Screen resolution stuck on Leap 15 VirtualBox guest

Hi,

I’m willing to use openSUSE Leap 15.0 under VirtualBox but it is for now not user friendly since the screen resolution is stuck to 640x480, here is my configuration:

[ul]
[li]Host:[/li][LIST]
[li]Windows 10 Enterprise[/li][li]VirtualBox version 6.1.0 r 135406 (last at this time) with extensions installed[/li][/ul]

[li]Guest:[/li][ul]
[li]openSUSE Leap 15.0[/li][li]Installed VirtualBox packages:[/li][LIST]
[li]virtualbox-guest-kmp-default[/li][li]virtualbox-guest-tools[/li][li]virtualbox-guest-x11[/li][li]virtualbox-kmp-default[/li][/ul]

[li]Virtual box guest additions installed from /run/media/<user>/VBox_GAs_6.1.0/autorun.sh[/li][li]Rebooted several times between new installation and tests from stuff found on the internet[/li][li]xrandr still gives only 640x480 as available resolution[/li][/LIST]
[/LIST]

Last thing I’ve seen is around vboxvideo.ko but I don’t know how to ensure it is loaded (tried with lsmod but no vboxvideo here) or to load it (I tried loading it with modprobe and insmod but both give me “ERROR: could not insert ‘vboxvideo’: Invalid argument” error).

Could anyone help me please ?

Thanks.

@antoinep:

With respect to the openSUSE Guest running on a Windows 10 host:

Once all that has been done, simply resizing the Window where the Guest is running with the Mouse, should function as expected and, the Window Size should remain as set between reboots.

Thanks for your answer @dcurtisfra, my answers inline above, but in any case I think the issue is not VirtualBox side but openSUSE side, a driver missing or not loaded so that virtual graphics card is properly recognized and, at least better resolutions are available, at best “Auto-resize Guest Display” option works properly.

Please post from openSUSE guest:

zypper se -si virtualbox

And openSUSE Leap 15.0 is out of support…

I’m guessing that what I highlighted in your post is your problem…
VBox just released 6.1 and I’m guessing that your VBox from the 15.0 repository is for 6.0, and exacerbated that it’s likely you didn’t successfully build your VBox modules (You probably didn’t notice the errors that likely happened. Look more closely at the output when you install the Guest Tools).

The following should likely resolve your problem…
First, uninstall all the VBox packages you listed.
Reboot.
Run the following in an elevated console to install the prerequisites for building and installing the Guest Additions from Oracle, assuming that you are using the standard, default kernel.

zypper in make kernel-default-devel kernel-devel

Now, you can install the Guest Additions from your Virtual CDROM, which is also the path you described.
You should then be able to reboot your Guest with working Guest Additions.
If it’s still not working, then you should repeat the above but after you uninstall your VBox packages you should also purge your system of all VBox application files (you can retain your VM files). Use either “Find” or my preference “locate” (from the mlocate package) to identify all VBox files which weren’t removed by uninstall before installing new files from your virtual CDROM.

The alternative is as Sauerland suggests…
Upgrade or build a new VM running 15.1 because 15.0 is no longer supported.
It’s likely that 15.1’s VBox packages should be updated for 6.1, but you can also install your Guest Additions from the virtual CDROM as I described for 15.0.

HTH,
TSU

Thanks for your answers,

@Sauerland:

Here is the result of the command:

S | Name | Type | Version | Arch | Repository
—±-----------------------------±--------±-----------------------------------------±-------±------------------------
i+ | virtualbox-guest-kmp-default | package | 6.0.10_k4.12.14_lp150.12.67-lp150.4.36.1 | x86_64 | Mirror_Leap15-update-oss
i+ | virtualbox-guest-kmp-default | package | 6.0.10_k4.12.14_lp150.12.67-lp150.4.36.1 | x86_64 | Mirror_Leap15-update-oss
i+ | virtualbox-guest-tools | package | 6.0.10-lp150.4.36.1 | x86_64 | Mirror_Leap15-update-oss
i+ | virtualbox-guest-tools | package | 6.0.10-lp150.4.36.1 | x86_64 | Mirror_Leap15-update-oss
i+ | virtualbox-guest-x11 | package | 6.0.12-lp150.4.39.1 | x86_64 | Mirror_Leap15-update-oss
i+ | virtualbox-guest-x11 | package | 6.0.12-lp150.4.39.1 | x86_64 | Mirror_Leap15-update-oss
i+ | virtualbox-kmp-default | package | 6.0.12_k4.12.14_lp150.12.70-lp150.4.39.1 | x86_64 | Mirror_Leap15-update-oss
i+ | virtualbox-kmp-default | package | 6.0.12_k4.12.14_lp150.12.70-lp150.4.39.1 | x86_64 | Mirror_Leap15-update-oss

