Setting up a home file/print server

I would like to build a server to act as a file/print server for my home. My wife, sister in law, and myself would use it. I would like it to be friendly to both windows and linux. My sister and I are both dual boot and for now my wife is windows only. Pretty soon though I plan on setting her up on linux as well. What would I need? And are there any “good” guides to setting something like this up?

I would like to use the system to:

• Store media / files
  • Maybe have KMyMoney on it and share with the wife
  • Hook a printer to and use as common printer

Our moderator swerdna has a home page with a lot of useful information: Samba and Suse: HowTo Set up an openSUSE-Windows Home Office LAN/Network. Versions 11.x

If you have/get a printer with integrated network interface, any Windows, Mac or Linux computer can use it directly. HP printers are particularly well supported. For Linux, the programm you’ll need is called “CUPS”. It is often already installed (with openSUSE definitely). Any Linux computer running CUPS can also become a printer server in lan (whether you printer is networked or not). When the printer is supported, the configuration through CUPS web interface ( http://localhost:631. ) is quite uncomplicated.