Security updates won't install

I have followed the recent discussion in this forum concerning updates that don’t install, but as it veered in a different direction I thought I’d start a new thread.

I run SuSE 11.0 and the updater offers me various updates. All of them install except four security updates. As soon as I click on the updater triangle it starts updating but within a few seconds the triangle returns as if nothing happened.

I followed the advice and used zypper to clean and refresh my repositories. I did an “all packages” update through YaST software management. Lot’s of problems with KDE4 dependencies, but as I am using KDE 3,5 at the moment these are not critical.

However, the notorious four security updates still refuse to install. I don’t know what they are or how to get them to install.

Any advice will be welcome.

A quick update: the detailed information tells me that these four security updates relate to Firefox and SeaMonkey.

I think the versions I have installed are in fact newer than those with the bugs these updates fix, so how do I disable these updates from trying to install?

Try going to Yast - Software - Online Update

do the update patches show there?

Did you try installing them from here?

Just out of interest - let us see the output from a terminal of:

zypper lr

Thanks for the advice.

I have not used YaST online update before, but having quickly configured it, it only reports one of the patches:
mozilla-xulrunner181

I requested the installation of this patch, but after YaST installed it I still had the same four security updates to install. Even a repeat check of the online update under YaST appears to suggest that the same patch still needs installing.

The output of zypper lr is:

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh

—±------------------------------------------------------------------------------------±----------------------------------------------------±--------±-------
1 | Index of /distribution/11.0/repo/non-oss | Main Repository (NON-OSS) | Yes | Yes
2 | Index of /repositories/server:/php/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - PHP | Yes | Yes
3 | GNOME_Community | GNOME Community | Yes | Yes
4 | nVidia | nVidia | Yes | Yes
5 | 11.0 | videolan | Yes | Yes
6 | Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.0/ | VideoLan Repository | Yes | Yes
7 | openSUSE_Update | openSUSE Update | Yes | Yes
8 | Emulators | Emulators | Yes | Yes
9 | Codecs | Codecs | Yes | Yes
10 | openSUSE-11.0-Oss | openSUSE-11.0-Oss | Yes | No
11 | Index of /repositories/drivers:/webcam/openSUSE_11.0_Update | openSUSE BuildService - Drivers for webcams | Yes | Yes
12 | KDE3 | KDE3 | Yes | Yes
13 | Index of /distribution/11.0/repo/oss | Main Repository (OSS) | Yes | Yes
14 | Index of /repositories/Virtualization:/VirtualBox/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - Virtualization (VirtualBox) | Yes | Yes
15 | games | games | Yes | Yes
16 | KDE_Backports | KDE Backports | Yes | Yes
17 | Compiz | Compiz | Yes | Yes
18 | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Community/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Community | Yes | Yes
19 | KDE4 | KDE4 | No | Yes
20 | openSUSE-11.0-Non-Oss | openSUSE-11.0-Non-Oss | Yes | No
21 | openSUSE:11.0:NonFree | openSUSE:11.0:NonFree | Yes | Yes
22 | Open_Office | Open Office | Yes | Yes
23 | Index of /repositories/games/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - Games | Yes | Yes
24 | openSUSE-11.0-Updates | openSUSE-11.0-Updates | Yes | Yes
25 | Index of /repositories/server:/database/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - Database | Yes | Yes
26 | Firefox | Firefox | Yes | Yes
linux:~ #

seriously, you need to sort that repo list out.

you have too many for an inexperienced user, never mind the duplications.

there is a bug in zypper on suse 11.0 which causes some updates not to be installed. I have here two of them which are stuck for months now. The problem is known on bugzilla and there’s no known solution yet, except waiting for an update of libzypp itself which God knows when it will come

Thanks for the info - at least I’ll stop chasing shadows now :slight_smile:

As for the repository list, I followed advice on useful repositories that I found in someone’s blog (things to do after installing SuSE 11,0). I don’t claim to know that I need all of them, but for my education, what is the problem with duplications? If an update becomes available on more than one repository, wouldn’t it be installed just once?

Thanks again.