Scrambled screen after installing nvidia drivers opensuse 11

Hi guys, my first post here so bare with me, but im getting desperate!

I am trying to get nvidia drivers working under opensuse 11 RC1, but i cannot seem to get them to work. I can install them fine, but after rebooting or running sax2 to see if they’re running properly, my screen is weirdly scrambled and im stumped as to why.
I have tried to use older drivers, but none seem to work (older ones i have to apply the patch too so that they compile).
To show you what i mean, here is a picture of my login screen. And after logging in (blindly) here is the desktop i get.
I am using a GeForce 6200 if that helps at all, and i had the same problem when running 10.3 with the same setup, except running ‘sax2 -l’ fixed that problem. Ive tried the -l switch on all the drivers i have tried on opensuse 11, but nothing has worked.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hi try my guide at the following:
nvidia drivers for opensuse 11.0 - Page 2 - openSUSE Forums

I’m sure your card doesn’t need a legacy driver.

Let me know if that works.

James

No luck =
That is almost step-for-step what i did to install each driver anyway, but i tried it again and i still get the same thing.

I’ve kept searching around and can’t find anything that helps… Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas to get it working? ;-; I cant really do much without drivers

What does the sax -i command on 10.3 do?

– Forget that, it initialises the graphics or something??

The photo’s you post look like some kind of scrambled video memory. I wonder if video memory is handled differently with the default driver.

Can you check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, look under device, and see what it says for driver. I assume it says nv.

James

sax2 -L sets a low resolution. For some reason it didn’t work on 1280x1024, but did any other res.
And yeah, its on “nv” at the moment. If i set it to Nvidia, i get the scrambled screen, but on nv it works (nv is the driver used when opensuse is installed i think?).

The no acceleration-at-all-2d-only open-source driver, yeah, that’s nv :wink:

Haha, Yeah. And its getting really annoying to use. Why the hell won’t the drivers that work for everyone else not work? Im sure it’s not a stupid mistake by me… Maybe.

There is a possibility that the graphics card could be faulty. But lets try some other options before we go that far!

I’m going to have a think for you and consult a few of my linux guru’s from other distros, and see what they think.

Be back shortly,

James

Oh ok thank you for your help. Though its not a faulty graphics card as far as i can tell, as it works fine on winblose, on opensuse 11 with nv or vesa, and on opensuse 10.3 with nv, vesa and nvidia drivers

Hi,

I’ve had an ask around, and it seems like a very strange problem. It seems weird that it works perfectly in 10.3 but not 11.0.

You could try compiling a new Kernel, as the latest from kernel.org is newer than released with OpenSUSE 11.0.

Also which driver are you compiling? 173.14 or 169.xx?

If you want some information on doing that, then let me know.

James

Have you tried the version 173.13 or the 173.08 (beta)
The 173.13 works in the suse 11 beta/rc1

This seems to be another side to the issue I’m having. 1280 x 1024 doesn’t seem to work as a resolution with my NVidia card and the default drivers. The screen is scrambled and at a huge resolution. Vesa works okay in Virtualbox testing. :confused:

Hi again,
Still no luck, and i have recently tried the latest driver, and the 173.08 driver with no success (i couldn’t find the drivers you mentioned Tsandu, if you could find me some links that would be much appreciated).

jameswalmsley: I am currently compiling a new kernel but im not sure about making the ramdisk image. Do i just navigate to the extracted files i downloaded from kernel.org (where ive been building the kernel from) and run ‘mkinitrd’?

Just type mkinitrd from anywhere as long as you are logged in as root.

The will recreate all initial ramdisks for installed kernels.

I think the easiest way to do all this, is build the kernel with:

make rpm

I’ve not been able to get mkinitrd just work by using make install.

This leaves an rpm file for the kernel in /usr/packages/RPMS.

To install simply type:

rpm -ivh linux-kernel-rpmname.rpm

Now run mkinitrd

mkinitrd

Then add the kernel to your grub menu, you can use the disk partitioner in Yast to do this, but sometimes I’ve got errors from that. (Just clone the current OpenSUSE boot option, and modify the Kernel image file to the new one, and the initrd to the new one).

All should work, fingers crossed.

It’s a long shot, so I hope this works for you,
but if all else fails, atleast you’ve learnt how to compile a whole new kernel.

Regards

James :slight_smile:

Ok thanks ill give that a try in the next few days… I can run make rpm from the extracted kernel files folder? (its called linux-[something])

Right, starting to comple now so i should be done in the next few days. Meanwhile, I’m having a problem with logging in… My root account works fine, but my user one doesn’t. After typing in my pass and pushing enter, the screen flashes a bit, and then goes back to the login screen. Any ideas?

Sounds like you are compiling about right, did you do a:

make menuconfig

If not then I think it just compiles some default stuff, like Linus would use on his machine, and should work.

Compilation used to take around 4 hours on my Pentium-D 1.8 CPU but now takes only 10 to 15 minutes on my Core 2 DUO.

The CPU cache available can make a massive difference to compilation performance.

James

Hi again. I have installed the new kernel and it runs fine!!
But im now having a problem with the nvidia driver installer complaining about the headers not existing (i cant remember the directory, but the file is ‘version.h’).
I still have the kernel source folder here, so how do i create a version.h file?
And a side note, where is the kernel source meant to be installed? at the moment im using the --kernel-source-path option when running the driver installer.

Thanks for all your help so far!

If the driver / monitor works in 10.3, then copy the xorg.conf file from the 10.3 system, to the 11.0 system.

Located in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Either use a flash drive, a common partition, or email it to yourself.

Your photos look like incorrect horizontal sync, so the card is sending something the monitor can’t lock onto properly, so it skews it.

if you look the in the /etc/X11 subdir, you’ll find xorg.conf.install, this is usually a decent ‘fail-safe’ type config, and copying it to xorg.conf will get you back to a working desktop again. (albeit possibly not tweaked). Try not to rename the file, as then you’ll lose it and won’t have it for when you really need it next time. Saved my behind a few times.

Lornix