Setting up NX Server in OpenSuse(XFCE) 12.2

Yes after adding that line in blue now the NXSERVER is started but the

the output of

find /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh -ls
133064 4 drwx------ 2 nx root 4096 Jan 15 00:03 /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh
133069 4 -rw------- 1 nx root 605 Jan 15 00:03 /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/server.id_dsa.pub.key
133071 4 -rw-r–r-- 1 nx root 407 Jan 15 00:03 /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/known_hosts
133065 4 -rw------- 1 nx root 668 Jan 15 00:03 /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/client.id_dsa.key
133070 4 -rw------- 1 nx root 672 Jan 15 00:03 /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/authorized_keys2

which is slightly different from your one.

I could not find authorized_key line.Is it OK and anything left to configure then let me know.Please don’t mind because I am completely new to linux.

Well … that line in blue didn’t fix the issue.

echo nxsetup --install $sshkeys

“echo” doesn’t fix anything. It just print whatever follows to standard output.
It looks like it worked that time, but it was not because you added that line. It simply worked as expected.

It’s OK. authorized_keys2 and authorized_keys are the same file. freenx-setup patches the sshd configuration, so that it will also check authorized_keys2. Actually another reason why people might think that FreeNX doesn’t work on openSUSE 12.2 - but that’s just because openssh has changed its default settings.

Anyway what you can do is copy authorized_keys2 into authorized_keys. It might not be required (because I patched sshd config) but it won’t hurt .

As root, do this:

# cd /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/
# cp authorized_keys2 authorized_keys
# chown nx authorized_keys

yes I have done it. and also I have installed nx-client in another machine from nomachine.com and and how to configure the nx-client.

When I try to connect to nxserver from nxclient it shows the nx service is not available or the nx access was disabled on host 192.168.1.3(nx server IP).

here are the details.

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 2924
NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command
NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files
NX> 285 Setting the preferred NX options
NX> 200 Connected to address: 192.168.1.3 on port: 22
NX> 211 The authenticity of host ‘192.168.1.3 (192.168.1.3)’ can’t be established.
RSA key fingerprint is fb:1c:a6:7f:9c:b5:0b:c9:37:58:24:dc:6b:b0:91:84.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?
Warning: Permanently added ‘192.168.1.3’ (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
NX> 204 Authentication failed.

How about reading my article again? The purpose of writing an article is actually to avoid having to repeat the same explanation in different threads.
There is not much to configure in the nx-client. You just need to import the client key but please, read the article, as freenx-setup automatically creates a configuration file for this server (which includes the client key). You just have to copy this file to the client.

Also be aware that anyone who wants to connect to your nx server needs ssh access (= login account) on this computer.

In nx-client you would select UNIX and CDE as client. “CDE” has been tweaked to start XFCE. Otherwise you can try XDM, which should start the default desktop (and not the session manager - this is a difference between FreeNX and NoMachine NX).

Ok I will read it once again and will get back to you.Can I send you a private message

Yeah … You know, I have tried to write a script which just works and it does … most of the time. The reason why I wrote such a script it that I already spent nights and nights fighting with FreeNX on several Linux distros.

The problem is that when you don’t get it to work the first time, then you forget to delete an old nx user (as it happened to you the first time) or an old key, or some directory or file permissions are wrong (not owned by the nx user). Once you have sorted all these problems, it will work.

Don’t you think the others won’t be pleased to read that you finally succeeded … or sorry if you failed again ?

May I ask you a question? What brings someone who’s completely new to linux to set up an use an NX server? Just curious.

Thanks a lot Its working now.I don’t know your name but I really owe you a lot.Thanks for the support you have given me as well as for your article.

Good. I don’t know why it didn’t work earlier. It is actually intended to work the first time you run it. Maybe you didn’t tell me everything you tried before. But anyway, I’m glad you got it work.

These are the steps to install freenx on your OPenSuse 12.2(xfce)

1. Add Please_Try_Again repository with this command

zypper ar -f Index of /repositories/home:/please_try_again/openSUSE_12.2 freenx

2. Install freenx

zypper in freenx

3. run freenx-setup.

and checked whether nxserver has been started or not

with this command nxserver --status.

If the server is running then install nx-client on another machine and copy the key from /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/ and import it in the client machine.

I am working as windows admin in an institute and we want to use nx technology for the remote sessions.

You should put commands inside [noparse]

[/noparse] and use [noparse][noparse]…[/noparse][/noparse] for URLs, such as repos, etc:

zypper ar -f [noparse][noparse]http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/please_try_again/openSUSE_12.2/[/noparse][/noparse] 
      => zypper ar -f [noparse]http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/please_try_again/openSUSE_12.2/[/noparse]

Does it work with ‘freenx’ in lowercase? My package is actually called “FreeNX”. But it looks like it works. I didn’t know that.

# zypper info **freenx**

Information for package freenx:

Repository: PTA
Name: **FreeNX**
Version: 0.7.3-106.1
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: obs://build.opensuse.org/home:please_try_again
Installed: Yes
Installed Size: 471.2 KiB
Summary: FreeNX Application and Thin Client Server
Description: 
FreeNX application and thin client server based on NX technology
NoMachine. NX is the next-generation X compression and roundtrip
suppression scheme. It can operate remote X11 sessions over 56k modem
dial-up links or anything better. This package contains a free (GPL)
implementation of the nxserver component.

Learned something today. :\

> I am working as windows admin in an institute and we want to use nx
> technology for the remote sessions.

does the institute have no Linux Admins? i ask because so many places
wouldn’t think of trying to support their Windows networks without
properly trained and certified admins . . . until they want to save
money on license fees and boost reliability . . . and instead of hiring
a competent and trained Linux admin they expect their Windows admins to
figure it out with no training.

i wonder if they buy a corporate jet will they also hand their bus
driver the keys and expect . . .

dd