Screen Drawing Issues in GNOME

See if you have

xf86-video-modesetting

installed if not install it because you don’t seem to have it

[ol]
[li][    78.463] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module modesetting [/li][li][    78.463] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting" [/li][li][    78.4[/li][LIST=1]
[li] 78.462] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting" [/li][/ol]
63] (II) Unloading modesetting 
[li][    78.463] (EE) Failed to load module "modesetting" (module does not exist, 0) [/li][/LIST]

What problem? There is no problem, except for that message in the log if you see that as problem.

Why is the driver not there if it’s required to be automatically configured? If not required, a warning should be sufficient or the program code should be fixed. It’s obviously not an issue for the previous release of openSUSE or X.

That driver is not required.
And the driver is there and it is installed by default (not sure about 13.1 now, but at least that was the case in 12.3). Why it can’t be loaded for the OP I don’t know.

If a driver can’t be loaded, that is an error, but not necessarily a fatal one (that prevents X from starting) if there are other drivers available.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the OP’s screen drawing issues.

On 13.1, if package “xf86-video-modesetting” is installed by default and throws up (EE) error, then it’s a bug.

If it’s not installed by default on 13.1 (it was in 12.3) then perhaps it should be, if X is going to throw up (EE). I can’t think of a good reason why it would be omitted.

Well, the OP’s error message would imply it is not installed, because it says:

(EE) Failed to load module "modesetting" (**module does not exist**, 0)

If it’s not installed by default on 13.1 (it was in 12.3) then perhaps it should be, if X is going to throw up (EE). I can’t think of a good reason why it would be omitted.

I will check tomorrow if it is there on my virtualbox 13.1 installation. I’m not near that system now.

But again, X doesn’t throw up. It just can’t load that specific driver (and tells so in the log), but that doesn’t matter in the OP’s case. It would matter if modesetting would be the only driver that supports his gfx chip though, of course.

Ah, I think you misunderstood what I meant by throwing up an error. It just means X puts out an error message [to its log]. I didn’t say “X threw up” - that would suggest it was unable to continue. :slight_smile:

Yes, I think I misunderstood this then:

If it’s not installed by default on 13.1 (it was in 12.3) then perhaps it should be,** if X is going to throw up** (EE).

I will try out this stuff tonight, have a full day ahead with harvest, but I’ll report back what I find.

Thanks everyone!

I downloaded and wrote the gnome live rc1 to a usb stick. When I booted the live stick I got the same white screen as the OP has. The only thing wrong is that there is no
I went to settings and selected a background No luck. Then I logged out and back in and the background showed up Gnome looks good but I still prefer kde

There are some desktop changes even on KDE that need a logout/login to apply them to running apps, but changing wallpaper (background?) isn’t one of them. That Gnome issue then shouldn’t be an intel driver problem, surely not?

It could be a driver bug (maybe only on specific chipsets?), but it could also be a bug in GNOME of course.

Anyway, that background issue sounds like this:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=844891

Yes. It does seem a likely fit.

After several reboots and getting the same white screen having to logout and back I decided o disable the auto login for user linux that seemed to fix the problem

There’s another bug report as well about GNOME repaint issues that apparently are fixed by logging out and in again (this one is on intel i915):
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=845608

Logging out and back in again fixes the issue for me. For the time being I’ve gone ahead and disabled automatic login for my account.

dale14846 wrote:
>
> See if you have
> Code:
> --------------------
> xf86-video-modesetting
> --------------------
> installed if not install it because you don’t seem to have it
>
> Code:
> --------------------
>
>
> - 78.463] (WW) Warning, couldn’t open module modesetting
> - 78.463] (II) UnloadModule: “modesetting”
> - 78.4
>
> - 78.462] (II) LoadModule: “modesetting”
>
> 63] (II) Unloading modesetting
> - 78.463] (EE) Failed to load module “modesetting” (module does
> not exist, 0)
>
>
> --------------------
>
>
I found the same whitening issues while running live cd on virtual
machine(Oracle Virtual Box). The simple workaround for this. It is to
restart shell (Alt+F2 ==> type ‘r’ without quotes and hit enter/return).
When shell misbehaves you go to spank it and it will become a well
behaved kid again :slight_smile:

GNOME 3.6.2
openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

dale14846 wrote:
>
> See if you have
> Code:
> --------------------
> xf86-video-modesetting
> --------------------
> installed if not install it because you don’t seem to have it
>
> Code:
> --------------------
>
>
> - 78.463] (WW) Warning, couldn’t open module modesetting
> - 78.463] (II) UnloadModule: “modesetting”
> - 78.4
>
> - 78.462] (II) LoadModule: “modesetting”
>
> 63] (II) Unloading modesetting
> - 78.463] (EE) Failed to load module “modesetting” (module does
> not exist, 0)
>
>
> --------------------
>
>
This problem is not there with livecd(GNOME 3.10) hosted by
GNOME(project) guys.
But there are a ton of other issues with the live cd which i am yet to
see on openSUSE

GNOME 3.6.2

So it sounds like an upstream GNOME issue? Luckily, the logout/login thing works and I just disabled automatic login and things are working well. That will have to suffice for now.

boblmartens wrote:
>
> So it sounds like an upstream GNOME issue? Luckily, the logout/login
> thing works and I just disabled automatic login and things are working
> well. That will have to suffice for now.
>
>
Sorry i have conveyed things wrong

==>Whitening is definitely “opensuse” iso
(openSUSE-13.1-GNOME-Live-Build0041-x86_64.iso) issue . When i restarted
gnome shell (Alt+F2==>r) issue disappeared. I am yet to test Rc1 fully.

==>The upstream live iso(gnome-3.10.iso) most probably a fedora Live ISO
which was obtained here** doesn’t have the whitening issue. But it has
ton of stability issues and other issues like:-
==>Epiphany crashes a lot.
==>Package manager refuses to work
==>No tweak tool
==>Shell crashes sometimes when “searching” for apps through
“Activities”

** ==> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/misc/promo-usb/

GNOME 3.6.2

Nevermind then, I read that completely and totally wrong.

On a fresh install of 13.1 RC1 I had screen redraw issues in gnome which wasn’t totally fixed by disabling auto login. I checked and modesetting wasn’t installed so I installed that and the issue still persists. The other EE error in xorg’s log was

(EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module does not exist, 0)

but i’m only using the opensource ATI driver, is that error anything to worry about?