And for the Leap 15.0 out of support, this is the OS we are using on a machine delivered to customers, then, changing OS has a high cost (it’s not like at home just to update and go on), but I understand, anyway, since we are still at R&D step, we may discuss going to Leap 15.1 before sending to production, we have to evaluate the cost, but first, if I cannot manage to have this working, I’ll try to install Leap 15.1 on VirtualBox and see if it works properly.

And by the way, thanks for this command line, I didn’t know (never searched for it) there was a command to list only installed packages (I was always doing zypper se -s <package> | egrep “^i” to do so).

@tsu2:

There is indeed some warnings or even information (I think since not actually presented as errors) when building VBox modules, here are the logs (with what I thinks is “odd” in bold):

Verifying archive integrity… All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 6.1.0 Guest Additions for Linux…
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 6.1.0 of VirtualBox Guest Additions…
Copying additional installer modules …
Installing additional modules …
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel
modules. This may take a while.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: To build modules for other installed kernels, run
VirtualBox Guest Additions: /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup <version>
VirtualBox Guest Additions: or
VirtualBox Guest Additions: /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup all
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the modules for kernel
4.12.14-lp150.12.48-default.
dracut: Executing: /usr/bin/dracut -f --kver 4.12.14-lp150.12.48-default
dracut: *** Including module: bash ***
dracut: *** Including module: systemd ***
dracut: *** Including module: warpclock ***
dracut: *** Including module: systemd-initrd ***
dracut: *** Including module: i18n ***
dracut: Could not find FONT_MAP none!
dracut: *** Including module: drm ***
dracut: *** Including module: plymouth ***
dracut: *** Including module: btrfs ***
dracut: *** Including module: kernel-modules ***
dracut: *** Including module: resume ***
dracut: *** Including module: rootfs-block ***
dracut: *** Including module: suse-xfs ***
dracut: *** Including module: terminfo ***
dracut: *** Including module: udev-rules ***
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 40-redhat.rules
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 50-firmware.rules
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 50-udev.rules
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 91-permissions.rules
dracut: Skipping udev rule: 80-drivers-modprobe.rules

dracut: *** Including module: dracut-systemd ***
dracut: *** Including module: haveged ***
dracut: *** Including module: ostree ***
dracut: *** Including module: usrmount ***
dracut: *** Including module: base ***
dracut: *** Including module: fs-lib ***
dracut: *** Including module: shutdown ***
dracut: *** Including module: suse ***
dracut: *** Including modules done ***
dracut: *** Installing kernel module dependencies and firmware ***
dracut: *** Installing kernel module dependencies and firmware done ***
dracut: *** Resolving executable dependencies ***
dracut: *** Resolving executable dependencies done***
dracut: *** Hardlinking files ***
dracut: *** Hardlinking files done ***
dracut: *** Stripping files ***
dracut: *** Stripping files done ***
dracut: *** Generating early-microcode cpio image ***
dracut: *** Constructing GenuineIntel.bin ****
dracut: *** Store current command line parameters ***
dracut: Stored kernel commandline:
dracut: resume=UUID=62ec375b-1be3-4d3b-b001-7a9e407168e2
dracut: root=UUID=4c257e89-c84c-41dc-8bdd-a61610b0d4ac rootfstype=btrfs rootflags=rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=267,subvol=/@/.snapshots/1/snapshot,subvol=@/.snapshots/1/snapshot
dracut: *** Creating image file ‘/boot/initrd-4.12.14-lp150.12.48-default’ ***
dracut: *** Creating initramfs image file ‘/boot/initrd-4.12.14-lp150.12.48-default’ done ***
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Running kernel modules will not be replaced until
the system is restarted

