Setting up NTFS reads and writes for all users in 11.4 64bit

I have looked around for recent info on this subject and so far have found nothing at all.

I often use usb sticks to transfer stuff to a windoze laptop and am fed up with it trying to scan the device because it’s formatted for FAT. Of late it will do this automatically if the cancel button isn’t clicked soon enough. It also starts deleting files which really helps.

I assume that anything that works for usb sticks will also work for usb drives and windoze system disc partitions?

I will also need to know how to format these devices to ntfs under kde.

you will get a few different views
formatting thumb flash drives can??? shorten there life ( 1 day less to a year less ? something like that )
maybe maybe not , I do not yet know

open up yast and run "partitoner " with the usb drive pluged in

I will also need to know how to format these devices to ntfs under kde.

Gparted may do this for you, although I’ve never used it. However, I think most would agree that as this format is native to Windows, that OS should be used instead to create this format.

If you’re game you could try mkntfs (part of ntfsprogs package).

man mkntfs for more info.

I was assuming that ntfs read write wasn’t enabled in opensuse by default. In the past suse have gone to extreme lengths to disable it. Even compiling it out of the kernel.

So is it enabled by default and if not what do I need to do to enable it.

It should be using “ntfs-3g” to manage the ntfs file system, and that should default to allowing writes.

On 05/17/2011 06:36 AM, ajohnw wrote:
>
> I was assuming that ntfs read write wasn’t enabled in opensuse by
> default. In the past suse have gone to extreme lengths to disable it.
> Even compiling it out of the kernel.
>
> So is it enabled by default and if not what do I need to do to enable
> it.

It was being disabled because using the in-kernel NTFS driver to write files was
nearly 100% sure to destroy the file system. The reason was that the
reverse-engineering process was incomplete.

More recently, the ntfgs-3g driver has replaced that earlier one and it is much
less likely to cause problems, thus most people allow it to read and write.

@ajohnw - A helpful tutorial for you:

HowTo Mount NTFS Filesystem Partition Read Write Access in openSUSE

External (USB) NTFS partitions now automount with read-write access

OpenSUSE from version 11.1 inclusive: The openSUSE devs arranged for external (USB) NTFS partitions to automount read-write with permissions drwxrwxrwx beginning version 11.1. Prior to that the automount was read-only. See the next paragraph for earlier releases.

On 2011-05-17 11:06, ajohnw wrote:
> I often use usb sticks to transfer stuff to a windoze laptop and am fed
> up with it trying to scan the device because it’s formatted for FAT. Of
> late it will do this automatically if the cancel button isn’t clicked
> soon enough. It also starts deleting files which really helps.

Could you explain this again? Do you mean that windows always runs a
filesystem check on your FAT sticks? It doesn’t happen here. Nor does it
delete files.

There must be something wrong with your sticks.

Is the behavior different in 32 bits than in 64 bits? How?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Now it has scanned and deleted some files windoze accepts it without problem. The problem may be down to a rumoured fault with early 64bit file handling.

On life flash does have a limited write life. It can be hard to get solid info from manufacturers. In principle any writes format or otherwise can lead to failure.

On why it was compiled out all I can say is most distro’s had it enabled and when I resurrected it I didn’t have any problems at all. Also this difficulty occured about the time that codecs became more difficult to sort out.

Anyway back to my problem.

I’ve formatted the stick under windoze and plugged it in. It does auto detect but dolphin will not start. If I open up dolphin the stick is there but when I click on it I get the following error message

An error occured while accessing ‘1.9 GiB Removable Media’, the system responded
org.freedesktop.UDisks Error Failed : Requested filesystem type is neither well known
nor in /procfilesystems nor in etc/files/systems

Doh - where do I go from here?

It gets worse. There is an ntfs-config utility in the suse repo but it only works under hal and 11.4 uses Udisks. I don’t know when opensuse switched. All distro’s are getting rid of hal.

I also suspect that the tutorial mentioned is for hal as it uses /sbin ?

Well Udisks looks to be a lot easier than hal. Just add ntfs to /etc/filesystems. This leaves me wondering why udisks looks at 2 filesystems files.

I checked that the ntfs drivers were installed via yast. I don’t think running ntfs-config did anything that matters as it fails out.

I formatted the stick under windoze. Many come ntfs formatted these days. I copied 1.2gig of files back onto it using dolphin and both dolphin and windoze seem to be happy with it.