Set up direct ethernet connection between SuSE & OS X?

Hello all,

I recently installed OpenSuSE (lovin’ it!).

I hope this will be a quick question for all the gurus out there. Assume (correctly) that I know very little about Linux.

I have a huge store of files (about 100gb) on my MacBook Pro (running OS X Leopard 10.5) that I’d like to send over to my new Linux box (OpenSuSE 11.1). Going over my network via a Linksys router was just taking WAY too long. I’m sure I can directly connect the MBP with the Linux box via an crossover cable – but how? What do I need to set up on each machine?

If you someone can give me the specifics on what to set up in OpenSuSE, I can probably figure out the OS X end of it myself…

Many, many thanks to anyone that can help me out.

PS: The motherboard on my linux box is a MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI

Just give both machines a static IP address on the same subnet. E.g. 10.11.12.1 and 10.11.12.2.

I’m surprised that it’s slow over the router. If your router, like many others, has 4 Ethernet ports, that’s just like a 4 port switch.

Yeah I understood that much about it conceptually – just didn’t know how to go about it specifically in OpenSuSE.

I just popped open Yast, though, and wow is it intuitive. I got the whole thing up and running in no time.

Thanks for the reply!