And when I try to install the packages you said, they appear already installed:

‘kernel-devel’ is already installed.
No update candidate for ‘kernel-devel-4.12.14-lp150.12.48.1.noarch’. The highest available version is already installed.
‘make’ is already installed.
No update candidate for ‘make-4.2.1-lp150.6.3.1.x86_64’. The highest available version is already installed.
‘kernel-default-devel’ is already installed.
No update candidate for ‘kernel-default-devel-4.12.14-lp150.12.48.1.x86_64’. The highest available version is already installed.

And after uninstall of all packages and guest additions here are the files remaining excluding irrelevant ones (mimetypes are only svg and png files and Qt5 are just files installed by Qt, like include and documentation files), not sure of which will help after removal:

Leap15:~> locate -r “virtualbox|vbox” | grep -v “mimetypes|Qt5”
/dev/vboxguest
/dev/vboxuser
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkvbox.h
/usr/lib/virtualbox
/usr/lib64/libvirt/connection-driver/libvirt_driver_vbox.so
/usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/48/virtualbox.svg
/usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/48/virtualbox.svg

Anyway, I tried reinstalling after reboot but the issue is still present, I’ll now try to install Leap 15.1 just to see if this issue is present too or not.

Thanks again both.

Edit: and if it can help, the desktop manager in use is LXDE.

Both Leap 15.0 and 15.1 are at VBox 6.0 currently and AFAIK those guest packages are not going to work properly with the VBox 6.1 version you are using on your host.
You may be able to build the needed packages for 6.1 as** tsu2 **suggested but I’m not able to comment on that.
You may also try to downgrade VBox on your host to a 6.0 version and see if LEAP (15.0 or 15.1) is working there as you expect.

My two cents.

Thanks for your answer,

I actually just installed Leap 15.1 and the “Auto-resize Guest Display” is working as expected, however, and this is why I’m careful in the idea of upgrading to Leap 15.1, on a few minutes using it I already have two blocking issues (like at first versions of Leap 15.0 where we even had zypper broken once) and one minor one:

• LXDE is not working, when I select it in “Desktop Sessions” an login I’ve a black screen and then be send back to login screen,
  • The “Main Update Repository” is not working (“no valid metadata found at specified URL”),
  • The minor one: I see virtualbox version is v6.0.6, then inferior to the one on Leap 15.0 (but there will maybe be an higher version available when main update repository will be fixed).

I’ll also try installing Leap 15.0 from the original DVD since we use a custom one, furthermore, with autoyast and specific settings and post install scripts run, maybe there is something missing on our install.

In fact I’m facing the same problems when installing Leap 15.0, I may not have seen it on our installation since we cloned official repositories to ensure always be able to have access them, however, even if now available “Auto-resize Guest Display” is not working but still, I can change the screen resolution.

Also, I’ve seen, both on 15.0 and 15.1, when installing VBox additions there is no log around dracut like in our install:

Verifying archive integrity… All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 6.1.0 Guest Additions for Linux…
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 6.1.0 of VirtualBox Guest Additions…
Copying additional installer modules …
Installing additional modules …
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel
modules. This may take a while.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: To build modules for other installed kernels, run
VirtualBox Guest Additions: /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup <version>
VirtualBox Guest Additions: or
VirtualBox Guest Additions: /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup all
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Kernel headers not found for target kernel
4.12.14-lp150.11-default. Please install them and execute
/sbin/rcvboxadd setup
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Running kernel modules will not be replaced until
the system is restarted

First,
For 15.0, as I described you may have to purge the system of VBox files when an uninstall won’t remove all files that might affect your system. If you have questions about how to do this because you haven’t used the “locate” utility, you can either search this Forum using the keyword “locate” for other instances I’ve described or post what you’ve done and I can comment. I have a system running VBox on Win10 running Guest Additions set up as I described (Guest Additions installed by running the virtual CDROM ISO file).

