Sleep kills WiFi adapter

I’ve got a new laptop. I installed OpenSUSE Tumbleweed on it. It’s network adapter is an “Intel Killer BE Wi-Fi 7 +Bluetooth”. The WiFi works fine, until the laptop sleeps. After the laptop goes into sleep mode, when it’s woken back up, the WiFi no longer works at all. The only way I’ve been able to restore it is rebooting.

I really don’t know how to troubleshoot it. But I grabbed the output from dmesg before and after, and from journalctrl -b | grep firmware before and after. The dmesg after has a ton of lines for the wifi adapter (iwlwifi) that look like they are "Error Log Dump"s. In the dmesg from when the wifi is not working, I removed the lines that were in the dmesg output before it put the laptop into sleep.

Here’s the dmesg before sleep: openSUSE Paste
Here’s the journalctl -b | grep firmware before sleep: openSUSE Paste

dmesg after sleep (pre-sleep lines removed): openSUSE Paste
journalctl after sleep: openSUSE Paste

I know the vpu firmware isn’t installed. I hope that’s not contributing to the problem, but it doesn’t make sense to me that it would be.

in dmesg, I see the line
Unable to change power state from D3cold to D0, device inaccessible
for the iwlwifi. If that’s the problem, what would I do about it?

Does anybody have any clues where I go from here?

What is shown following a resume?
rfkill list wifi
Soft blocked or hard blocked?

Could you share more details about your laptop (in case it’s a model specific issue)? That might help others advise further here.
inxi -Ma

rfkill list wifi says that it is neither soft blocked, nor hard blocked.

Machine:
Type: Laptop System: Micro-Star product: Stealth 16 AI Studio A1VHG
v: REV:1.0 serial: Chassis: type: 10
serial:
Mobo: Micro-Star model: MS-15F3 v: REV:1.0 serial:
part-nu: 15F3.1 uuid: UEFI: American Megatrends LLC.
v: E15F3IMS.105 date: 02/21/2024

iwlwifi 0000:2c:00.0: Unable to change power state from D3cold to D0, device inaccessible

This may be relevant to your situation?

Disabled “ACPI D3Cold Support” in BIOS menu, Wi-Fi module can work fine.

Ok, maybe this is Manjaro topic is applicable.

This laptop have a NVIDIA GPU. ¿Do you got the proprietary drivers installed? It may be a issue at power management. I got this issue before, enabling s0ix solved that. Try these modprobe options:

1 Like

I tried those solutions, but unfortunately, they did not work. I don’t have any power options in my BIOS at all.

I tried the thing listed on Manjaro, but that didn’t help. I tried a couple other things listed in that thread, but they didn’t help either.

As a test you could try unloading the iwlmvm and iwlwifi modules manually before suspending, then reload once resumed. If that works, it can be automated using a systemd-sleep script perhaps.

A similar thread:

Also refer
man systemd-sleep.conf

YMMV.

1 Like

Yeah. That worked. Your Google skill put mine to shame.

Thank you for your help!

Good to read that worked for you.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.