Setting up a network share

I have a server (192.168.1.200) which uses cifs. On windows it shows \Server\share1.

I need to know all the steps to getting my opensuse 11.3 box setup to see this share.

So following swerdna’s guide, i put the following line in fstab:

192.168.1.200/share1 /mnt/Documents cifs guest,_netdev,uid=client_user,gid=users 0 0

Does samba have to be setup ? In other words, do I have to add a share ? What would the entry look like?

Is there anything else that needs to be done?

Hi,

I am not an expert, but I am pretty sure that samba must be set up. Swerdna has an how-to on this if I recall.

Thanks Daax. I have been using swerdna’s howto, but I am not getting what I need. Being a network challenged person (I normally get a linux engineer to sort it out), I really want to learn how to set it up. I have got the network working and can get to files on an xp machine. Internet, mail and akregator are all working. That is why I gave details of the network places in my post.

In short You need samba-client package (I believe installed by default on openSUSE) to access a cifs server and You need samba package(not installed by default) to set up your linux as a cifs server. The later is harder IMHO but both are quite logical once You get the hang of them.

The easiest way for me to access a cifs file share is open up Konqueror and type smb://server/share in the address bar. After this You should get a prompt for domain\username and password if the share is password protected or it should just show the files if the file share is not password protected.

Another method of accessing a cifs file share is to mount it. This is done using the mount command for example to mount a share that resides on 192.168.1.200 that is accessible by user backup with password backup You would issue a command :

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.200/sharename -o username=backup,password=backup /mnt/sharename

/mnt/sharename is a directory I made up but it can be mounted anywhere You like on your system. Just be sure the directory exists. After this You can access the files from the share using Dolphin, Konqueror , MC or whichever file manager You like and the files are located in the dir You mounted them (in this example /mnt/sharename)

Hope this info will get You started. Be sure to read Swerdna’s guides as they are much more comprehensive and really easy to understand.

Best regards,
Greg

Thanks Greg, I will try it in the morning when I am back at the office. It’s starting to make more sense to me now.

On Mon February 21 2011 09:06 am, Alastairo wrote:

>
> I have a server (192.168.1.200) which uses cifs. On windows it shows
> \Server\share1.
>
> I need to know all the steps to getting my opensuse 11.3 box setup to
> see this share.
>
> So following swerdna’s guide, i put the following line in fstab:
>> 192.168.1.200/share1 /mnt/Documents cifs
>> guest,_netdev,uid=client_user,gid=users 0 0
>
> Does samba have to be setup ? In other words, do I have to add a share
> ? What would the entry look like?
>
> Is there anything else that needs to be done?
>
>
Alastairo;

You will need to setup the Global Section of /etc/samba/smb.conf. Try to
model on the first sections of this HowTo:
http://opensuse.swerdna.org/suselanprimer.html

Make sure to set Samba Client and Netbios Server are allowed services through
the fire wall. (The Netbios Server, nmbd, does name resolution for Windows
networks). I would also suggest allowing the Samba Server through the
Firewall. Finally, make sure that nmb(d) is started at boot and I’d also
suggest smb(d) be started.

P. V.
“We’re all in this together, I’m pulling for you.” Red Green

This is very true. Sorry for forgetting about this.

Best regards,
Greg