I’m guessing you may already have your kernel headers and “make” installed because they’re required by whatever project you’re building in your VM. But, although I haven’t looked at the VBox logfile recently, yours does not look like what I’m used to seeing, I seem to remember more detailed entries about the individual kernel modules being built and did not include all those dracut entries… In fact, I’m not sure why dracut is even mentioned since I would assume that is an external step but who knows… Maybe the flow has changed recently and this is all the new stuff.

But, as Sauerland described and I’ve noted, especially if you want to distribute an “appliance” that is supported by updated and patches for the next 18 months or so, you must switch to 15.1. It’s a minor version upgrade, so it’s unlikely that anything you’re building will be broken.

Commenting your other concerns…

• LXDE has been an orphaned DE for about 3 years now, although openSUSE continues to maintain it, all its upstream developers left and are currently improving LXQt. I strongly recommend that you should also migrate your project to LXQt for this reason, although LXDE will continue to work (no date set for deprecation), you’ll likely find that LXQt should work better into the future.
  • If the machine is 15.0, the Update Repository will be soon if not already “dead” and no longer receive updates. Otherwise, it could be a transient problem.
  • If you are running on a Windows HostOS, your Guests will not work with 6.06 Guest Additions. As I described, these machines may require not just uninstalling but removing old Guest Additions, particularly if they were installed using openSUSE packages as you described in your original post.

TSU

Thanks again.

For remaining files I already posted in #6](https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/538518-Screen-resolution-stuck-on-Leap-15-VirtualBox-guest?p=2922548#post2922548) the files remaining excluding irrelevant ones (mimetypes are only svg and png files and Qt5 are just files installed by Qt, like include and documentation files), not sure of which will help after removal:

Leap15:~> locate -r “virtualbox|vbox” | grep -v “mimetypes|Qt5”
/dev/vboxguest
/dev/vboxuser
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtkvbox.h
/usr/lib/virtualbox
/usr/lib64/libvirt/connection-driver/libvirt_driver_vbox.so
/usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/48/virtualbox.svg
/usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/48/virtualbox.svg

And seeing it again pointed me to /usr/lib64/libvirt/connection-driver/libvirt_driver_vbox.so that, thanks to rpm -qf, I found it comes from libvirt-daemon-driver-vbox package, that I’ve seen is not installed in Leap 15.0 fresh install, I then uninstalled it and all libvirt stuff but I think other located files has no influence on guest additions (just not sure for /dev/vbox*).

For Leap 15.1, as I said in #8](https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/538518-Screen-resolution-stuck-on-Leap-15-VirtualBox-guest?p=2922556#post2922556), “Main Update Repository” is not working (“no valid metadata found at specified URL”) then it is not possible to install it properly for now.

For LXDE, ideally we would have use plasma, but we had to use LXDE this we have a screen inside our machine (not use for “classic” display) that was not properly managed, which is under LXDE, but I’ll give a try to LXQt.

And finally, for the fact that this is a Windows host OS, I assume this is not an issue since it works from an install with the original official DVD.

In any case still no success, I’ll try reinstalling and doing all the cleaning prior to install guest additions.

@antoinep:

As suggested by OrsoBruno, have you downgrading the Windows Host to v6.0.12?

@dcurtisfra:

Thanks but yes I tried and it is not working either, and as I said, I pretty sure the issue is not on VirtualBox side, since, even with VirtualBox 6.1.0 installed on host, when performing a “normal” install from original Leap 15.0 DVD, even if “Auto-resize Guest Display” is not working, there are several resolutions available (not only 640x480) and working.

Edit: Also, if I look at loaded modules on original Leap 15.0 install, I can see there is actually a vboxvideo module loaded (seen from lsmod) and this is not the case on our autoyast custom install, I’ll extract packages installed on both from “Autoinstalltion cloning system” in yast 2 on both installations and compare them to see if there is something relevant.

You have read:
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/538518-Screen-resolution-stuck-on-Leap-15-VirtualBox-guest?p=2922553#post2922553

So you deinstalled all virtualbox packages from the Guest and installed the 6.1 Guest package from Virtualbox once more?

Or installed Virtaulbox 6.0 on the host?

Yesterday I found a couple aged VBox machines, one a 15.0 and the other a 15.1, so over the past 24hrs I spent some time running various experiments verifying and exploring issues related to this situation.

