SLED 11 - Data recovery software

Hi guys! I am new to the Linux OS and I seem to understand nothing about it. Recently I sent my laptop for repair and my OS was changed from Windows 7 to SLED 11, which is the factory OS of my computer. All of my data was erased from the laptop (750 GB), so currently I am looking for a data recovery software.

Before anything, can anyone tell me if it is possible to recover any data, as an OS has been deleted and replaced with another one (I had 2 partitions on Win7 and they have been deleted)?

And if so, could you recommend me any software that I can use ON SLED 11 to recover my data or if I have an *.exe recovery software could I run it under Linux with a program called Wine? Would it do the work?

Please anyone who has any suggestions please say.

I will be very grateful if you help me recover my data.

These are the openSUSE forums, not the SLED/SLES forums. They are at: https://forums.suse.com/.

Hi and welcome to the forums! For future reference, the SUSE forums are located here.

It’s not very likely that the data survived since your hard drive would have been reformatted. Having made that disclaimer…if you still want to try, I would recommend running recovery software from a live disk such as Parted Magic–which has some excellent tools for managing partitions, recovery, etc.

More information can be found here along with a list of included software here.

Cheers, and good luck!

On 2013-08-07 18:36, iseikov wrote:
>
> Hi guys! I am new to the Linux OS and I seem to understand nothing about
> it. Recently I sent my laptop for repair and my OS was changed from
> Windows 7 to SLED 11, which is the factory OS of my computer. All of my
> data was erased from the laptop (750 GB), so currently I am looking for
> a data recovery software.

Good grief!

Did they not tell you that they would likely do that operation? Many
repair shops warn upfront that they will format and erase everything to
factory conditions - unless you hire them specifically to recover lost data.

> Before anything, can anyone tell me if it is possible to recover any
> data, as an OS has been deleted and replaced with another one (I had 2
> partitions on Win7 and they have been deleted)?

3 methods, in order of success probability:

· Recover from your backup. Every computer should have a backup. If you
did not, now you know why.

· Take it to a professional recovery shop. They charge a lot.

· Use recovery software, like photorec or disksomething (forgot the
name, but on the same package). More chances with Windows paid software.

NO, don’t install anything on that computer. Do not ever power it up.
All the time Linux (or anything in that disk) is running, it is
destroying your data even more. You have to remove the disk and connect
to a working computer, or run from an external disk.

(Even though the OP has now SLES, this is not really an SLES question,
and the thread has not yet being formally closed, AFAIK).

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

When I received the computer Linux wanted me to “complete” the installation by accepting their terms and conditions and make some other settings before I can use it fully. Unfortunately, I did it (twice) which means I have lost something. However, I have this thing on my computer before I load any OS called HP recovery (my laptop is HP Probook 4530s for reference). I did it once and it restored all the settings I made the first time. It is restoring 214 010 files, could that possibly recover what was previously there before these settings were made? (I hope this is clear enough)

@robin_listas: No, they did not inform me that they will delete my data. HP told me that is the repair center normal policy - delete everything if they THINK there is an issue with the OS (there was no issue, just to be clear). However what’s done is done, they will suffer their consequences for what they have done. I don’t believe they will do anything to restore my data, although I am doing everything possible to get them do that.

Until then I want to recover whatever possible from my hard drive.

Thanks for responding with solutions on such a short basis anyway. :wink:

Well first of all assuming you still have the original drive and they didn’t just swapped a new drive for the old, A great amount of space was over written with the OS install which you exacerbated by writing more stuff and reinstall the OS again. It is possible that there may be some scraps of files hanging around but at best it will be a major project to recover what little there may be left. In the future remember the three rules of computing

1. backup
  2. backup
  3. backup

On 2013-08-07 21:26, iseikov wrote:
>
> However, I have this thing on my
> computer before I load any OS called HP recovery (my laptop is HP
> Probook 4530s for reference). I did it once and it restored all the
> settings I made the first time. It is restoring 214 010 files, could
> that possibly recover what was previously there before these settings
> were made? (I hope this is clear enough)

The first rule of data recovery (aside from backups) is DO NOT USE THE
DISK AT ALL. Any operation is done on an image. If it has to be done on
the real thing, you create an image first to be able to undo a failed
recovery operation.

If the process you are doing works, fine - but if it doesn’t, you are
worse than before.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

Don’t worry all your data can be recovered quickly and easily. You can use Kernel for Windows Data Recovery Software. It is fully capable or useful to recover lost data from hard drive, accidental file and folders, corrupted or damaged file, and any corruption issues. supported every version of Windows Server, Windows OS Vista/XP/2003/2000/98/95, Windows 8, 7, Windows and DOS. Get more info click here: Free Data Recovery Software For Deleted or Lost Data From Formatted Partition

I found this software on internet, behaving like a one man army tool, eligible to recover or repair data from any storage device. And the advantage of this software is that, this software comes available with free trial version, with the help of this trial version you are eligible to see the preview of recover data. You can download this software from here:

This tool recover almost everything from your storage device.

www.recoverydeletedfiles.com/
Use Free Version

FREE data recovery software can recover lost or deleted file, photo, video, document from hard disk, memory card, usb drive on Windows.