Serious Xorg Memory Leak KDE 4.2 OS 11.0

Hello,

I have 4 gigs of ram and xorg goobles up 70+% in a matter of an hour or so. I’m running a java app with lots of 2D graphics, firefox, pidgin, and one other java app. I recently upgraded to KDE 4.2 and got dual ATI firepro 3700 cards running 3 22" widescreens. The memory gets eaten until my java app crashes.

I’m using the fglrx driver as it seems the radeonhd one doesn’t recognize the firepro 3700.

Can one only have a single KDE4 version on the machine. I would like to be able to swtch back and forth between 4.1 and 4.2 in order to troubleshoot without all the downloading and installing in yast.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

This also is occurring in KDE 3.5. I think it may have to do with Xinerama, but not sure how I can figure it out. The hog from using xrestop is the java program, which is using jvm 1.5 and has windows on all 3 screens. Though it does never happend before I added a third screen.

Thanks again.

Hello,

The solution proposed in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/186354 worked for me: disable xinerama.

On ubuntu 9.04 (using an Intel GMA chipset), I added this at the bottom of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and then had no more problem after restarting the X server:

Section “Serverflags”
Option “Xinerama” “false”
Endsection