Scenarios explored…
HostOS - Virtualbox 6.1 running on MSWindows10 (AFAIK openSUSE 15.1 currently does not support 6.1)
Guest 1 - openSUSE 15.1 /LXQt with VBox 6.0 Guest Additions installed from the openSUSE repositories. VM last accessed about 8 months ago
Guest 2 - openSUSE 15.0/MATE with VBox 6.0 Guest Additions installed from the openSUSE. VM last accessed about 7 months ago

First, and basic observations.
VBox 6.1 is a major upgrade from 6.0 despite the minor naming version. For this reason, you probably won’t want to downgrade to 6.0
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog
Not surprisingly, I found that 6.0 Guest Additions from either the openSUSE repositories or built from the Oracle Guest Additions ISO won’t work with 6.1, you have to build and install 6.1 Guest Additions since currently it’s not provided by openSUSE.
There should not be a need to uninstall old Guest Additions when building from the Oracle Guest Additions ISO, the difference is that if the scripted installer detects old version(s), you will be informed and prompted to acknowledge that old additions “may” be removed during the new build.

Guest 1
Verified display automatic re-sizing does not work which is an indication of old Guest Additions.
Updated first and rebooted. I didn’t test, but believe that rebooting is essential to activate the newly installed/updated kernel because I suspect that building on the outdated kernel may not work properly.
Ran the Guest Additions build which displayed the notification about the old Guest Additions, and then proceeded. Interestingly, this test ended with errors related to the display kernel modules, but when terminated the script and rebooted, everything appears to be working fine.

Guest 2
Because of the following fundamental problem I found in this 15.0 VM unrelated to Virtualbox issues, I **highly **recommend that anyone running a 15.0 Guest **immediately **take a snapshot of the Guest machine. Without delay. Now. Before reading on.

The following is critical, when this 15.0 was updated with a “zypper up” and rebooted, the BTRFS file system was corrupted and couldn’t be read. After recovery, the problem repeated so the problem is real, I have no idea how widespread this problem might be

BEWARE - Updating an openSUSE 15.0 with a BTRFS root file system can result in file corruption!

For the above reason, although it’s SOP to fully upgrade before upgrading, in this instance after experiencing an error which replicates, I decided to perform an immediate upgrade to 15.1 without upgrading the original file system and so far the result is successful. I did the “offline” upgrade using a NET installer, but I assume that a DVD should work fine, too. Although online upgrades have worked for me in the past, I don’t know if I would do that when this potentially catastrophic BTRFS root file system problem could be a problem.

Regarding the VBox Guest Additions,
Similar to the 15.1 upgrade, once the machine has been upgraded from 15.0 to 15.1, the result is the same… successful.

Some Misc information someone might find useful…
Running the VBoxLinuxAdditions.sh script from the Guest Additions ISO is the easiest but not only way to install Guest Additions… If for some reason someone wanted to do so, there are “manual” procedures for running the individual scripted commands in a console

The following is for those who might want to install latest VBox on thier HoSTOS. I’m not in the loop on VBox upgrades and versions, so don’t know why openSUSE has not yet updated its packages to 6.1 so YMMV.
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02.html#install-linux-host

The following is installing Guest Additions on Linux, it’s also where you can find other documentation for using Guest Additions Features
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#additions-linux

The following documentation covers “advanced configuration and tuning” plus things like manually installing Guest Additions might might be useful to help identify problems if the automatic install doesn’t work (but should work, I personally haven’t seen a problem on my machines)
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html

If for some reason you’re still encountering problems, this is a readout of the contents of the openSUSE virtualbox packages. Interestingly, the “locate” utility cannot read kernel module files(have the .ko file extension), I’d forgotten about that

# rpm -ql virtualbox-guest-tools
/media
/sbin/mount.vboxsf
/sbin/vboxguestconfig
/usr/bin/VBoxControl
/usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxadd-service.service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/vboxadd-service.service
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-vboxguest.rules
/usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxadd-service
/usr/sbin/VBoxService

# rpm -ql  virtualbox-guest-x11
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/vboxadd-xclient.sh
/usr/bin/VBoxClient
/usr/lib64/VBoxEGL.so
/usr/lib64/VBoxOGL.so
/usr/lib64/dri
/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers
/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input

