skipped services in runlevel 5 stops bootup

After the GRUB prompt, my boot process does not advance to the login GUI. It kicks me out to the console view of the boot process and ends with a text prompt for logging in.

I get the following message just before the “Welcome to OpenSUSE 11.1” line:

Skipped services in runlevel 5: nfs

Does anyone know what’s happening and how can I retrieve the login GUI?

did you try logging in anyway from the text, if so, what happened to it?

Everything works just fine logging in from the console, but it’s inconvenient because when I log out or restart, I’m taken back to the login prompt at the console. There I have to go through extra steps to finally reboot: I have to log in as root and issue the “reboot” command (again, as it were).

how about making your power button reboot your system when you press it.

The nfs client wasn’t started. You won’t be able to mount filesystems from another computer. If you don’t need that, don’t bother. However other services needed for GUI login might not have been started either. What happens if you switch to runlevel 5? Please log in and type :
**sudo init 5 **

I turned off the nfs service in Yast:System:System Services (Runlevel) and then rebooted. The console still came up but at least the console showed no failed services in Runlevel 5. I decided to look in /var/log/messages and found this:

Dec 3 23:08:34 rigel kdm_config[3398]: Multiple occurrences of key ‘UseTheme’ in section [X-*-Greeter] of /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc
Dec 3 23:08:34 rigel kdm[3397]: XDMCP socket creation failed, errno 97
Dec 3 23:08:34 rigel kdm[3444]: X server “-lines” cannot be executed
Dec 3 23:08:34 rigel kdm[3397]: X server for display :0 cannot be started, session disabled

The first line didn’t make sense because there was just one declaration for UseTheme in kdmrc, but I commented it out anyway.

The second line is, apparently, a nuisance message according to one website I visited.

Googling the third line led me to a forum OpenSuse 11.1 + KDE4 + nvidia = no kdm or x; KDE Community Forums that contained a solution at the very bottom, which was to change the value of one parameter in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager:

DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER=“xgl”

to

DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER=“Xorg”

It was not necessary to follow other advice in the same forum, such as to change the ServerAttempts or ServerTimeout parameters in /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc.

Sorry for digging this one out of the archives, but I just had the same problem. I solved it using a clue from fogelfish’s last message, but in a different way.
The problem came up after installing a bunch of patches, one of which required a reboot. After reading the last message in this thread I guessed that a patch updated the kernel. Since I’m using the Nvidia driver, which requires a recompile of the kernel to install, the patch would have removed the Nvidia driver. To fix the problem, all I had to do was reinstall the driver. Now it boots all the way to runlevel 6 and brings up the kde desktop.

Hope that helps someone.

Thom