screensaver images in gnome

So I’ve been playing with the screensaver settings in my gnome 2.32.1 desktop in opensuse 11.4 and the default screensaver is gnome-screensaver. Many of the screensaver options have the ability to display pictures but for some reason they all show up with the red flame on a monitor image. So have done a ton of digging on the web and most of the solutions consisted of placing all my desired images in ~/Pictures folder. I did that but they still won’t show up in the screensaver.

Other suggestions was to use xscreensaver instead of gnome-screensaver so I downloaded it and ran xscreensaver-demo to configure. Under the advanced tab, there is a field for pictures location. So I put in /home/userid/Pictures and save. But the images still won’t show up.

So either I’m doing something wrong or there is a bug in gnome that affects both screensaver packages. Is it former (probable) or latter (possible)???

On 2011-05-27 21:36, jgosney wrote:
> So either I’m doing something wrong or there is a bug in gnome that
> affects both screensaver packages. Is it former (probable) or latter
> (possible)???

Permissions of that folder are correct?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Permissions of my ~/Pictures folder is set to 755.

I found it!!! After doing a lot of googling and following a link to a link to a link, I found this tidbit.

Go to your ~/.gconf/apps/gnome-screensaver directory. In there will be a single file: %gconf.xml. Within that file, about halfway down, is a line that says:

<stringvalue>screensavers-personal-slideshow</stringvalue>

Change that line to say

<stringvalue>screensavers-personal-slideshow --location=/home/userid/Pictures/</stringvalue> (where the path is obviously the path to your Pictures folder.

I tried this on two different OpenSuSE 11.4 machines and it worked on both.

However, note that this file is rewritten every time you change a setting on your gnome-screensaver so if you tweak the settings through the gui, you’ll need to re-edit this file.