# rpm -ql virtualbox-guest-kmp-default
/lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.10-default
/lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.10-default/extra
/lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.10-default/extra/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.10-default/extra/vboxsf.ko
/lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.10-default/extra/vboxvideo.ko

# rpm -ql virtualbox-kmp-default
/lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.13-default
/lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.13-default/extra
/lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.13-default/extra/vboxdrv.ko
/lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.13-default/extra/vboxguest.ko
/lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.13-default/extra/vboxnetadp.ko
/lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.13-default/extra/vboxnetflt.ko
/lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.13-default/extra/vboxpci.ko
/lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.13-default/extra/vboxsf.ko
/lib/modules/4.12.14-lp151.28.13-default/extra/vboxvideo.ko

HTH,
TSU

Forgot to mention,
I also experimented with installing VBox 6.1 extensions from the Guest Additions ISO on 15.0.
It worked, but since 15.0 is already past EOL, I don’t know why someone would want to do this.

And naturally, if you took a snapshot on 15.0 as I highly recommended, once you’ve upgraded to 15.1 you can remove the snapshot if you wish…assuming you’ll never want to roll back to 15.0. I always recommend minimal or no use of snapshots any longer than needed, it’s an unnecessary and sometimes insurmountable problem if your diskfile becomes corrupted and needs to be recovered. I’ve only had to diskfile go bad maybe 4 times my entire career, but the first time it happened on a “multi-file disk” I resolved never to experience that again. Always, every disk is comprised of a single file.

TSU

Thanks for all of this, I’ll look into it.

Finally, I tried Hyper-V, that has its issues too, mainly it is very very slow when adding more that one processor, anyway, finding a way to change resolution in Hyper-V (adding, for example for 1920x1080, video=hyperv_fb:1920x1080 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub file then running sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg command and rebooting) made me look the right way to change it in VirtualBox.

Then, compiling different answers I found I’ve managed to changed the resolution, first not to the one I want (looking for 1680x1050 that is the screen resolution), but host command below fixed this issue, to do so:

[ul]
[li]On host:[/li][LIST]
[li]Run “C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage” setextradata “openSUSE Leap 15.0 - VIT” “CustomVideoMode1” “1680x1050x32”[/li] in a command prompt.
[/ul]

[li]On guest:[/li][ul]
[li]When grub2 screen is displayed press c to have grub console (some say to hold shift before pressing c this may be when grub screen is not shown by default, which is for me), [/li][li]In grub console, type vbeinfo to check which resolution are available (this is where host command helped, since by default 1680x1050x32 is not available), [/li][li]Edit /etc/default/grub file changing GRUB_GFXMODE to “1680x1050x32” (line will be GRUB_GFXMODE=“1680x1050x32”) that is by default set to “auto”, [/li][li]Run sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg command in a terminal to generate new grub config, [/li][li]reboot, [/li][li]Enjoy. [/li][/ul]

[/LIST]

In any case, thanks all for having taken time to help me.

What is described here only applies to any openSUSE (virtual or physical) during the initial boot, when the system loads the VESA driver (in grub).
By the time the system boot reaches the point where the User logs in (or would have if you have autologin configured), the VESA driver is unloaded and a more capable graphics driver is loaded. At this point, it’s unlikely that the described display configuration loaded by grub would have any bearing on what happens thereafter.

The VBox Guest Additions works only when the more advanced graphics driver is loaded, and does not work with the VESA driver.
Starting with openSUSE 15.1, whether you configure both a Desktop and WM or only a WM (like IceWM), the Guest Additions should always work as described.
Up until openSUSE 15.0, you had to load a full DE, not just a WM. Loading only a WM did not support Guest Additions.

The only current openSUSE I can think of which would not support Guest Additions is running without any graphics environment at all… ie the “Text only mode Server” and unusual similar setups like JeOS.

TSU

What I know, and is enough for me, is that is works as expected when forcing GRUB_GFXMODE in /etc/default/grub file, and it seems guest additions are properly installed, at least clipboard is properly working, that is not the case without guest additions.

Thanks.