Sharing printer over the network with CUPS

I have a Samsung color laser printer on my openSUSE 11.3 box, printing locally works fine but when I set CUPS to share the printer over the local network my other system can see the printer but any time I try to access it, via CUPS on the remote system or just by trying to print something, the connection allways times out. Both systems are using CUPS 1.4.4 and on the remote system the printer automatically gets detected and added. I don’t know if it is a problem with CUPS or my setup because if I try to access the system with the printer via port 631 it timesout but I can ping the box, ssh works, and I can ping the system.

If your other system is Windows, it’s pretty simple to just enter the address of the machine with the printer into the address bar of a file browser window (I forget what it’s called, explorer something) and see if the printer is listed there. Do you have Samba running on the machine with the printer? There are options in /etc/samba/smb.conf that can help with printer sharing.
I have a Samsung laser (monochrome) printer here shared from a Linux box, but can’t print to it from the Windows 64bit machines because there are no drivers for it for those systems. The 32bit Windows laptops and all the Linux ones work fine though.

No my other system is Arch Linux, which is why I said both systems are running CUPS 1.4.4. I do have samba running but I have not checked to see if the printer is listed there or not, I have to figure out what is wrong with share from CUPS to CUPS first because my other system is in Arch more than it is in Windows.

Does it work when you turn off your Suse Firewall? If yes, then you may have to add cups to your allowed services.

Well turning off the firewall did the trick, but in the firewall configuration I don’t have in filtering anything in the Internal Zone just the External (from the YaST module the option that says “Protect firewall from Internal Zone” is unchecked) so why would that affect printing from the LAN? I know there was a lot of emails going around about not allowing CUPS on the EXT, and I do agree I don’t need to print from the Internet and I don’t want anyone wasting my toner and paper, but what about the internal zone how do I allow it?

You need to allow access to port 631, the cups server port, on your firewall.

Where in the Firewall do I need to add it? Note under /etc/sysconf -> Network -> Firewall -> SuSEFirewall2 I have FW_PROTECT_FROM_INT set to no so nothing should be blocked there I did set 631 in the FW_CONFIGURATIONs_INT but that didn’t solve it

You can add it with Yast. Firewall → allowed services. There you can select cups and press the “add” button. Alternatively you can add the port number in the “advanced” dialog box.

But that would add it to the External, I only need cups shared on the Internal network only, BTW “cups” is no longer listed in the Allowed Services options in the YaST Firewall option in 11.3. My Firewall should not be blocking anything on my Internal network but yet cups (and maybe other services) is being blocked.

Would the block statment in my iptabes ruleset be causing this:

Loki:/home/vendion # iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
target     prot opt source               destination         
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state ESTABLISHED 
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED 
input_ext  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
input_ext  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            limit: avg 3/min burst 5 LOG level warning tcp-options ip-options prefix `SFW2-IN-ILL-TARGET ' 
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere