" />
  </nanny -->
</config>

So it’s not only me.

Hopefully someone can help. I don’t know if this is a bug to be reported.

I have also noted slowing boot times with 42.1.

The top-10 from

systemd-analyze blame

are

38.843s ModemManager.service
38.671s avahi-daemon.service
38.597s SuSEfirewall2_init.service
18.163s wicked.service
8.242s hddtemp.service
3.232s systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
3.076s dev-sda2.device
2.012s plymouth-read-write.service
1.860s vboxdrv.service
1.523s home.mount

I don’t know what “ModemManager.service” is or why I need it. I don’t have any mobile phone or modem connected to my computer.

For comparison sake, I am running a desktop with an i7-4790K CPU and HDD storage.

With all the services listed in my first post disabled (don’t want or need for my desktop), wicked sticks out like a sore thumb in my top 4:

systemd-analyze blame

30.105s wicked.service
          3.310s dev-sda8.device
          1.057s systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
          1.026s systemd-journald.service

Hi,

Mine too is extremely slow. I noticed this since updating to Leap 42.1 but I see there is another troublesome one in my list:

31.290s ntpd.service
         29.955s wicked.service
          4.068s mysql.service
          3.607s dev-sda2.device
          2.321s apache2.service
          2.042s fglrxrebuild.service
           789ms apparmor.service

While we figure out why wicked is so slow… Is ntpd really needed? Can I simply uninstall it or disable it somehow?

Thanks!

ntpd is what connects to the time server it is probably waiting on wicked to connect. Perhaps try NetworkManager

I understand the logic of this but the stronger logic is: it has always worked with wicked so far without any problem. So it makes no sense for one to reconfigure the system and switch software just because of an update.

BTW I have reported this to bugzilla:

https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=972471

Wicked has never worked here I use NM. If you set NM to allow all users it is loaded at boot also

Hi,

What is the difference between those two? Intuitively it sounds like Network Manager is much broader.
Does it replace just wicked? Or other services too? Would NTPD will be needed?

Thanks!

If you want to sync your clock with time sources yes it is needed

NM is more or less for WIFI but works just fine with hardware also. If you move be sure to set NM for all users in it’s configure screen. You will find in teh widget that appears when using

Interesting. I would have imagined NTPD would be for others to sync with my clock but something like an NTP Client would be needed instead to sync my clock.

Ah, OK. My computer doesn’t have WiFi, only Gigabit Ethernet, so it seems like it’s just slowing down my boot for no reason.

Also, taking the other answers combined, I have the impression that NTPD is only slow because of wicked, so if that gets replaced, it would suddenly take less time, right?

Thanks again,

NM is generally used for those who need to change networks frequently (eg a laptop being used in work, travel, and home environments). It provides a graphical front-end to make changes convenient, although it has CLI utilities as well. Wicked the other option (more suited to a static network environment) and is configured via YaST (or direct editing if the config files) with root privileges required.

I was really looking for a way to fix wicked as my environment is static network. Not sure why this topic went in another direction :slight_smile:

Yes, well the bug report should help with getting this regression fixed.

Not sure why this topic went in another direction :slight_smile:

Because someone thought using NM might get around the regression for now perhaps? (I’m not using wicked so not impacted.)

Thanks :slight_smile: I will wait for the bug report to be processed then.

That was me asking why we need wicked at all :slight_smile:

It’s causing my system to boot slowly, and honestly, I didn’t notice it doing anything more than what Network Manager was doing before I upgraded to Leap 42.1.
I’ll actually try to switch to NM in the next few days. It it works and improves my boot times, it’ll be good enough for me. It’s for a server on a fixed IP over gigabit
ethernet, so doesn’t need anything special for networking.

Here are the versions that regressed from fast to slow booting on my system:

# 2016-02-03 11:44:53 wicked-0.6.28-3.1.x86_64.rpm installed ok
# 2016-03-15 07:58:15 wicked-0.6.30-6.1.x86_64.rpm installed ok

TBH I really don’t know what is the difference between the two. I have NM on my laptop (openSUSE 13.2 x32) because I have to switch between WiFi and static LAN. My desktop is with wicked which is the default when installing the OS.

What are the pros and cons of wicked compared to NM (apart from the issue discussed here and being able to switch between networks with NM)?

Well, NM provides a GUI front-end that let’s one know which network they’re connected to. It can handle VPN and mobile broadband connectivity as well. Other than that, both do essentially the same job of automating network connectivity.