Shuttle Pro V2 Multimedia Controller for controlling Kdenlive and or Cinelerra-CV

How do I turn a Git project into an OpenSUSE Leap 42.1 and 42.2 repositories to zypper in the hardware drivers necessary to operate a Shuttle Pro V2 multimedia controller to make video editing easier than utilizing just a mouse? I made the move from MS Windows to Linux a couple of years back but this one application keeps pulling me back to Windows.

The Git Project that supposedly has the Linux code for the Shuttle Pro V2 can be found at the following link. I have no idea if this code is good or not.

https://github.com/Shamanon/ShuttlePRO

Alternatively, if Kdenlive or Cinelerra-CV would add the Shuttle Pro V2 multimedia controller to their perspective application code.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ok, I finally found a way to get my Contour Shuttle Pro V2 to work with openSUSE Leap 42.1 and Kdenlive. I found a solution at Kdenlive’s help & KDE forum. There are a few posts there that will get you going. However to save time I have included the two sets of instructions below for your convenience.

I first tried the following from Kdenlive’s Menu Settings
JOG SHUTTLE

Configure a connected Jog-Shuttle device. Contour ShuttlePro and Contour ShuttleXpress are known to work.
Ensure that your Jog-Shuttle device is connected via USB and working. An udev rule is necessary to correct the access rights to the device file: Create a file /etc/udev/rules.d/90-contour-shuttleXpress.rules with the line:
SUBSYSTEMS==“usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“0b33”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“0020”, MODE="0444"for Contour ShuttleXpress or
SUBSYSTEMS==“usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“0b33”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“0030”, MODE="0444"for Contour ShuttlePRO V2. Obtain the device file by a command
fgrep Contour -A4 /proc/bus/input/devicesThe last line of the output says
H: Handlers=mouse0 event3
which should tell the device file to be entered into kdenlive’s setting dialog: In the text field enter /dev/input/event3 (use the last word on the line above to specify the device file in /dev/input), set the buttons and apply the changes.

Upon doing this it still did not work for so I proceeded to the next set of instruction below.

KDE Forum

This one from User asilnevs helped me to actually get it to work on my system. Here is the corrected excerpt.

sudo groupadd -f input
sudo gpasswd -a your_user/login_name_here input
sudo vim /etc/udev/rules.d/99-input.rules
#and put the next text in it:
KERNEL==“event*”, NAME=“input/%k”, MODE:=“660”, GROUP=“input”
KERNEL==“js*”, NAME=“input/%k”, MODE:=“664”, GROUP=“input”
#Save this file and reboot the computer and the ShuttlePro v2 is available.

After I rebooted, I started Kdenlive and went to Settings → Configure Kdenlive → JogShuttle and refreshed the “Device name” which Contour Design ShuttlePro v2 device was then displayed. Customize your buttons and “Apply” then “OK”. You should be good to go. If not, restart Kdenlive. It worked for me.

Since I am utilizing the Shuttle Pro with my left hand I initially configured the buttons in the following manner.

Button 1: Go to Zone Start
2: Go to Zone End
3: Go to Clip Start
4: Go to Clip End
5: Set Zone In
6: Set Zone Out
7: Rewind 1 Frame
8: Forward 1 Frame
9: Razor Tool
10: Add Clip
11: Play Zone
12: Clip in Project Bin (note this is likely the first button I may change)
13: Pause
14: Add Transition To Selection
15: Rewind

The buttons are numbered from left to right and from top to bottom with the two black buttons being 14 & 15. There are images online that map the button numbers out. Happy video editing!