Shy openSUSE users

I think there must be a lot of shy openSUSE users out there. There are only 9,182 members on the forums compared to:

Fedora forums - 114,901 members
Ubuntu forums - 63,844 members
Mandriva forums - 52,779 members
PCLinuxOS forums - 21,377 members
Debian forums - 15,264 members

Considering openSUSE has been in the top 3 on DistroWatch for the past 12 months there should be a whole lot more people here than this!

Hi
This forum has only been running since June… that’s 9000+ in a little
over 2 months…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.11-0.1-default
up 6:33, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.09, 0.07
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 173.14.12

True, but that doesn’t mean 9000 new users have joined the forums, most of that number is made up of members of the 3 merged forums. I still think there’s a silent army of susers lurking in the shadows…

Ah, probably lots of those users of other distros are closet SUSE users. :slight_smile:

No, really, this forum is new and not everybody has discovered it yet. Give it time. Also I’m sure those other forums have many users who only posted a few times (got their question answered, or maybe not, and went away happy, or maybe not).

On 2008-08-25, Harlequin501 <Harlequin501@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
>
> malcolmlewis;1862193 Wrote:
>> Hi
>> This forum has only been running since June… that’s 9000+ in a little
>> over 2 months…
>
> True, but that doesn’t mean 9000 new users have joined the forums, most
> of that number is made up of members of the 3 merged forums. I still
> think there’s a silent army of susers lurking in the shadows…

Nonsense. The users of other distro’s need those forums to get things
working. In openSUSE, it’s all so obvious and stable wee just don’t need
forums. The 9000 of us that are here just to feed the Iguana’s.

Hanlon’s Razor:
Never attribute to malice that which is
adequately explained by stupidity.

A lot of the registered users on the lesser forums quoted by Harlequin have passed on.

Harlequin501 wrote:
> malcolmlewis;1862193 Wrote:
>> Hi
>> This forum has only been running since June… that’s 9000+ in a little
>> over 2 months…
>
> True, but that doesn’t mean 9000 new users have joined the forums, most
> of that number is made up of members of the 3 merged forums. I still
> think there’s a silent army of susers lurking in the shadows…
>
>
Actually not. Those are brand spanking new forum members as none of the
user names from the merged forums moved over. If they did we would have
had at least 40,000.

As for lurkers, there are a bunch as at any given time there are around
1,000 members surfing the forums.

Not as many suse users visit the forum to seek help. With Suse, everything just works, pretty much.

Yeah I feed geeko everyday, capture flies for her every night;)

It’s not the question of few users. There are so many fora for users to seek help. Take the thinkdigit forum of which I am a member. These are all country specific or language specific.

Couldn’t you write a cron job to do that and get some sleep? :slight_smile:

All these are old members, but the forum is still NEW.I was user of old suse forum. when they merge it, i try to use that ID, but it cant work.So i use the Novell one, which i create for Novell forum.
So the main theme here is: that this forum has still very few members, but remember they are more helpful than ubuntu(i use ubuntu and its forum). which have, i think large community.

Your statistic is wrong.

Fedora forums - 114,901 members
Ubuntu forums - 63,844 members

Ubuntu is at top:
Ubuntu : 650,678
fedora : 114,933**

I cant remember exactly the previous forum members figures, but i think it were around 40,000.if not mistaken.

So simple rule is:
openSUSE forum ROCKS… :good:

So simple rule is:
openSUSE forum ROCKS… :good:

Couldn’t argue with that! :slight_smile:

The 9000 of us that are here just to feed the Iguana’s.

Where are the Iguanas? Do they only reveal themselves to the chosen few forum users?

This forum rockss, yeah!! :smiley:

I found more help here than what I had to go through with 10.3! All that googling nearly killed me! It doesn’t matter how big an army is! Its all about the firepower baby! yeahhh :wink:

I have used all of the other distros and opensuse was the one I liked the most, it had the best hardware compatibility for me… and it just looks great and runs fine! 11 is actually a massive change from 10.3, I think its really heading somewhere now!

go opensuse! rotfl!

I haven’t tried 11. 10.x was my last OpenSUSE. Is 11 a little bit leaner by default? I’m not the power user I once was (read: linux noob), and I’ve found the Ubuntu runs best in my VM (512MB RAM). Is it worth giving OpenSUSE a shot here?

I use VirtualBox on top of XP. I do all my personal computing in Ubuntu at this point, after a Fedora/OpenSUSE/Ubuntu bake-off. I always have Evolution (with 15 e-mail accounts), FireFox 3, and Pidgin running. Those are the mainstays.

Hi, i’m just like you really, a linux noob :slight_smile:

When 10.3 first came out I was exploring all distros, None had a driver for my WLAN card, and only opensuse offered an easy, understandable way to use ndiswrapper…

I left it at that and when I installed 11 I found a massive improvement… I used KDE and they had the driver for my WLAN card… It never crashed like 10.3, compiz works without freezing or anything… I found it much better… But its different for every set of hardware…

KDE4 was acting bad for me but the improvements in compatilbility were not… KDE4 made everything laggy, slow and weird and I didn’t like it so I re-installed onto GNOME the other night and its PERFECT! :smiley:

I’m very happy with it…

I would give it a shot on another hard-drive or something, dual boot with ubuntu… lol

But wait for some more advice from other users as i’m no expert… I wouldn’t want you too loose something your actually happy with at the moment…

richyf89, thanks for your input. Don’t worry, I won’t lose anything. I’ll give it a shot. I’m not using Gnome or KDE anymore, I’ve switched to LXDE. It’s a bit buggy, rough around the edges, but smokin’ fast, I love it. So I may try out Gnome/OpenSUSE, and then see if it’s super-easy to try out LXDE. I used to use OpenSUSE a lot. I did all of my initial Xen testing with it, so I’m surely not opposed to taking a look at 11. Really, I didn’t even know 11 was out. :slight_smile:

If I might add, it also reflects the user friendliness

I didn’t really follow. :slight_smile: What reflects the user friendliness of what?

The susers are very resourceful, those 40,000 strong members who haven’t registered yet if in any case have some issues had found the answers by searching the new forum and the archive before they could decide to re-register to post their issues. They are reserving their names for the best contributions.lol!:shake: