Setup PDF as a new Printer target using Cups in openSUSE

This may be old hat to most and so I was not sure if it would warrant an article, but basically I was unaware that you could add in the ability to print to PDF files as a regular printer target. The ability to do this was pointed out in this blog at Planet openSUSE.

The complete article is located here by Han Wen Kam: My openSUSE 12 Journal - 7: Printing to PDF

He shows how to use 1-click install to find and install the cups-pdf package. But I could see that anyone whom has added in the Printing repository at YaST / Software / Software Repositories …

For openSUSE 12.2: "http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Printing/openSUSE_12.2/"

Can just search on cups-pdf in YaST / Software / Software Management and install your newly found package. Many of us with hplip problems have installed this repository. Once installed, you will find a new printer called CUPS-PDF. Some printer dialogs allow you to select the destination for your new pdf file while others may not. Mr. Kam points this out about the default printing folder …

1. One final customization, the default output directory for the PDF document you print is in /var/spool/cups-pdf/${USER}, where {$USER} is your username. For me, I edited the config file at /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf and under the “Path Settings” section, changed it to /home/han/Documents/Print-PDF/ so I can easily find the document from my Dolphin file browser.

Anyway I have followed his advise, installed cups-pdf from YaST and changed my default printing folder to my $HOME/Documents folder myself using the format specified above. If you don’t have a system file editor, have a look at this one that can do the trick:

SYSEdit - System File Editor - Version 1.50: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/sysedit-system-file-editor-version-1-00-60/

If this information on how to print to PDF files is new to you, why not let me know. If you knew about this when you were only a few hours old, I guess would like to hear about your miracle birth as well. lol!

Thank You,

Already known to me, but unnecessary as CUPS already allows you to print to file anyway.

I don’t know why i did not need ever needed to do this since openSUSE 11.0
Whenever i try to print i see print to pdf option at-least on GNOME versions :slight_smile: of openSUSE

Reminded me of this old thread.

On 2013-01-17 03:16, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:
> This may be old hat to most and so I was not sure if it would warrant an
> article, but basically I was unaware that you could add in the ability
> to print to PDF files as a regular printer target. The ability to do
> this was pointed out in this blog at Planet openSUSE.

I have always done without, because most print dialogs allow printing to
file, which traditionally meant “ps”, and currently also “pdf”. This
method allows doing it without dialog or command line. Another way to do
it - for example, print from a flash animation to pdf.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

This is nice because of the cups-pdf.conf file options that allow the default print to directory. This saves some time with hunting around to where you want to save the file. You just need to look up the default folder and then put it where you want at a later time.
Now, what would be really nice would be a way to have it send pdf directly to email.

Hijack Alert…
On other OS it was just a part of the invoices or estimating software that I use. Since coming to Linux the invoicing and estimating software does not seem to be up to this task on its own yet. Is there a simple solution to this that I am missing?

It seems to be possible
[all variants] [SOLVED] Change Print to PDF folder - Ubuntu Forums](http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=807888)
You can write a script to generate pdfs and the email them using mutt or something
Mailing Attachments from UNIX

You may post your programming doubts here
https://forums.opensuse.org/english/other-forums/development/programming-scripting/