Set the time for a download to commence.

Our Internet Service Provider has made provision for free downloads after 12pm. Data downloaded during the early hours of the morning is not recorded against my account.
This begs the question of the availability of tools to download at set times.Has anyone seen or heard of software to do this ? I had a look at kget but it does not seem to have this functionality.

cabernet wrote:

> Our Internet Service Provider has made provision for free downloads
> after 12pm. Data downloaded during the early hours of the morning is not
> recorded against my account.
> This begs the question of the availability of tools to download at set
> times.Has anyone seen or heard of software to do this ? I had a look at
> kget but it does not seem to have this functionality.

Just an idea :slight_smile:

You can use “cron” tasks to schedule any operation you need to perform at
any stipulated time.

Greetings


Camaleón

You may configure a cron job for this and you can use wget for downloading.
Again, it depends on what exactly you want to download. If it is a torrent, it can be better handled.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Or, since it’s something you want to start ‘at’ a specific time, try ‘at’:

at midnight
> wget http://yourfilehere

Press Ctrl+D to exit and save the job, Ctrl+C to just cancel out and not
save the job.

Good luck.

syampillai wrote:
> You may configure a cron job for this and you can use wget for
> downloading.
> Again, it depends on what exactly you want to download. If it is a
> torrent, it can be better handled.
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
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=0bcF
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

cabernet wrote:

>
> Our Internet Service Provider has made provision for free downloads
> after 12pm. Data downloaded during the early hours of the morning is not
> recorded against my account.
> This begs the question of the availability of tools to download at set
> times.Has anyone seen or heard of software to do this ? I had a look at
> kget but it does not seem to have this functionality.
>
>
ditto - my ISP gives unmetered access between midnight and 8:00 am.

I ended up writing a set of scripts to rsync local copies of update, kde and
Qt etc. running under cron during the ‘free’ period.

Alan

Thanks all. Had a look at the “at” command :slight_smile:

It looks like a simple means of doing the job of downloading after hours. It should work nicely with wget. I will give it a try.

NB it would be nice if someone was able to build this feature into kwget, as this is being pushed as major downloading tool for kde4.

On Thu, 28 May 2009 03:56:02 GMT, cabernet
<cabernet@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>NB it would be nice if someone was able to build this feature into
>kwget, as this is being pushed as major downloading tool for kde4.

Except that would be anathema to *nix way.