Size for /boot ?

The openSUSE 11.1 installer (update installation mode) warn me that my /boot partition is too small (53Mb) and that at least 64Mb are recommended. I won’t be able to re-size that partition without re-partitioning the whole disk (and so, I would need to do a new installation and reconfigure everything; something I wish to avoid).

On my current 11.0 installation, only 25% of the available space for /boot is used (13Mb).

Could I try to update anyway with my 53Mb partition ?
What is the size used (average) on YOUR 11.1 /boot ?

Well, you could likely get away with the size you have now. The kernel is a handful of megs as well as the config files. The only warning I would have is that you can’t have multiple kernels sitting there, as some may do. Id keep it sparse and limit it to 2 or 3 kernels max (some like to experiment, etc).

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

My SLED 11 box is taking 14 MB, but is it really a big deal to give it
eleven more megabytes? It’s pretty much nothing compared to the likely
size of your hard drive. Anyway you’re probably fine but better to be
safe than sorry.

Good luck.

AmigaPhil wrote:
> The openSUSE 11.1 installer (update installation mode) warn me that my
> /boot partition is too small (53Mb) and that at least 64Mb are
> recommended. I won’t be able to re-size that partition without
> re-partitioning the whole disk (and so, I would need to do a new
> installation and reconfigure everything; something I wish to avoid).
>
> On my current 11.0 installation, only 25% of the available space for
> /boot is used (13Mb).
>
> Could I try to update anyway with my 53Mb partition ?
> What is the size used (average) on YOUR 11.1 /boot ?
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
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=lj9+
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Typcial space needed is (openSUSE 11.1 x86_64):

grub/ around 200K

message around 400K

For every kernel installed add:

vmlinuz-<version> around 2.5MB

initrd-<version> around 6-7MB

config-<version> around 900K

System map-<version> around 1.5 MB

symsets-<version>-flavor.gz around 140K

symtypes-<version>-flavor.gz around 400K

symvers-<version>-flavor.gz around 120K

vmlinux-<version>.gz around 3MB

I only have one kernel in it since I installed 11.0 last year (I don’t plan to install/experiment other kernel for now). Probably I’ll have 2 after updating to 11.1 (?)

But that make me think of another question…
When an (auto) kernel update occurs (like for security reasons), is the newer one ADDED to /boot or does it replace the currently used one ?

Did you make any kernel updates with YaST online update?

If yes, you know the answer already.

I only have one kernel in it since I installed 11.0 last year

It’s not I don’t want to make it bigger, it’s because I don’t have any spare spaces after that partition. Next cylinder is starting the partition used for / .

Thanks !
I think I’ll try with my current 53Mb partition.

No. But I think I remember PackageKit did it at least once already (security update).
(If so, yes, I have the answer :wink: )

Most computers and disks these days don’t need a separate /boot and it can be merged into /. Cases that need /boot are old BIOSes that can’t handle booting off files beyond a certain limit, this used to be 528MB in the distant past, then 10 or so years ago it was raised to 138GB. Also some SCSI setups, and RAID setups, e.g. / is RAID5. If the installer didn’t suggest a separate /boot, there’s no need to create one. Or give it lots of space, 100MB on today’s disks is nothing.

LPI Linux Certification/Configure Fundamental BIOS Settings - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks

Yes, the installer also suggested, as an alternative, to not keep /boot as a separated partition. However, I like to have it separated because I still suffer craches (from times to times) that leave me no other choice than to reset the computer.
As /boot (still ext2) is independant, it does not have to pass the disk check/repair stage the other partitions (ext3/ReiserFs) might have to.
With Suse 9.3, I had a bad (long) time to fix a nasty crash that lead to an invalidated ReiserFs which could not be repaired by the Rescue Mode (after discovering what the bug was, I had to do the repair “by hands”).
With openSUSE 11.0, the system seems more stable (no FileSystem issue - or lost files - so far when I have to reset the computer).

With /boot being part of / (ext3 here), I think it exposes it more to a bad failure (not being able to boot anymore without a properly prepared boot floppy, or CD/DVD).

Then make /boot larger next time.

I haven’t had the problems that you relate with many computers but I suppose one can be unlucky with hardware.

I’ll do, with the next major update (12.x ?) :wink: .

Well, I guess my Linux computer - more than 10 years old (PIII Coppermine @ ~500 Mhz) - is like a grant-grant-father; I must admit I feel a bit old too sometimes (even still not yet father). :wink: